Author Topic: OzTivo EPG in Australia for VDR - Macca?  (Read 3361 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
OzTivo EPG in Australia for VDR - Macca?
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:50:50 am »
Macca (or anyone)

Any chance of instructions on how to setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Information_for_australian_users OzTivo for VDR? This article gives info for Myth only.... is VDR integration even possible ... at this stage .. or ever?

Col.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: OzTivo EPG in Australia for VDR - Macca?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:58:21 pm »
You'll only have to genereate a channels.conf file for your area, and upload it in the web-admin.  It's described in one (or two) of the other VDR threads.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:48:48 pm »
Zaerc - are you talking about the same thing as me? This is an XML EPG service rather than the OTA type...

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:43:44 pm »
Hi Colin,

Does VDR work with XMLTV guides? I thought that it got is guide data through the DVB broadcast - basically the same way that digital STB's get it.

I thought you already had guides working when i saw it?

If you still need XMLTV based one then make sure you use Shephard which actually combines quite a few sources (including the oztivo one)
URL is http://svn.whuffy.com/wiki

Regards
Darren

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:22:15 pm »
Yes it does, but as you know EPG in Australia is erratic at best. Channel Ten doesn't transmit any program descriptions, just the title and a copyright message! Most of the time ABC2 transmit nothing, one of the other commercial networks (can't remember which) mostly transmits now/next only. And several of them see erratic - I want something guaranteed reliable :)

I get the impression that the VDR interface for EPG is not tip-top yet either. Sometimes I get swags of channels with no EPG data for long periods - but the missing channel data seems to be grouped in order of the channels, with no apparent relationship to the actual channel. So some channels that happen to be immediately above and below each other might have no data, and then the data starts again for the next block of channels, even if the dividing line between the groups happens to be between ABC1 and ABC2 on the same PS!

Anyhow, that Shephard stuff sounds interesting, I will look into that. I assumed that MythTV could get OTA EPG data as well if tuned to ATSC or DVB? So I had just assumed that the EPG database side of LMCE was more general, and that Andrew's team would have just hooked into that for the VDR integration. Which would presumably mean that an XML service could be added to override that OTA data.... Totallymaxed... are you around?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:51 am »
Zaerc - are you talking about the same thing as me? This is an XML EPG service rather than the OTA type...
I guess not, thought you just wanted to know how to setup VDR, my bad.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:01:32 am »
I guess not, thought you just wanted to know how to setup VDR, my bad.

Not at all, any help is appreciated!