Author Topic: Commercial installation questions.  (Read 9578 times)

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Commercial installation questions.
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:34 pm »
Is there any kind of control interface that can be used to monitor/control MD's?

Specifically, let's say I have multiple entertainment areas with multiple MD's in them and I want to play different infomercial vids or DVD's on them as I choose.  Is there an interface that I can sit down in my office and choose MediaX play on Entertainment area 1 and MediaZ play on Entertainment area 2, etc.  I've explored the scenarios but that seems extremely cumbersome, I'd just like to select the media and it's destination as many times it will be a one off thing.  (Current promos and the like)

Also, is it possible to, from my office, view what is currently playing on a given MD?

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial installation questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:29 pm »
assuming you have an MD or the core in your office you should, at a minimum, be able to load up the media you want and then using the Follow functionality in the floorplan send that media to the MD you want it playing at.  You can do that for each MD.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:21 pm »
and for controlling other MDs - yes, of course, that's the whole point of Orbiters, they can control any MD. You can just use an on-screen orbiter in your office, choose the room you want to control at the bottom - then that orbiter is controlling that room, not the room/screen that it is actually on. All orbiters are general like this - you could even get a Nokia770/800 with an orbiter and WiFi, then control any room from any location...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:01:17 pm »
What a rediculous question. 

Why don't you install the system and try a few things out yourself if you're planning to make money off it, or is that to much effort?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:01:30 pm »
assuming you have an MD or the core in your office you should, at a minimum, be able to load up the media you want and then using the Follow functionality in the floorplan send that media to the MD you want it playing at.  You can do that for each MD.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to do that with entire entertainment areas?  We have a showroom that has 8 TV's in it.  I'd like to define that whole area and pipe media to them simultaneously.  I tried using the method you describe but the media plays at different intervals which doesn't work for us.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:03:28 pm »
and for controlling other MDs - yes, of course, that's the whole point of Orbiters, they can control any MD. You can just use an on-screen orbiter in your office, choose the room you want to control at the bottom - then that orbiter is controlling that room, not the room/screen that it is actually on. All orbiters are general like this - you could even get a Nokia770/800 with an orbiter and WiFi, then control any room from any location...

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.  It didn't occur to me to use the on screen orbiter, I generally have a Windows mentality and I'm still adjusting to this environment.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 04:12:10 pm »

Why don't you install the system and try a few things out yourself if you're planning to make money off it, or is that to much effort?

A: Was that comment necessary?  I was under the impression that these forums are where you go for assistance.

B: I have the system installed (note my reference to trying scenarios), yet I still needed some help.  I guess I'm a terrible person.

C: Try to remember that not everyone here is a Linux guru, I've stated in previous posts that I'm a Windows guy and have little to no working knowledge of Linux and I'm sure there are others like me.  But the LinuxMCE system seems to offer many features that we can't find in another integrated system so here I am giving it a shot.  Doin the best I can with the aid of the people of this community, with a few exceptions.

You sig says "Needs to work for LinuxMCE".  I'm curious as to what capacity you'd like to work, it certainly isn't support or customer relations.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:57:56 pm »
You sig says "Needs to work for LinuxMCE".  I'm curious as to what capacity you'd like to work, it certainly isn't support or customer relations.
that comment was also not necessary.

For your information: thats no sig. That a flag set by the forum for people with more than thousand posts. Zaerc is helping others every day, thats the reason he has such a high post count.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

For your information: thats no sig. That a flag set by the forum for people with more than thousand posts. Zaerc is helping others every day, thats the reason he has such a high post count.

best regards,
Hari

are you saying zaerc made an unnecessary comment?!?! :o
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:46:10 pm »
Hari was just clarifying why Zaerc's status is "NEEDS to work for..."
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 08:55:42 pm »

the use of the word ALSO means he thought zercs comment wasnt necessary either.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 08:56:25 pm »

A: Was that comment necessary?  I was under the impression that these forums are where you go for assistance.

B: I have the system installed (note my reference to trying scenarios), yet I still needed some help.  I guess I'm a terrible person.

C: Try to remember that not everyone here is a Linux guru, I've stated in previous posts that I'm a Windows guy and have little to no working knowledge of Linux and I'm sure there are others like me.  But the LinuxMCE system seems to offer many features that we can't find in another integrated system so here I am giving it a shot.  Doin the best I can with the aid of the people of this community, with a few exceptions.

A. About as necessary as your "question", you are not looking for assistence you are just being lazy.
B. Then you could have known how the system works, instead of asking for the obvious.  Anybody that has spent some time playing around with this system knows that there are several "control interface that can be used to monitor/control MD's".
C. This has shit to do with being a linux guru, but everything to do with being a sponge.  You want to make money off this system and yet you can't even be bothered to take a few minutes figuring out how to work it.

As for your ignorance concerning the difference between a signature and a postcount ranking...  :P

-- Anonymous

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:57:57 pm »

Just ignore him, it's another one of his lame attempts at sarcasm again.
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:59:34 pm »

Just ignore him, it's another one of his lame attempts at sarcasm again.

:-*
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
I would like to see a screen similar to what's on TV's that show 9 channels (or however many) and what is on each in a little window.  If we could do that with each of the windows showing what is playing on each of the MD's then you could monitor the status of the media.  Extra features would allow you to select a box/screen and then have control over that device. 

I'm currently trying to sort thru the code and learn how to code as I go (not a comp sci grad) so that I can write something like this.  You're not alone and there are non-commercial applications of such features.