Author Topic: HA Hardware? controller??  (Read 4788 times)

bradleye

• First post!
    • View Profile
HA Hardware? controller??
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:21:04 am »
Hello all, I am remodleing my house and am trying to incorperate HA, i have been using Windows XP media center since2004 and i loove it, however i am not a huge fan of windows so when i googled linux media center i was exstatic to find this place!  So my question is what kind of controler do i need?  My install will be simple at first as i only want to have my lights in the living room dim when i watch tv, but i want it to be expandable so that i can later add some lights in other place in the home that ofther get left on, also considering temp control and gas logs and blinds?  While i understand that this is a complex question from what i have seen the controlers all come with thier own software or use....is there one that mce was designed around.  Thanks in advance for any help. also is there a way to use the serial port and some cat 5 to controle a few devices?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: HA Hardware? controller??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »
I suggest looking at the wiki.

But, there are HA control systems that work very well with this system...

The GC-100, from Global Cache' was the first major I/O controlelr to be supported by LinuxMCE. You can use it to control A/V devices, but also relay pads to control things like drape motors, and sensor connectors for door contacts, emitters, etc...

For lighting, ZWave and Insteon work best, although you can use X-10 computer interfaces.

I connect my door contacts, etc normally used for security to the GC-100, so I don't NEED a panel, although, you CAN add a panel if you wish. (I use a Nokia N800 as my orbiter and house controller, which amongst other things, displays the security keypad).

Again, I highly recommend looking at the wiki, because a wide variety of interfaces and systems can be combined together to produce the home control you need.

-Thom