Author Topic: OK lets make a list of Australian PLCBUS stuff we want?  (Read 24104 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: OK lets make a list of Australian PLCBUS stuff we want?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 11:45:10 pm »
I'm guessing that Coco Lee, as the manufacturer, would not be well impressed if he knew that his only distributor in Australia was not interested in reselling their products, only in supplying them as an integrated solution. Clearly the market for the former is far greater than the latter!

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 11:52:55 pm »
Just rang Peter and he is going to get the Sales guy to contact me. I told him I was only after PLCBUS components and not for them to sell me a whole solution, he said that would not be a problem.

So we'll wait and see I guess....

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 12:20:52 am »
Sales guy has contacted me, name is Chris Cameron. Explained what we are interested in and that I am not the only one. He is pricing some of the components and sending it to me by the end of day.

Will let you all know how I get on....

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 01:34:52 am »
MOX have provided a quote on most of the major components, although they did not quote the plugin type modules - but they could probably order them I guess.

Markup is quite substantial by the looks of it. Prices (once GST is added in) come in at anywhere between 30-60% more expensive than X10-hk's online prices. Plus they have not quoted me any shipping charges.

The other factor (and this might be the killer for them) is that they have quoted delivery of 6-8 weeks, which to me says that they will be ordering straight from China and don't have local stocks which means we might as well order from online retailers.

I will have a think about what I will do.

regards
Darren

rthorntn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 06:01:04 am »
Yip I vote for a bulk order from X10-hk.

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 02:48:37 pm »
Just letting everyone know I am getting some kit from x10-hk.com
To have a play with.  When it arrives and I install it I will let you all know how I go.
Below is what I am getting, if all goes well I would be in for a bulk buy (if he gives us a good discount :P)

A)   PLCBUS-1141 PLCBUS USB Computer Interface
B)   PLCBUS-2225 PLCBUS Double Button Appliance Wall Switch
C)   PLCBUS-2220 PLCBUS Single Button Dimmer Wall Switch

Cheers
Slampt

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 04:36:41 am »
Out of interest, does anybody know if the PLCBUS-AU stuff conforms to any standard light switch facia plate and wall box sizes? Or are they likely to require modifications to the walls and back panel fittings? Reason I ask is that I am currently renting a place, so modifications to the walls/fixtures could be an issue, and at the very least I need to be able to reverse out all the changes upon leaving... The modifications issue is especially true where current light switches are in solid brick/plaster exterior walls rather than Gyprock...

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 11:26:57 pm »
Slampt,

I have made a similar small order from Futurehomes as they were a bit cheaper. Again if all goes well then we could do a bulk order from whichever can do the best deal.

btw: where are you located?

regards
Darren

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 01:57:51 am »
Hey Darren,

They didn't have prices on the site when I looked so I went with hk-x10, though I am sure he would be able to do similar pricing.
I am in Western Australia.

Cheers
Slampt

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 03:54:20 am »
Out of interest, does anybody know if the PLCBUS-AU stuff conforms to any standard light switch facia plate and wall box sizes? Or are they likely to require modifications to the walls and back panel fittings? Reason I ask is that I am currently renting a place, so modifications to the walls/fixtures could be an issue, and at the very least I need to be able to reverse out all the changes upon leaving... The modifications issue is especially true where current light switches are in solid brick/plaster exterior walls rather than Gyprock...

Colin, this is probably going to pose a big problem for you. You might have to bite the bullet and go CBus. The wireless range will let you replace your existing switches to achieve the same thing. Will probably cost more though.

I'm heading in the opposite direction - I'm an existing CBus user hoping to use PLCBus intead of or in addition to CBus, in order to sell my services to potential LMCE users.

I'd be interested in which way you finally go, as people in rented homes are likely to be rich source of potenial clients.

Best Regards,
RichardP.
PS: How is the video tearing issue?
Best Regards,
Richard

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2008, 05:28:43 am »
Thx Richard...

The tearing issue seemed to go away after lots of messing about. However, I never got over the jerkiness issue.... I am incredibly frustrated by it... have tried everything I can think of in the xorg.conf and nVidia driver settings GUI tool to no avail... Have logged posts in the nVidia support forums and not received a single response. Have just written to Abit (integrated 7050PV) because nVidia don't want anything to do with people who have integrated chipsets!

Recently the tearing came back, its not as frequent as it was (used to happen continuously, now its just occasionally), so I am focussing on the jerkiness as this does happen pretty much all the time - any pans or zooms...

I'm sooo disappointed because as it stands the entire system is completely useless to me. The video is so much worse than the TVs internal DVB tuner, and media files worse than my old LinkTheater, that I cannot justify switching to it myself, much less to my other half!

BTW, I did solve the 60/50Hz problem I had with the Samsung TV.... I could easily get any number of modelines in xorg.conf for 1080p50Hz, but the Samsung would just spit the dummy, or overscan so much as to be useless. Naturally, Samsung ignored any attempt I made to get help from them until I threatened to demand my money back - they called my mobile 3 mins after I sent that email! They showed me a simple setting to get the TV to accept the signal - unfortunately 1) it has to be manually set every time I reboot LMCE, and 2) getting the TV refresh in sync with my media sources did not improve the jerkiness or tearing as I had hoped!

Col.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:53 am »
Slampt, (and others)

The order from Futurehomes did not take place. They took ages to get back to me with a final quote (including shipping) and they wanted $100 (Singapore dollars ~ $77 AUD) for 4 items. So I went and ordered it from X-10 as well. It was much easier to do an online order anyway.

Slampt, has your stuff come yet?

Regards
Darren

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 01:28:56 am »
Darren,

My stuff hasn't arrived yet, tracking says it has left HK but that's it, Kevin at x10-hk.com is chasing them up for me as it should have arrived by now.

Slampt

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 01:13:39 pm »
Slampt,

My stuff arrived today, I was pretty impressed as it was only Friday afternoon that I ordered it.

Now just need some time to try it out.....

Regards
Darren

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 01:28:25 am »
Darren,

My stuff should arrive today, NFI why it took so long it should have left HK on the 3rd, but didn't hit WA until the 10th....

Anyway when it arrives I will install a couple of switches and have a play.

Slampt