Author Topic: Version 0710 release date  (Read 43830 times)

dren

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Version 0710 release date
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2007, 05:43:07 am »
Oh, so the DVD installer will blow my install away?

I've got the 0704 two disc CD release and I tried to install them (I assumed they'd be bootable and install everything) but they weren't bootable.  Were they just supposed to install on top of kubuntu and will something like that be available for 0710?

Edit: Thanks for answering my questions even though (as I've only just noticed) they're answered on the main page when you click the gigantic Download Instructions link.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:53:23 am by dren »

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2007, 05:49:15 am »
Oh, so the DVD installer will blow my install away?

I've got the 0704 two disc CD release and I tried to install them (I assumed they'd be bootable and install everything) but they weren't bootable.  Were they just supposed to install on top of kubuntu and will something like that be available for 0710?

Yes that's what the last DVD release did, I assume the next release is the same as I haven't heard/read otherwise..

And yes the two disc release from 0704 was designed to be installed on top of a standard kubuntu install.  As far as a CD Release for the new version, we'll just have to wait and see I guess ;)  I can't imagine they'd stray from the trend.

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2007, 07:46:32 pm »
Perhaps I'm missing something but arn't the updates updating packages and scripts and bring us up to date so we don't need to re-install ???

The last time I had to wipe out a Linux system was due to a major GCC change which doesn't happen that often.

Or is it that linuxmce is so complex and alpha (no insult intended)  that update scripts are not available.

As I have splurged (is that a word) on fiire, I can't just wipe it out as I would lose my pro II drivers.

I'll ask fiire and see what they say as well.

jca

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2007, 09:17:32 pm »
Perhaps I'm missing something but arn't the updates updating packages and scripts and bring us up to date so we don't need to re-install ???

The last time I had to wipe out a Linux system was due to a major GCC change which doesn't happen that often.

Or is it that linuxmce is so complex and alpha (no insult intended)  that update scripts are not available.

As I have splurged (is that a word) on fiire, I can't just wipe it out as I would lose my pro II drivers.

I'll ask fiire and see what they say as well.

Assuming they use the standard Ubuntu upgrade process for linux, you do not need to wipe out the machine. GCC with Gentoo one of the reasons I dumped it a while ago.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
0710 Beta NOW AVAILABLE
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2007, 05:59:30 pm »
As mentioned by DanielK on the dev maillist, and as reported by hari, the LMCE v0710b2 is now available for download:

http://vt100.at/kubuntu-linuxmce-0710-i386-beta-2.iso.torrent

install went fine, testing is still pending. The faint hearted may want to try it. Don't blame me if it burns your kitchen sink.

best regards and happy christmas,
Hari

ps: there will be no final release till after christmas

Please test and report in Mantis any relevant details on any existing issues. Or if, after searching those existing issues, you know you have identified a new issue, please report a new issue.

If we test and report, then the actual release will be much more stable much quicker.

People are discussing the release in a Users forum topic "0710 beta 2 available".

Thanks, Santa!

cosbear

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 10:47:44 am »
Howdy All:

Not really sure where to post this.  I am downloading the beta 3 right now and have downloaded the beta 2 previously.  I have been downloading the torrent for a whole day and it looks like it will be another whole day before I have a completed ISO.  I am wondering why you all aren't using zsynch for iso distribution.  Zsync can be easily used to upgrade any Ubuntu derivative iso  from the last iso to the new one.  It's available in the Ubuntu repositories.  Zsync  compares the last release iso to the new one and downloads only the new bits and creates a verifiable iso that is identical to the original new iso in minutes.  All you have to do is use the command zsyncmake in the directory of the new iso and it will in moments create a file with the same name and the iso.zsync extension.  The zsynch file is then located on the server in the same folder as the new iso.  The zsync file is only a few MB's.  The end user downloads the zsynch file and places it in a folder with the old iso.  Then from that directory commands zsynch  "old iso"  "zsync file"  "address/new iso"

zsync -i linuxmcebeta2.iso linuxmcebeta3.iso.zsync -u http://address/linuxmcebeta3.iso

In minutes zsync figures the differences between the beta 2 and beta 3 iso's and downloads just the new bits, downloads them and recreates an exact copy of the new iso.  The md5sums will be identical.  zsync checks them at the beginning, all through the process on the fly and then again at the end of the process and produces a report.  My main home distro is Klikit which is still in beta.  We are using zsync for upgrading iso's from old to new with great success and less coasters overall.  The downloads are a fraction of what they would be otherwise.  Saving the end user many hours and the servers much bandwidth.  Just an idea.  It would be especially nice for those of us who a testing the beta's sequentially.  Just a thought, thanks for your kind attention.  Later... cos