Author Topic: Orbiter and WM2005  (Read 12508 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« on: November 07, 2005, 11:23:16 pm »
As mention in another thread, the orbiter only appears to support a limited number of Windows CE versions. Here are my experiences with WM2005 and Pluto 0.32, incase it is an easy fix as it appears to _almost_ work.

Initially I browsed to my Pluto admin site using pocket IE and downloaded the Windows CE installer directly to my PDA.
The installation appeared to go fine, an added a pluto orbiter icon to my list of programs.
When I first started the orbiter and entered the address of the core, it asked if this was a new device or if there was an existing device id.
I selected a new device and answered the questions that followed (which user, room, screen size - I selected 320x200 obviously).
After that it gave me the progress bar where it showed the orbiter screens being generated.
Then windows asked me if I wanted to run a particular file, I beleive it was called something like datebinary.exe.
I said yes and the orbiter program closed soon after that and took me back to the list of programs on the device.
Shortly after that, the orbiter started up again and I saw a few lines in the log, ending in 'got the config, parsing configuration data'.
Then it just sat there until after about 30 seconds or so, windows gave me a message saying my storage memory is critically low.
The device then appears to lock up and requires a restart.

After a restart, I have the following memory usage:
Storage: 14.69MB free (out of 30.53MB)
Program: 73.19MB free (out of 88.33MB)
RAM Disk32: 29.96MB free (out of 31.42MB)

The orbiter program is installed on the RAM Disk32 partition.

I would assume that the orbiter wouldn't require more than 14MB of storage space?

My device is an XDAII, and according to the about screen, the OS version is 5.1.1700

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 09:37:36 am »
Hi,

So far, Pluto Orbiter runs only Windows CE 4.2 (using wi-fi communication) and Windows Mobile 2003 (using bluetooth). We didn't yet run it on a Windows Mobile 2005 and some win32 api functions might behave differently on this OS.

However, the only thing I can think now for Orbiter not running on your device is the graphic engine (pocketfrog). Once data received from the router and parsed, it should initialize the graphic engine and a full screen window should appear. I'll check pocketfrog's supported devices and let you know about this.

There is still another thing you can try. We are also building an Orbiter for Windows CE 4.2, using SDL graphic engine (you can download it from your core using this url: http://<core_ip>/pluto-admin/fdownload.php?filepath=installers/OrbiterCE_SDL.CAB ). Please let me know if it works. I remember someone had problems with Windows non-CE version of Orbiter pocketfrog running on a Win95 SO, but the SDL version worked.

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:31:50 am »
Thanks for that link, I installed it and get the same problem (out of storage memory).

Interesting that you mention that you use Bluetooth with WM2003, as the XDA II doesn't have 802.11b built in, but it does have Bluetooth...
(I've been using 802.11b through using an addon SD card).

If you make any progress with WM2005, I'm keen to hear about it!

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 11:55:04 am »
I too am interested to know if there's any indication of when the orbiter will run on WM2005.

I have a device that can do WiFi and Bluetooth and I don't get an "out of memory" error; the orbiter just hangs after "parsing configuration file..." and I have to reset my PDA.

HTH,
Alex

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:19:17 am »
Hi Alex,

We have here a smartphone running WM2005 and we'll add support for it in 2-3 months. It should also run without any change on your PDA too.

Regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows Mobile 5.0
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 02:25:21 am »
do you support windows mobile 5.0 yet, if not is the project still 2 to 3 months off or might it be nearing completion now

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:19:19 pm »
Windows Mobile 5.0 is not yet supported. Unfortunatelly, I don't have a ETA for this and it might be possible to be delayed after June 2006.

Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:27:14 pm »
any developments on windows mobile 5.0?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 09:17:04 am »
Not yet, sorry. Support for WM5 will be included after June 2006.

Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
Is this still broke?
Tryed on a imate k-jam running Windows Mobile V5 using wifi. Will try again using bluetooth

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 04:35:10 pm »
Hi,

We'll release 41 this week and it will include a "Pluto Orbiter Mobile" for WM 2005 (we've tested it on a Treo).

Best regards,
Cristian Miron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 04:43:52 pm »
Look forward to it. Any hints on what else to expect with .41?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 02:27:51 am »
Can you tell us if there will be any additional support for PPPOE.  I understand that it can be 'gotten' to work, but it si a pain to.  Would be much more simple through the webadmin.  When is the release of the new version?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter and WM2005
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 02:47:33 pm »
we're trying to release 2.0.0.41 today, hopefully nothing goes wrong

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
wm2005 aka win ce.net 5.0 or linux on a dt375
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 05:07:13 pm »
Hi,

this is my first post here, I haven't started using pluto yet (mainly because I haven't installed all the x-10 gears and IP cameras yet)

I'm piling up the hardware to get ready to install pluto

yesterday I got a pair of WebDT 375 since that's what you guys use

I'm still getting familiarized with it but I'd just like to know (and this is really off topic but I can't find anyone else with a dt375) how hard is it to install linux or windows ce.net 5 on these things ?

how "safe" is it to replace the OS, have you guys bricked one of your dt375 trying to replace the OS ? if you scew up, does it just reload to factory state using perhaps an impossible to modify ROM ? (or is the "rom" just a write protected flash that gets overwritten when you do a firmware update)

I'm really looking forward to deploying pluto here !