Author Topic: Current situation with Blu-Ray?  (Read 2527 times)

brownbagel

• First post!
    • View Profile
Current situation with Blu-Ray?
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:22:49 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm just so thrilled about Kubuntu, just had it installed on my HTPC and it seems to be faster than Vista at the moment.

But my problem or question is about Blu-Ray. Does MCE at it's current state suppor to play a Blu-Ray? I have a blu-ray drive from Pioneer working under Windows no-problem, but I'm still looking an option here to use it with Linux.

Thanks guys.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Current situation with Blu-Ray?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:17:24 pm »
Essentially, no. However, under the beta 3 version of the upcoming release there is some rudimentary support. But because of the way the "commercial concerns" are busy stripping away our fair-use rights through copy protection and DRM, this leaves the open source community out in the cold!
So the only way BD and HD DVD can be played with beta 3 is it automatically rips the whole disk to HDD first, and the decrypts and plays it from there. But the menu system doesn't work, just basic play functionality.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Current situation with Blu-Ray?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:25:46 am »
Essentially, no. However, under the beta 3 version of the upcoming release there is some rudimentary support. But because of the way the "commercial concerns" are busy stripping away our fair-use rights through copy protection and DRM, this leaves the open source community out in the cold!
So the only way BD and HD DVD can be played with beta 3 is it automatically rips the whole disk to HDD first, and the decrypts and plays it from there. But the menu system doesn't work, just basic play functionality.

Thats the intention, but I could not make it work with my Liteon BD
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/