Author Topic: Newbie needs suggestions  (Read 2543 times)

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Newbie needs suggestions
« on: February 14, 2008, 03:16:40 pm »
Hello All,

Sorry for the long post and the dumb questions.

I'd like to use LMCE in the following scenario (to begin with):

1. A home theatre with all common stuff: LCD TV, receiver, cable and satellite TV, DVD PVR etc.,
2. Two bedrooms with LCD TV,
3. A kitchen with CRT TV,
4. Backyard with swimming pool and terrace where I'd like to listen to music.

Initially my interest is only media. Telecom, lighting, security and other features will be added later.

My questions are:

1. I was thinking in installing the sever ("core") in the HT, thin clients for the other LCD TVs, and speakers in the terrace, connected to the 2nd output of the HT receiver. The problem is that the server is too noisy but, if I install it elsewhere, how do I control the devices that are in the HT (receiver, PVR etc.) using a Fiire Chief?

2. Is it possible to - say - play an HD show with 5:1 sound in th HT and play a music CD in the terrace simultaneously?

3. Is it possible to watch a TV channel in one room and other channel in another room simultaneously?

4. What happens when two - or more - remotes try to control the same device simultaneously?

5. Is it possible to supress the wizard when I connect a new device?

6. Is it possible to restrict some menu accesses to selected users?

7. I didn't understand the purpose of the serial connectors that are shown in the demo video.

Naturally, the first question is the most important for me at this moment. Please note that I'm in Brazil and some features will be difficult to achieve.

Thanks in advance,

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Newbie needs suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:14:34 pm »
1. I was thinking in installing the sever ("core") in the HT, thin clients for the other LCD TVs, and speakers in the terrace, connected to the 2nd output of the HT receiver. The problem is that the server is too noisy but, if I install it elsewhere, how do I control the devices that are in the HT (receiver, PVR etc.) using a Fiire Chief?
if you want a painless setup get a squeezebox (or compatible) audio player for the terrace.
Simply put the core in some closet or in the cellar and use a silent Media Director in the Home Theater.
(look at my setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Hari)
2. Is it possible to - say - play an HD show with 5:1 sound in th HT and play a music CD in the terrace simultaneously?
with a squeezebox, yes.

3. Is it possible to watch a TV channel in one room and other channel in another room simultaneously?
depends on the number of tuner cards/tuners/frame grabbers you use.

4. What happens when two - or more - remotes try to control the same device simultaneously?
you are talking about the fiire chief?

5. Is it possible to supress the wizard when I connect a new device?
you can filter messages based on priorities. I don't remember exactly but its documented somewhere.

6. Is it possible to restrict some menu accesses to selected users?
there is a administrator flag for user accounts and users also can have private media.

7. I didn't understand the purpose of the serial connectors that are shown in the demo video.
many devices like TV's, AVR's and so on feature a serial port for device control. You can switch the device on and off, select inputs, whatever it implements. That communication is much more reliable than infrared and also features feedback (my Marantz AVR sends e.g. the selected input when you use the selector on the device).

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:10:04 pm »
Hello Hari,

Thanks a lot for your recommendations. The demo video gives the impression that installing LMCE is  a simple task. However, the narrator does not mention that - obviously - he is a highly skilled professional.  ;)

Best regards,

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil