Author Topic: Disappointment  (Read 16966 times)

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointment
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 04:31:06 am »
Its very good that you are not a developer for Linux MCE.

How do you know that I am not a developer and this is the reason you couldn't get the system to work for you??

skip

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 04:58:41 am »
Well I agree with geofrey I think she is damn cute too,

Does anyone have a enail for her? Would love to chat her up.
Ok maybe im being sad but who cares ;)

Regards

enail??? is that a freudian slip??  ;)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 05:02:02 am »
Yes. the UI is a bit warty in spots. There are those of us who are being brave enough to dig into HA Designer to be able to change it, and provide better skins. But we need more visually minded people to help dig through and understand how this aspect of the system works.

I think biggest problem with gui, is same layout of for every resolution, width and size of screen,
some think may be looking ok on 21", 4:3 and 380 lines tv, and on 180" 16:9 and 720p projection its look terrible.

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 05:13:11 am »
Its very good that you are not a developer for Linux MCE.
How do you know that I am not a developer and this is the reason you couldn't get the system to work for you??

Chill out, it was a joke for your 2 year long reading  ;D

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 06:21:28 am »
I will jump in here before the Gurus have a chance.  If your GUI looks the same on every resolution and screen size (I assume you are checking this using the AV wizard) then you have a problem.  I can tell you from a week of experimenting that the video outputs are very different depending on how they are set.  Are you certain you have everything connected correctly?  Double check your projectors manual.  And then search here for video/modeline.  I know there are several threads on tweaking the modeline in the xorg.conf to match your particular video output needs.

And as far as the equipment that can be found in a dump, ("almost death" I loved that description) I think you may be missing the point of Linux in general.  The computer/software industry makes gazillions by convincing folks that they constantly need the latest and greatest, when in reality they most certainly do not.  Linux distros, which for the most part are developed by people who don't want to get into your pockets, take a more sensible approach.  Linux works on equipment that is well behind the bleeding edge because that is all you need to get the job done.  Buying more than is needed to get the job done ends up only benefiting the hardware companies, not you.

A perfect example is X10.  This technology has been around since the 70's.  There are plenty of fancier (and more expensive) options out there.  But when you come right down to it, how much fancier does one need to turn on a light? 

by the way, 180" screen is impressive.  where are you setting this up?  in your barn?
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

AdriaWave

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 07:43:14 am »
I will jump in here before the Gurus have a chance.  If your GUI looks the same on every resolution and screen size (I assume you are checking this using the AV wizard) then you have a problem.  I can tell you from a week of experimenting that the video outputs are very different depending on how they are set.  Are you certain you have everything connected correctly?  Double check your projectors manual.  And then search here for video/modeline.  I know there are several threads on tweaking the modeline in the xorg.conf to match your particular video output needs.

I couldn't get any 16:9 resolution to work most likely because graphic card driver.

And as far as the equipment that can be found in a dump, ("almost death" I loved that description) I think you may be missing the point of Linux in general.  The computer/software industry makes gazillions by convincing folks that they constantly need the latest and greatest, when in reality they most certainly do not.  Linux distros, which for the most part are developed by people who don't want to get into your pockets, take a more sensible approach.  Linux works on equipment that is well behind the bleeding edge because that is all you need to get the job done.  Buying more than is needed to get the job done ends up only benefiting the hardware companies, not you.

I know, I have done ten's of linux projects with used computes (my first computer, 10 years old, now its used like home
router with IPCop, then juke-box, wireless router, media player with knoppmyth, car pc with imediamythtv/viaepia board...),
but for some thing like this I do not want to use old computer.

by the way, 180" screen is impressive.  where are you setting this up?  in your barn?

Its in my bedroom, and yes its impressive ;D, i was thinking to put another one in garage to have my own drive in. 8)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 09:43:05 am »
but for some thing like this I do not want to use old computer.
whats the problem with e.g. the MSI MS-7329 for the MD and the ABIT AM2 for the core? You can even use the AMD BE2400 in both of them. Thats a pretty new computer in my eyes.

both are listed in the wiki.

regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »
my problem is 150$ that i payed for FIRI remote control and until now i can't use it even i have Vista but the remote is limited to Linuxmce, i wish i didn't gone so quick with the Linuxmce since its still messy and land of bugs.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 03:48:39 pm »
lightsoul: would you like to help us fix it and make it better?

I'm sick of all these users complaining, without offering any semblence of help.

-Thom

boyofford

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:58 pm »
If you only use proven supported equipment, then sure, no problem, if however you decide to toss in a GeForce 8400GT or use the 0710Beta3, then you should not expect to be able to do this.
The video is made by Paul using some Fiire equipment, and some other stuff. But it was also the hardware LMCE is written for, so it should of course work.
Hi, just wondering exactly what hardware linuxMCE was designed for? (before people throw things at me, LOL, I have seen Wiki, though seems bit limited and un-confidence inspiring)

Reason I ask is think of building a linuxMCE system, but as fairly novice, want to limit potential problems.

Rich

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 02:39:19 am »
Rich,

That seems to be the million dollar question in this thread.  All I can say is try to follow the wiki..

Thw wiki is created by users like me and you, and it is up to us as a community to update it.  As time goes on... things start looking a bit cludged.
I'd like to invite you to help 'un cludge' the wiki hardware page!

Kindest regards,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 03:17:41 am »
I hear a lot about how 'confusing' and 'disorganized' it is. Can anyone provide specific examples of this? How should it be organized? I personally find it to be fine. Yes there are some missing articles, but I don't see anyone trying to get that info from other users so they themselves can add what they think is missing.

Im not a c++ programmer by any means, which limits me to a lot of the lower level stuff which I would love to help with. But specifics go a long way towards solving a problem. And 'confusing' is far from specific.

feel free to pm me even, leave a message about whats wrong and i'll will make my best attempt to add it.

seriously, lets get it figured out if there is truly something there to figure out.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 05:02:00 am »
I'm on both sides of the fence on this one...

I was also impressed with the video - but having watched Pluto for a while, and  understanding that everything is a work-in-progress getting everything to run on top of Kubuntu I knew not to set my expectations too high (yet)
I can understand a new user's frustration (I've had plenty myself, and many things that should have worked easily turned into 8-hour marathons of trial and error), I've really enjoyed that fact that I had to learn and figure things out to get them to work (it gives a much better perspective to just how complex and customizable the system is) but at the same time, I am doing my part by filing bug reports in Mantis - so I know issues will be fixed and I know that the whole "plug-and-play" architecture will eventually work with a great number of devices. I really hope to help this project get there in one way or another (once I get time, I do want to start learning and understanding the source  code - I used to develop video games but I'm a little rusty ATM).

I think it would be good to make sure users know the status of this software a little more up-front (a lot of what LMCE really is, needs thorough testing and is beta at this stage). After all, the only displeased users I've seen have been those that didn't either A)Read up a little more, or B)just aren't beta-testers by nature