Author Topic: no icon on desktop to install  (Read 2409 times)

Nephus

• View Profile
no icon on desktop to install
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:03 am »
Well, I managed to finally get around to dusting off my old PC and get Kubuntu on it so I could still dual boot Windows MCE (darn you netflix!).

I downloaded the iso images, burnt them to CDs, dropped the first one in and clicked on the deb package.  It opens up, there's a lot of hard drive activity, then it closes.  That's it.  According to the instructions I'm supposed to have an icon on my desktop and go from there, but I'm not getting anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nephus

• View Profile
Re: no icon on desktop to install
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:46:40 am »
well, played around with it and finally got it to work from command line.  For some reason the new beta install just doesn't work by clicking on it for me.

Also, another bug I noticed was that it refused to accept the CD version of my Kubuntu install, so I had to rip it back to iso.  On that menu, the options listed were On CD or the 2nd MCE iso instead of having the option listed as being on an iso like in the previous dialogs.

So that's pretty much it.  After this horrendously long install finishes I'll see how it all works.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: no icon on desktop to install
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:58:02 pm »
You'll find that instructions generally work better if you actually follow them.  :P
Once you have downloaded the packages, proceed with the installation. First, you have to install mce-installer, which is the software that will guide you through the installation. Right-click on it, go to Kubuntu Package Menu -> Install Package.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide#Installing_mce-installer_from_KDE_Menu

And the CD installation usually is a lot faster if you use the ISOs directly from your harddrive.  Anyway, good luck with your setup.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous