Author Topic: Zaerc  (Read 3524 times)

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Zaerc
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:47:25 pm »
Zaerc (and anyone else),

Have you made any progress with getting MythTV to work (re: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_M2A-VM)?

I assume that you can still watch videos, and recorded tv through Xine but just can't do LiveTV on this board since LiveTV is a function of MythTV specifically?

cyprus_dude

• View Profile
Re: Zaerc
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:37 pm »
Can i just take this opportunity to say a thanks to zaerc, you're one of those people who can hold the community together.. (note i lurk alot, but intend to put all the info i've learned on the wiki and here after i'm 100% up and running)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:39:54 pm »
You're welcome, and there is no shame in lurking, that's how I started too. :)

I have been meaning to update that wiki page in a while now as the SATA trouble is fixed as expected, and I'm sorry to say but I haven't been able to get MythTV to work at all, (even with an amplified antenna) I get a weak DVB-T signal and MythTV can't seem to cope or maybe I'm doing something horribly wrong.  (Although I also tried mythbuntu on another machine just to test).  Either way I never got more then sucessfully scanning the channels (on a good day). :-[   

But VDR on the other hand does work rather well and as a bonus has less of a problem with the radeon X1250 chipset (ok after a while the gui went black, but have seen other ATI cards do that as well with other parts of the UI).  So I have been playing with that more.  I hope that if you have this board that you can get DVB so you can use VDR as well.

Still the main problem with MythTV and this board are the drivers.  Allthough the ATI drivers seem to be going in the right direction so I wouldn't be surprised if MythTV would start working with the upcoming drivers (I haven't recently tested the latest).  And of course there is always the (hopefully temporary) quick fix of chucking a Geforce 6200 card in, they are around $30 I think. 

Apart from these problems everything else seems to work just fine UI1, UI2 (medium/masking only, no blending), playing video, the KDE Desktop and all (never got as far as making recordings with MythTV though but I'm pretty sure they'll play)  it's just the MythTV frontend that doesn't work (yet) with the current drivers. 

So all and all still a bunch of loose ends unfortunately, but at least it keeps me off the streets. ;)

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:48:52 pm »
Well, my core/hybrid was coming along nicely this morning so i netbooted my M2A-VM system and got it installed as a MD.  It seems to be working great so far, using UI1 as it wouldn't load X with UI2 selected.  I have a pop-up on KDE Desktop asking me if i want to use the ATI proprietary drivers.  I haven't selected that yet as I wanted to research it more, but hopefully that might get the frontend working for myth.

As for DVB, won't happne for a while. I have no TVs capable of HD atm so not worth the expense of subscribing to HD and getting a card for it ;)

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 11:04:56 pm »
Yup, seems the x1250 and/or ati's drivers don't play well with xv overlay.  Problem with throwing in a $30 nvidia card is that the HDMI riser card that came with my version of the mobo takes up the PCIe x16 slot and its through that riser card that I get S/PDIF output :(

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 01:01:18 pm »
As an update, I resorted to ordering a Gigabyte GeForce 7200GS 256MB card with TV-Out so that I can get MythTV working.  Cost was $45 with shipping and taxes, not bad.  Plus, I get alpha blending.  It looks like I should be able to find a S/PDIF expansion slot that connects directly to the header on the mobo for about $10.