Author Topic: MythTv - Front end cannot see the Backend !!  (Read 42306 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
MythTv - Front end cannot see the Backend !!
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:12:58 am »
Hi,

I have the version 30 of the distro (though I believe auto updates now made it 32 - still not sure how, perhaps apt-get?)

I plugged in the network activated and the scripts I was told to run gave an error (Initial_Setup.sh or something like that), it said the was an error by the ">" in the command......I ran the _REAL.sh version of this install script and it gave many apt-get errors, I ran apt-get update and all was cleaned....

Next I got the DCERouter running and the pluto UI displayed.....

I setup the IP (Hybrid/core combination) in the pluto_Admin to be the ip address of the local DCERouter (for any devicde I could see!!)

Issue is when I choose MythTV "watch TV" it tells me that the
backend server cannot be reaced.

I tried to run mythtv-setup (which sounded promising, but required some Xindows or something (and says unable to load XWindows) or something similar....but if I run startx the pluto interface continues to sent things to us...

Can you please help......I beieve I am not setup correctly - I run the mythtvfilldatabase command (as a last resort) just to be told I dont have any cards confgure and "have I read the docs..."

help...as I donlt know if V32 off the kickstart has a more reliable script or not....

Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 11:54:39 am »
Please note that the installation scripts are bash scripts and sh will give you a bunch of syntax errors.

I'll try to play with MythTV today and see what I can find out.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 08:01:41 am »
OK My Bad, Linux inexperience I guess....ok I reran using "/bin/bash" and the script seemed to run fine.....asked me for the username and password and asked if I wanted hybrid (I said yes)....It then asked if I wanted DHCP..I said yes.....consequentially I went back and changed ny Interfaces file to be a dhcp setup (manually).

The script does not reboot automatically and post reboot I get DHCP errors and then the DCERouter process "Not responding on socket. Probably dead" on restart.

XWindows tries to kick off but just sits there and does not load the Pluto UI.

It's a general mess now and I am not sure If I shold not just reinstall....any ideas ?

Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 10:50:36 am »
I tried to set the IP address for all DECRouter items to a static IP address as the DHCP does not seem to want to come up, then I rebooted and now get a hang on the "Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd." that seems to be part of tht /usr/pluto/bin/SSH_Keys.sh script

Now I am completely lost on this and thinking about a rebuild...no issues but for the fact that my NVidia Card 6600 XT is not found by initial Pluto install and I am using the Nvidia linux drivers to get LAN working.....

Anyhow, let me know if I can save this install or if it;s best to rebuild.

Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 12:14:34 pm »
There's always a way to save anything, but it may take a lot of time if you go that path. The reinstall is the easiest way out. The 2.0.0.32 CD should actually see your nVidia LAN card, although for the GeForce you'll have to tell it manually about it after you install.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:14:05 am »
Quote from: "radu.c"
There's always a way to save anything, but it may take a lot of time if you go that path. The reinstall is the easiest way out. The 2.0.0.32 CD should actually see your nVidia LAN card, although for the GeForce you'll have to tell it manually about it after you install.

I reinstalled with the 32 distribution and sure enough it picks up the Network card. Unfortunately the setup query for the DHCP (y/n) does not work....

The initial config in my case gets stopped because I have a firewirecard defaulting to eth0 and your scripts are also eth0 for the normal net card interface.....

I tried settng this to be the ip address in the interface file but could only manage to get static IP working......for some reason some part of the script sets the IP for lota of initial config to be the 192.168.80.1 (which looks like a DHCP generated address, but I;m not sure how)

Anyhow I brought the net up under a static address 192.168.0.40 and can ping external ips and the router.....I ran Myth setup (a new optionin the \computer section of the setup I never had before and changed this to be the static ip) - I then ran the tv and still get the same "Can't" connect to backend server error" - I even changed the IP on all of the devices in pluto admin...but still no go....

Then I tried to set the Interface back to use dhcp but got the failure attempts to "DHCPDISCOVER" on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11 - No DHCP Offers received- No working leases in persistent database - Exiting - Failed to bring up et1:

So I guess this is another cry for help to anyone who can help ne get the Myth Frontend to talk to the backend.

Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 05:50:24 am »
I was also posting here, http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=437, I've been having trouble with the internal network and MythTV.  I finally figured out the network problem with the VIA chip (on an ABIT KV-80 motherboard).

When the system boots, it shows eth0 as my external network, Firewire as eth1, and my GbE port as Eth2.  Between /usr/pluto/bin/Network_Parameters.sh and /usr/pluto/bin/Network_Setup.sh, the startup scripts simply count the number of network interfaces and assumes they are numbered sequentially rather than parsing out the actual interface numbers.  The script then overwrites /etc/network/interfaces with the incorrect setup, and the internal network fails because it is assigned to eth1.  As a quick but very dirty fix, I just edited Network_Setup.sh for IntIf=2 just prior to writing /etc/network/interfaces and everything now works.  I would guess this would be the same reason the quickstart CD failed on network autoconfig for me.

Now that I'm up and running, MythTV still reports no backend.

