Author Topic: had black screen, hit 5, then 7 to fix, now can't get past resolution settings  (Read 2395 times)

Nephus

• View Profile
There it is in the subject line.  So from what I gather if I've read correctly is that I've chosen svideo at a resolution of 1024x768 to be able to see anything in AVWizard.  That brings me to a screen that wants me to choose my video settings, but no matter what I choose from the svideo list (or any of the others for that matter) it doesn't display correctly and has to go back on its own after the 15 second countdown.  I have a NTSC television, but neither of the NTSC options work correctly.  It seems odd that I can choose options by randomly hitting a few keys on the keyboard until it works, but not only do I have to reinput those same settings again after finding one that works, but I can't choose resolution for svideo.  Is there any way I can force these settings or is there any other sort of workaround?

kano888

• First post!
    • View Profile
I installed everything from DVD and then after all was installed, my vga monitor states that the resolution is unsupported.

Yesterday evening I was lucky to be able to press 2 followed by 6 and then get the avwizard, from where I couldn't get past the resolution settings tab, before returning after 15 sec.

Today I was trying again, but now I can't seem to get the wizard, no matter how many times I choose VGA and a low resolution ??? Im using an old Nvidia gforce 4 adapter for this project!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:31:41 pm by kano888 »

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I installed everything from DVD and then after all was installed, my vga monitor states that the resolution is unsupported.

Yesterday evening I was lucky to be able to press 2 followed by 6 and then get the avwizard, from where I couldn't get past the resolution settings tab, before returning after 15 sec.

Today I was trying again, but now I can't seem to get the wizard, no matter how many times I choose VGA and a low resolution Huh Im using an old Nvidia gforce 4 adapter for this project!!!

I have a similar problem with a laptop I use as an MD.  When it initially booted up to the AVWizard, my screen went black.  I had been through the AVWizard enough times to remember the first couple menus by heart, so I used the appropriate keystrokes as an idea.  I hit [enter] to continue past the initial welcome screen, then I hit [enter] again to select the default highlit VGA - 640X480 - 60HZ, and suddenly I had video.  The only problem is I didn't want to use 640x480, and going back gave me a black screen again.  I never understood why the default was not 640x480 @ 60hz, but I had to carefully and blindly use my arrow keys to select the output and resolution I desired.

There it is in the subject line.  So from what I gather if I've read correctly is that I've chosen svideo at a resolution of 1024x768 to be able to see anything in AVWizard.  That brings me to a screen that wants me to choose my video settings, but no matter what I choose from the svideo list (or any of the others for that matter) it doesn't display correctly and has to go back on its own after the 15 second countdown.  I have a NTSC television, but neither of the NTSC options work correctly.  It seems odd that I can choose options by randomly hitting a few keys on the keyboard until it works, but not only do I have to reinput those same settings again after finding one that works, but I can't choose resolution for svideo.  Is there any way I can force these settings or is there any other sort of workaround?

I have two other laptops that have this identical problem, except I get initial video on the VGA port.  But when I select S-VIDEO, no matter what format I use, I get no video on the tv.  I finally just said screw it, and blamed it on the video outputs of the card being bad.  I assume this because i've had video cards in the past where the s-video output went bad.  One where any tv you hook it up to just gave me scan lines as if the refresh rate was too high, and no resoultion or refresh rate change fixed it, and then i've had others where I got no video at all, and this is not just in LinuxMCE i've experienced this.  Does your s-video port work under another OS?

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology

Some details of what your video adapter is would be useful ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk