Author Topic: Disappointment  (Read 16961 times)

AdriaWave

• View Profile
Disappointment
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:59:42 am »
I just finished installing and uninstalling LinuxMCE 0710 beta. ??? ??? ???

And just in case I have did this on two different computers (amd 3800X2, 2gb, nvidia8600gt; and amd 4200X2, 1GB, ati 1250 integrated).

It was nothing like linuxmce vs winmce video, or like quick install, what was labeled on dvd iso. ??? ??? ???

During installation i could not set up resolution for my projector(hd 720, 16:9) on every 16:9 resolution test i was getting 800x600 output, even if I have chose less demanding gui, was slow responding(pathetic), and gui was looking bad, very ugly, so repulsive that it would be unusable even if everything else was working perfectly, my home madded ir wasn't working, even if its works under Kubuntu and win and suse ..., I could not setup mythtv backend, and that disgusting chick video during setup was completely unnecessary, it was replaying it self over and over again ..... ??? ??? ??? ???

I know that there is lots of work behind LinuxMCE and I was very enthusiastic about it, but now for me, now, this look like project without any perspective. :'( :'( :'(

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:10:43 am »
My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, at least come up with some constructive criticism instead of biatching and moaning... (pathetic)

skip

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:38 am »
You are more than welcome to try Windows MCE instead. If you feel there is a lack of perspective, I think you may find the "perspective" you are looking for over there.

Did you listen to the video and read what it said? It states in several places, in text and verbally, that the experience of installing it will only be smooth (per the video) if you use the exact hardware, etc listed in the video. And there are caveats given on screen that extra configuration will be required if you use other hardware.

There are hundreds of people contributing to this forum that have it working very nicely, and are quite satisfied with it. I have no idea what you expected from the interface - if you have watched the video, then it could only be exactly what you expected!

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:58:19 am »
It does not mater what you think or say, fact is lmce is to much hardware
specific and 90% of people will have same problems that i have.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 08:11:48 am »
It does not mater what you think or say, fact is lmce is to much hardware
specific and 90% of people will have same problems that i have.

I suppose its a new form of Darwinism. Those that can read instructions, and those that cant. How many of these complaint threads are we going to have?!?

Seriously, look into what you are looking for before you just make uninformed decisions. it goes a long way towards being satisfied with your choice.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:21:16 am »
Seriously, look into what you are looking for before you just make uninformed decisions. it goes a long way towards being satisfied with your choice.

I think this is just the way we are breeding people in the world today.  People want instant gratification and don't want to work hard (or at all) to achieve it.  I've been reading about Pluto and now Linux MCE for the two years I've been planning my house and only today did I even get around to installing it for the first time ever.  And I had some problems, but I got through them and I am stronger for it.  Thank you and good night.

skip

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:12:48 am »
Speaking as someone who has taken it upon himself to take the whole system apart, and learn it for the expressed purpose of acting as a developer to make it better:

Yes. We have a lot of improvements to make. And we will make them, over time. We can do this faster, if we have more people who are at the very least, willing to test and provide constructive feedback as to the effect of this software on their systems....

Yes. The network setup is very specific. This is currently the nature of the beast, because this system requires itself to become the center of the network for a variety of reasons ranging from being able to detect network devices efficiently, to making sure that telephony is possible without being insane (SIP is notoriously difficult to get working properly traversing NAT, and the solutions for making this work have required all sorts of work-arounds... this avoids that problem entirely.)

Yes. We have a _VERY_ specific set of TV tuners, and graphic cards that we support. We need help developing device templates and plug and play scripts to fill in the appropriate information for LinuxMCE and MythTV and VDR, to keep everything consistent.

Yes. the UI is a bit warty in spots. There are those of us who are being brave enough to dig into HA Designer to be able to change it, and provide better skins. But we need more visually minded people to help dig through and understand how this aspect of the system works.

In spite of ALL I have mentioned above:

In short, there are many of us, who DO use the system daily, most of us AREN'T developers. Just people who have paid attention, done the research, and put together systems that are compatible. Some of us have large houses that are being controlled by this system, on a daily basis, and the system is behaving.

There is no false advertising here. This system is what it is, a unified smart home of the future.

