Author Topic: Is this a bad idea?  (Read 2359 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Is this a bad idea?
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:50:41 pm »
I've decided to use what I have instead of jumping in with both feet and committing to linuxMCE with all new hardware. 

Desktop:HP Pavilion AMD64 3700+ with 1G ram, nvidia 6600, 200G internal, 500G internal, and 750G usb external drives. 
Current mythtv client: HP Pavilioin zd7000 with nvidia go5600 video, dead screen but s-video out works fine
Extra: Thinkpad T21, S3 Inc. Savage/IX8 video adapter, dead hard drive, I THINK it supports PXE.

Here are my thoughts, please tell me if I'm being stupid or if I don't understand something correctly.  I still need to use my desktop as a desktop as well as the minor amount of internet server stuff it does (web server, e-mail, dns, etc).  I also want to minimize the number of re-installs I do.  This leads me to believe I should install Kubuntu 7.04 then using the 2CD version, install linuxMCE 0704.  Going with a DVD install means less options for things like setting it up to mostly use it as a desktop.  Going with 0710 beta means there is a decent chance that I'll have to completely re-install.  LinuxMCE 0704 will upgrade to 0710 without issue (if it works as designed). 

A couple things I'm not clear on, will the upgrade from 0704 to 0710 also upgrade my system to AMD64 binaries?  Will the upgrade include net boot images for AMD64 as well as 32bit images?  Am I setting myself up for a load of extra work and just need to suck it up and wait for 0710 to come out "someday?"

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:31:51 am »
40+ views and no replies telling me I'm an idiot (yet).  I got impatient and did it, now I'm trying to piece my desktop back together, mainly trying to get my internet services working.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a bad idea?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:46:40 am »
I belive 0704 will not uppgrade itself to 0710 64bit. That will moste likely require a reinstall. MD's that support 64bit should only need a rebuild.

If you want 64bit, why not go for the 0710beta3 now?

The CD install gives you more options before installing, like partitioning, network setup and drivers. But after the install there should be no difference in the CD or DVD route...

If you do not mind a diskwipe I prefere the DVD.

Going with beta3 means you might get to uppgrade. There was a uppgrade from beta2 to beta3. Going with 0704 probably means a full reinstall if you need 64bit.

My thinkpads support PXE so I do not see why your T21 should not. It might only do UI1 but there is no harm in trying UI2 Overlay (Not alpha blending).

AMD64 is well supported so is the nvidia 6600 so your core should install fine with the DVD.