Author Topic: DivX movies dont play AC3 Passthru  (Read 9630 times)

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DivX movies dont play AC3 Passthru
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:25:21 am »
Even if windows did some upmixing (which I find hard to believe... ) I don't think it could cheat the reciever ...
Maybe there's some setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted but I really do not know where to look ... ??? :(

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 11:02:24 am »
Even if windows did some upmixing (which I find hard to believe... ) I don't think it could cheat the reciever ...
Maybe there's some setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted but I really do not know where to look ... ??? :(

Re: upmixing - it is possible, but of course if you use some player. Some players, iirc, can even do backtranscoding PCM->AC3 for receiver. When playing in Windows, do you have the "Dolby" indicator turned on?

There is possibility that ffmpeg failed to detected 5.1 for this certain file, but I don't think it is the case. Here are my tests for the true AVI with AC3:

Code: [Select]
Duration: 01:31:54.2, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2124 kb/s
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 672x368, 25.00 fps(r)
  Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x2000, 48000 Hz, 5:1, 448 kb/s

Note that there is clear indication of "5:1", plus the bitrate is higher than in your sample.

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:20 am »
Yes Kir, when this file is played in windows the recieves Dolby Digital indicator turns on and shows this as an AC3 file (it has indicators for AC3 and DTS as well ...)
I see the differance betwin your readout and mine ...I really don't know what could be causing it ... I'll try to play one of these files from Kubuntu tonight and see what happenes ...