Author Topic: MOSTLY SOLVED *** USBUIRT -cannot get any remote to work with it  (Read 5205 times)

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
MOSTLY SOLVED *** USBUIRT -cannot get any remote to work with it
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:49:35 pm »
I bought the USBUIRT from www.usbuirt.com and true to it's claim it did plug and pray install perfectly fine into my 0710 Core/Hybrid.  But for the life of me I can't get any remote I have to work with it.  I don't have a Microsoft MCE remote, which I have read here on the forums works well with it. I do have a couple dishnetwork universal remotes that I used with my dish receiver, and an assortment of others that were just laying around.  I go to the admin tool - advanced - media directors - and add the remotes in there using the device templates built in to 0710, but there really isn't an exact match for what I got.  I reload the router and go to LCME, press buttons, watch the red light blink on the UIRT, but nothing happens. WTF?

So should I spend MORE money and get a MS MCE remote, or can someone tell me how I would get one from my existing stash to work.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I cat /etc/hardware.conf and lircd.conf there isn't any configuration info in it.  Are these files used with USBUIRT?

Thanks,

fins

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:49:23 pm by finsdown »

rafik24

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT -cannot get any remote to work with it
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:51:56 pm »
 Select USB UIRT 0038 infrared receiver in the md page in pluto admin,
that sould do the trick.

before you get the  receiver to work you will need to select  the right remote or else  learn your remote ir codes.

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:39:26 am »
Yes, the USB UIRT 0038 is and has been selected. Is there a wiki on how to teach the USB-UIRT the right codes? If I can get that done, I think I will be good to go.

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:24:35 am »
There are a few wiki pages devoted to getting various types of A/V equipment working, including their remotes.  The jist of it is: 1) Add your A/V device through the web admin, 2) Set the A/V device Controlled By to the "USB-UIRT Embedded Emitter" interface that should have been auto-created when you plugged in your USB-UIRT, 3) Go the A/V Properties page of your A/V Device.  Once there you should be able to pick from one of the existing IR code sets that match your manufacturer, or create a new one.  On the page that follows that you have a list of the various commands that are implemented in your device template.  Each one should have the buttons "New", "Test" and "Delete".  If you click "New" you will get a pop up window that by default has "Learn New Code" selected.  Simply point the remote for your device at the USB-UIRT and hit the buttons that you want to teach.  If it works, the window will refresh (sometimes this takes a few seconds) and give you a dialog saying it successfully learnt the code.

There are some good tips and tricks for any troubles you have in teaching remote codes over at the remotecentral site i believe.

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 05:14:39 am »
Thanks very much for that information. 

OK, this may sound like a real Newbie type question, but how do you get a remote to control LCME and MythTV, or change channels for that matter. I'm just using a keyboard and mouse at the moment, but I thought a remote control would be able to do this. Am I mistaken?

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:15:50 am »
I forgot to mention I am using a HDHomeRun to tune over the air HD.  Thanks.

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:11:53 pm »
In the admin website, go to Media Directors and for the MD you want to control with your remote (the MD that you must already have a USB-UIRT or other I/R receiver attached to) make sure that you either have a Remote already listed, or click Add Remote and add your remote.  If you don't have one of the supported remotes, things get more complicated.

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PARTIALLY SOLVED ****USBUIRT -cannot get any remote to work with it
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:47:56 pm »
Well, I went out and bought a remote made by Universal Remotes (www.universalremote.com), model # URC-R7, and it is working with LCME, but there wasn't an exact match in the database for it. So ended up trying a different model. I looked everywhere for a MS MCE remote but couldn't find one.  So I decided to try this one ($29 US at Circuit City).  It works fairly well, almost all the keys map correctly, but there are a few keys which don't work properly, which is to be expected.   So this gets a little complicated?  Can someone point me in the right direction on how to program it? For instance, I need to map the ESC key function to a key on the remote so I can ESC from MythTv.

By the way this is a pretty neat remote for the money. It was quick to program the codes for my AV equipment, and it has the ability to program the ON key to a max of 3 devices. So now when I hit the ON button, my TV and my Tuner come on.  And I could program the remote to control the volume of the Tuner without having to switch the remote input to AUD (audio button).

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: MOSTLY SOLVED *** USBUIRT -cannot get any remote to work with it
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:32:02 pm »
 :)
You can use xev from the kde desktop to identify the keycodes. Then using xmodmap, remap those keys to reflect existing mythtv keys.

A bit of detail on using xev and xmodmap can be found on my wiki entry here : http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Using_the_Gyration_Remote_GYR3101US_%28Non-Fiire_Chief%29
After you know your keycodes, then using http://dcerouter/mythweb you can identify the mythtv keys, and or change them to your liking.

However you can just use the lmce menu. If you find a good button for it on your new remote, something easy to remember or even a button already named menu, map that keycode to "F7" in your .Xmodmap file, and that will call up the LMCE menu during playback, and enable you to exit the mythtv app, or whatever else you may be viewing.

Hope this helps.  ;D
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MOSTLY SOLVED *** USBUIRT -cannot get any remote to work with it
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 02:06:45 am »
Muchos Gracias.  I will give that a try.