-TM

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:34:33 pm »
Quote from: "flowflow2"
I reinstalled with the 32 distribution and sure enough it picks up the Network card. Unfortunately the setup query for the DHCP (y/n) does not work....
Please describe this "does not work" idea.

The initial config in my case gets stopped because I have a firewirecard defaulting to eth0 and your scripts are also eth0 for the normal net card interface.....
Argh! I hate when firewire gets eth0 after reboot. It always seems to happen like this for any add-on cards, not just firewire: add-on cards get detected 1st and they mess up the whole thing.

I tried settng this to be the ip address in the interface file but could only manage to get static IP working......for some reason some part of the script sets the IP for lota of initial config to be the 192.168.80.1 (which looks like a DHCP generated address, but I;m not sure how)
This is the scenario on what I think happened:

The CD installer detected the network cards, but didn't care about the firewire card, so your network cards got named eth0 and eth1. After reboot, the firewire card's drivers got loaded 1st, making it eth0, and the network cards got named eth1 and eth2. There's also a possibility that the installer saw your firewire as eth2, but I don't think this is the case (at least I don't understand that to be the case from what you're saying).

192.168.80.1 is the IP given to the internal network adapter.

Anyhow I brought the net up under a static address 192.168.0.40 and can ping external ips and the router.....

I ran Myth setup (a new optionin the \computer section of the setup I never had before and changed this to be the static ip) - I then ran the tv and still get the same "Can't" connect to backend server error" - I even changed the IP on all of the devices in pluto admin...but still no go....
Again, MythTV is not my field of expertise. I'm as puzzled about this as you are.

Then I tried to set the Interface back to use dhcp but got the failure attempts to "DHCPDISCOVER" on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11 - No DHCP Offers received- No working leases in persistent database - Exiting - Failed to bring up et1:
This means you don't have a DHCP server (outside your core) to give your Core an IP address. Assign 192.168.80.1 to eth2 (which seems to be the other network card now).

So I guess this is another cry for help to anyone who can help ne get the Myth Frontend to talk to the backend.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 02:54:25 am »
Quote from: "radu.c"
Please describe this "does not work" idea.

Argh! I hate when firewire gets eth0 after reboot. It always seems to happen like this for any add-on cards, not just firewire: add-on cards get detected 1st and they mess up the whole thing.

ok Firewire is getting eth0:0.....not sure wy but even a swap to have the myth setup use the eth1=192.168.0.40 does not cut it.....I changed in the myt0setup and on the client setup for reference....though it appears that these setting s get refreshed upon reboot back to the 192.168.80.1 I believe.....This is a seperate subnet to my router from what I believe and so cant talk ..... does this make sense ?

This is the scenario on what I think happened:

I remember being warned that if I did not select DHCP I would regret it ;)
So I did but went back to sttic IP - 192.168.0.40 ;)

The CD installer detected the network cards, but didn't care about the firewire card, so your network cards got named eth0 and eth1. After reboot, the firewire card's drivers got loaded 1st, making it eth0, and the network cards got named eth1 and eth2. There's also a possibility that the installer saw your firewire as eth2, but I don't think this is the case (at least I don't understand that to be the case from what you're saying).

I have no eth2 - the main network is eth1

192.168.80.1 is the IP given to the internal network adapter.

Anyhow I brought the net up under a static address 192.168.0.40 and can ping external ips and the router.....

I ran Myth setup (a new optionin the \computer section of the setup I never had before and changed this to be the static ip) - I then ran the tv and still get the same "Can't" connect to backend server error" - I even changed the IP on all of the devices in pluto admin...but still no go....
Again, MythTV is not my field of expertise. I'm as puzzled about this as you are.

This means you don't have a DHCP server (outside your core) to give your Core an IP address. Assign 192.168.80.1 to eth2 (which seems to be the other network card now).

Any other luck on this ...are any other users having this issue ?

FWIW I got Audio CD working on Pluto (via Play Disc) - small mercies, but on a dvd insert the play disc went black on screen and then back to the Pluto Main screen ;( ... any hints here ?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 10:39:33 am »
FWIW I got Audio CD working on Pluto (via Play Disc) - small mercies, but on a dvd insert the play disc went black on screen and then back to the Pluto Main screen ;( ... any hints here ?

i think you need to install libdvdcss package.
see http://www.geocities.com/medencid/ for more info

Dan

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
mythtv backend server connection
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 04:40:50 pm »
OK, now I am at least getting somewhere....

I have audio (CDs and disk files) and DVD (from a physical DVD) working with Name recognition etc.....but have 2 issues...

(1) The same IP issue where when I choose to watch TV I get the error that backend cannot be found and to check if it is running....

"Could not connect to the Master Backend Server..Is it running...Is the Ip address set for it in the setup program correct"

I tried to pull any code youhave relaed to mythtv from the SVN TRUNK folder but this just looks like you are wrapping Myth.....I need to get the code to see where this infinately boring error is comming from......I have run out of options here...currently I have changed all settings to "localhost", "127.0.0.1", my IP address of "192.168.0.40", "dcerouter" etc..etc..etc...but I still get the same errors.......I tried the hack mentioned onthe web bysetting the hostbname to be "null" in the mysql settings table but this also did not work.....

