Author Topic: Network configuration questions  (Read 14791 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Network configuration questions
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:57 pm »
No problem - don't forget to use the "persistent" option when creating the static routes on your workstations, otherwise they will disappear each time you reboot!

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 03:32:38 pm »
My 2 machines are XP and Vista and  what I ended up doing is adding another gateway route pointing to the CORE 192.168.80.1 interface, with a metric of 1 under Advanced Options of the TCP/IP configuration.  So any default traffic goes to the default external router, and any internal traffice to the 192.168.80.x side.  I can see my HPMediaVault now and map network drives to it. The only issue I have left which I can get around, is that the HPMediaVault uses netbios protocol by default, but netbios isn't routable I think. Anyway I just added the ip address of the NAS box to the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

-fins

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 09:30:34 pm »
fins - maybe you are thinking of NetBEUI? NetBIOS is routable as a session service both in its native form and over TCP (NetBT), however its name resolution service isn't routable unless you have NBS/WINS server, as it just uses broadcasts. Course you could enable subnet broadcast forwarding on your Core but I wouldn't recommend it. If the only thing you are having problems with is the name resolution then the host entries are probably the best way around this, unless you can turn off NetBIOS altogether and use TCP connections in conjunction with DNS!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 10:14:22 pm »
fins - maybe you are thinking of NetBEUI? NetBIOS is routable as a session service both in its native form and over TCP (NetBT), however its name resolution service isn't routable unless you have NBS/WINS server, as it just uses broadcasts. Course you could enable subnet broadcast forwarding on your Core but I wouldn't recommend it. If the only thing you are having problems with is the name resolution then the host entries are probably the best way around this, unless you can turn off NetBIOS altogether and use TCP connections in conjunction with DNS!
i second that. If you are out for pain (and some say there is no gain, without) you could run a WINS server. Samba4WINS even supports replication ;)

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

finsdown

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 06:58:54 pm »
Here is what HP says to do:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00792602&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3193065&lang=en

It is working fine for now, if it a'int broke, don't fix it.