In short,

If you're far too busy to put some time into setting up this very complex system, we have no time for you. Go away, and we'll better spend our time improving this system.

-Thom

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:54:20 am »
Although there is not really an excuse for not reading the directions, in all honesty, it is probably the video that contributes to peoples feeling of confusion with LinuxMCE. 

As has been mentioned before, the video is marketing and puts everything in the best possible light. (I would be curious to know if it was indeed produced by Fiire.)

I think that anyone in this forum would have to admit, that in 95% of the cases, there is no way that one could, in a few hours, have the whole house solution set up and running, with media center, security, telecom etc...

If you read through the documentation you will know this, if you get charmed by the video, you may not.

Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »
I think that anyone in this forum would have to admit, that in 95% of the cases, there is no way that one could, in a few hours, have the whole house solution set up and running, with media center, security, telecom etc...
If you only use proven supported equipment, then sure, no problem, if however you decide to toss in a GeForce 8400GT or use the 0710Beta3, then you should not expect to be able to do this.
The video is made by Paul using some Fiire equipment, and some other stuff. But it was also the hardware LMCE is written for, so it should of course work.
There is a few things not mentioned in the video though. for instance the need for two NICs, LMCE setting up as a DHCP server, pluss other points, but those can be easily found by looking trough this forum or the wiki.

It's not like VistaMCE works on all hardware either, not even supported hardware at times, then again, this is not a simple Media center either.

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 08:55:53 pm »
agreed!

although one thing AdriaWave was way off on.... the "disgusting chick"  (from the) video?!?!  Personally I think she is pretty damn cute! 
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:30:59 am »
agreed!

although one thing AdriaWave was way off on.... the "disgusting chick"  (from the) video?!?!  Personally I think she is pretty damn cute! 

Disgusting was video not chick.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:47:34 am »
Well I agree with geofrey I think she is damn cute too,

Does anyone have a enail for her? Would love to chat her up.
Ok maybe im being sad but who cares ;)

Regards

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:09:29 am »
If you only use proven supported equipment, then sure, no problem,

This hardware lists in wiki are not very usable.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Tested_good_hardware

Most of this hardware could be found on dump, and with todays prices of hardware
I do not want my smart home to be based on old, used, almost death ... hardware
(ASUS A7V600, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe I have them but they do not work any more).

Most of my problems with lmce was with graphic card driver.
Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD is on list of tested good hardware, and it have same integrated graphic card rx1250.
I did not expected in this list to find hardware that need 12 page instruction manual to install driver.

My dvb cards (skystar 2 and HD) are not supported ????? I am sure that they work, there is no reason why
wouldn't work (compatible whit mythtv, vdr/xine, kaffeine ...)

The video is made by Paul using some Fiire equipment, and some other stuff. But it was also the hardware LMCE is written for, so it should of course work.

Fiire equipment is way overpriced, and some of the hardware used in their equipment, not now, but in 2-3 years, would be very hard to replace, for example main board and agp graphic card, and this is from their website:

Quote from: Fiire.com
CPU, memory and hard drive are never a problem to change, however, we will stick to motherboards and video/audio/network chipsets that are known-compatible with LinuxMCE.

It's not like VistaMCE works on all hardware either, not even supported hardware at times, then again, this is not a simple Media center either.

Its against my religious, political and moral beliefs to see my future with microsoft.
And like you said, vista/xp mce is just simple media center, and any linux distro + mythtv is way much better solution.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:11:56 am by AdriaWave »

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 04:21:04 am »
I've been reading about Pluto and now Linux MCE for the two years I've been planning my house and only today did I even get around to installing it for the first time ever.

Its very good that you are not a developer for Linux MCE.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:27:36 am »
I've been reading about Pluto and now Linux MCE for the two years I've been planning my house and only today did I even get around to installing it for the first time ever.

Its very good that you are not a developer for Linux MCE.

So are you going to go cry elsewhere or do we have to listen to your complaining? For some reason, you and linuxMCE are incompatible. Great story, now please go harass the next board where you will complain incessantly. Also, nobody asked for your opinion on the video, your thoughts on developers and so on so please stow that crap. Its uncalled for. Please, go figure this out yourself. We don't need negative nancy's wasting space for the sake of their ego.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:43:57 am by golgoj4 »
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.