One thing I did see in the Pluto Admin Network settings is that DHCP is checked and everytime I uncheck it seems to reconfigure itself to be on again....also what is the "Internal Network Card....I only have one configured in my "Interfaces" file...or so I believe??

I have both external and internal set to be the static 192.168.0.40 IP address as I know my card takes this address...and I can get to this from Mysql from a seperate laptop etc...

So the only thing for it is to rip open the code and see what the hell this is trying to do....

not being up on mysql, is there a tool that I can profile what MythTV is trying to do to the database, so I can see what the player is trying to connect to ?

OK then the other issue is images...I placed some .jps files in the pictures folder and they appear but when I select one from the pluto interface I get am error message:

"I cannot play this media. Perhaps there is not a valid device in this entertainment area capable of playing it." ??

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:07:03 pm »
regarding pictures ... we don't have a handler for pictures, so they appear on pictures filelist but you can't see them in bigger format. it's not complicated to do that, but we have a big list with todo's.

One thing I did see in the Pluto Admin Network settings is that DHCP is checked and everytime I uncheck it seems to reconfigure itself to be on again

i've ask someone to look at this

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: mythtv backend server connection
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »

One thing I did see in the Pluto Admin Network settings is that DHCP is checked and everytime I uncheck it seems to reconfigure itself to be on again....also what is the "Internal Network Card....I only have one configured in my "Interfaces" file...or so I believe??

We had a bug in Device Data management who display DHCP checked, although the records was empty, it's fixed now.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 10:11:51 pm »
Quote from: "dan.g"
regarding pictures ... we don't have a handler for pictures, so they appear on pictures filelist but you can't see them in bigger format. it's not complicated to do that, but we have a big list with todo's.

This may sound silly, but why have an interface for images if you cannot show them .... ?

I also tried some .mpeg types and was successful to some extent.....what are there a supported set of media files pluto support ? I'm actually amazed that images is not one of the first things on your list given the popularity of digital cameras.......

But at least I got my dvd drive to list at last via manual mounting (took me a bit to find the device!) though the FSTAB entry for cdrom and even my own entry for "/dev/dvdrw /media/dvdrw" won't stick following a reboot......

I am willing to put effort into this as I see some results, but wow it's eating my time and I srill have to crack this MythTv foolishness.....I presume its a front end myth issues as it cannot find the backend..but I have no front end log file showing and when I try and run it manually I get a "mythfrontend: cannot connect to xserver" error message....same for all other apps I try and run....whats the secret to getting another gui to run on xserver under pluto (well I'm new to linux but would love to see how I should be doing this)....all the forums that say how to debug mythtv use these methods to kisk off the mythtvfrontend...any help ?

One thing I did see in the Pluto Admin Network settings is that DHCP is checked and everytime I uncheck it seems to reconfigure itself to be on again

i've ask someone to look at this

I'll try the 33 version as soon as I can to see if this gets fixed...Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: mythtv backend server connection
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 07:35:23 am »

(1) The same IP issue where when I choose to watch TV I get the error that backend cannot be found and to check if it is running....

"Could not connect to the Master Backend Server..Is it running...Is the Ip address set for it in the setup program correct"

I tried to pull any code youhave relaed to mythtv from the SVN TRUNK folder but this just looks like you are wrapping Myth.....I need to get the code to see where this infinately boring error is comming from......I have run out of options here...currently I have changed all settings to "localhost", "127.0.0.1", my IP address of "192.168.0.40", "dcerouter" etc..etc..etc...but I still get the same errors.......I tried the hack mentioned onthe web bysetting the hostbname to be "null" in the mysql settings table but this also did not work.....

Hi,

after some time I'm trying to get mythtv to work, but I'm seeing similar problems as you do. My mythtv setup used to work, but on last few upgrades I quit maintaining it, cause eacg upgrade erased my cards and other settings... I also added diskless MD on Asus Digimatrix, that I couldn't figure right settings for tuner, so didn't know what was cause of my non working mythtv setup.

Now I'm trying to get back into working state, but see similar problems... I've erased all settings on Digimatrix, and tried to setup core for scratch, but now I'm seeing same error. Now I don't know if there is something I fixed in my previous setups...

Anyone with working Mythtv setup? Please give us more info about settings ?

BTW,

one little step further in debugging could be killing mythbackend instances and run your own, with verbose options - in this way you could see what's going on in backend.... Another possibility is to run mythfrontend manually (you have to export DISPLAY variable to bind to X)... I'll try to do the same when I'll have time...

I still like mythtv very much - I've used it in non-Pluto setup for over a year without single problem (although I didn't used it for Live TV - I just recently found a lot of discussion on PVRs, mythtv and their use. One user said :
...if I need to watch live TV over PVR device, then something is wrong with my improper use of PVR. My real duty is just to review/delet recordings that are being made automatically. Who has time to sit bored in front of TV and surf channels ?

I agree with that - my experience showed just that. Also, with Live TV, switching channels looses your timeshift buffer...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.