Author Topic: Changing motherboards  (Read 3320 times)

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Changing motherboards
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:04:12 pm »
So, I'm awaiting the arrival of my E2160 on Friday to complete the hardware for my Core, but I'm getting very impatient.  My Core will be using a GA-G33M-DS2R as its motherboard.  My main desktop machine has a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard.  What do you think the chances are if I do the install on that machine and then just move the hdd over to the real Core when the cpu comes of things just working out okay?  The motherboards are almost identical, minus the fact that the G33 has integrated graphics and a raid controller and the P35 has extra PCI slots.

I suppose I lose nothing but a bit of time if it DOESN'T work when swapping motherboards, but I at least get some experience with the install process.  Maybe I'll just go ahead and take the plunge.  Then again, I have a feeling my 8800gts in the desktop is going to cause me headaches...

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Changing motherboards
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:48:32 pm »
for that matter, the wiki doesn't give any info on the g33 chipset (at least not searching for g33), so does anyone know if that will even work?

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:51:17 pm »
nvm, the forums provided better info re the g33, looks like 0710 should work fine on it.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:32:04 am »
Personally I would do both, mess about a bit and transplant the drive but even if it worked fine, I'd do a fresh install to get things just right.  And you get to see what can go wrong when moving drives around... ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:14:56 am »
well, i went with option C...transplant my Q6600 from my Desktop machine to the Core machine so I could play around.

attempt #1 at installing went alright (DVD install) and I even got my MCE Remote receiver working (didn't get to trying trasmit) up until the point where I tried to add in my WinPVR-150.  I thought I had read things were pretty much plug'n'play with that card, but MythTV kept giving me messages about all inputs already in use.  I tried to add my Satellite box (ExpressVu 4100) but had to create a new template, and things went downhill from there.  I had an assignment due and a class to attend so I left things there.

Now I'm back and setting up for some directed reading of the wiki and forums before I try a fresh install (I think i've borked the database with random attempts to create devices).  I'll also add/update any wiki pages related to the hardware and/or install tasks I'm attempting to perform as I go.