Author Topic: FTP Services?  (Read 3410 times)

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
FTP Services?
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:58:12 pm »
This might be a really dumb question... but is there anyway to turn on FTP services? I have another drive that I keep all my work documents on etc that previously had WinServer 2003 running on it. I set my network up in such a way that I could access the files on the FTP from anywhere. I'd still like to have that running in the background on my Core if at all possible so that I can still get to my files remotely.

Any easy way to do this?

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: FTP Services?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:04:01 am »
If I understand correctly, you want to be able to access files on your core from your windoze box.  If that is the case, then I'd suggest using scp instead of ftp.  For command line, install PuTTY on your windoze box.  For a graphical client, I think filezilla (from sourceforge) supports either sftp or scp.

If you must have insecure ftp access, then run "apt-cache search ftpd" to find an ftp server (there are several).  I can't recommend any particular one as I've avoided ftp for the past few years.

Another option would be to share directories on your core using samba.

HTH,
Roy

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:07:33 pm »
Royw,

No actually, I was talking specifically about the FTP / SFTP "services" of the out-of-the-box CORE installation, not so much the client connectivity. I'd only use PuTTY anyways (not a big fan of the GUI based FTP clients). I use it all the time for other things.

My question was more directed towards the SFTP services of the CORE installation. Are they enabled by default? I'm not overly familiar with Ubuntu installations (I'm mostly a Solaris guy). Is there someplace I can easily go to modify the available list of directories, welcome screen, etc?

Doesn't have to be fancy... just need to setup basics.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:06:19 am »
Open up TCP port 22 in the firewall and you've got sftp access.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:25 am »
Sftp and scp are part of SSH.  You only need to open port 22 on the firewall if you want to be able to ssh in from the external network.  If your windoze box is on your internal network, you should be able to ssh without any config changes.

HTH,
Roy

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 05:08:39 pm »
K great... wasn't sure if the SFTP services run by default or not.