Author Topic: Diskless MD in beta 3 doesn't load VDR  (Read 4912 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Diskless MD in beta 3 doesn't load VDR
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:02:35 am »
Just started my Dell Latitude D420 laptop as a diskless MD under beta 3 for the first time. Everything built OK - but during the setup wizard, it never asked me if I wanted to use VDR or MythTV - I'm assuming this is because I am already using VDR on my core and you are not allowed to mix. BUT the message boxes came up in the left top corner saying that it couldn't download VDR and plutovdr(?)

When I watch the boot messages it clearly says it is starting the mythtv (backend? can't remember which). But during the LMCE progress_window when it is starting the devices it is attempting to start VDR! Obviously it fails and I cannot watch TV on the MD...

There is nowhere I can find to tell it to try and install VDR components again... at the same time I told it to install libdvdcss, bluray ripping stuff, and win32 codecs - all were successful. But then again, I don't think it is really "downloading" from the Internet for VDR anyway, I'm assuming it is really getting it from the Core (or not, as the case maybe here!)

My core is AMD64(DVD) beta 3, and the laptop is Intel.

Any thoughts?

BTW - the other functions of the MD work fine, except that it seems to crash/hang shortly after booting. The cursor still moves around the screen in response to the touch pad, but no menus work, can't CTRL-ALT-[F2|backspace|F7|etc]. Just have to power off and reboot. Not sure if this is anything to do with it.

Col.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless MD in beta 3 doesn't load VDR
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:01:01 pm »
You only get that option when instyalling a core/hybrid I reckon.  The problem is that you're mixing 64 and 32 bit.  Your core is probably missing the 64bit .debs so the MD can't install VDR.  I ran into the exact same problem only the other way around (32b core/64b MDs).

Maybe there is a better way to fix it, but I just grabbed the 64b DVD (you'll need the 32b one), mounted it and untarred the tarball under lmce-image/ into a temporary directory.  Moved /usr/pluto/deb-cache to /usr/pluto/deb-cache.i386 and copied usr/pluto/deb-cache from the temporary directory to /usr/pluto/deb-cache.amd64 after which I made a symbolic link (easier to switch back and forth) /usr/pluto/deb-cache to /usr/pluto/deb-cache.amd64 and rebooted everything, now my 64b MDs could install VDR like they were supposed to.  You'll probably have to do the same thing but the other way around, and there is a small chance that you have to (re-)create the Packages.gz file, but I'm not sure as I've tried a whole bunch of things before figuring this out. 

I reckon the best solution would be to have a deb-cache that is structured like the debian/ubuntu mirrors with seperate directories for the different supported platforms, but that was a bit beyond me.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »
oh, I thought that using the DVD install was what allowed you to mix arches.

If I follow your instructions will I just need to reboot the diskless and it will find the debs (ie it keeps checking) or do I need to delete that MD completely and start again?

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »
oh, I thought that using the DVD install was what allowed you to mix arches.

If I follow your instructions will I just need to reboot the diskless and it will find the debs (ie it keeps checking) or do I need to delete that MD completely and start again?

The DVD install DOES allow you to mix architectures...  but yes, you can either delete the MD and start over, or you can choose to rebuild the image as the other type arch by changing it in the web admin and choosing rebuild image.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:13:35 pm »
I think I will delete - why would I choose to rebuild as the other arch type? It is Intel which is what it is built as, if I chose AMD it wouldn't work.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:22:04 pm »
I think I will delete - why would I choose to rebuild as the other arch type? It is Intel which is what it is built as, if I chose AMD it wouldn't work.

sorry, didn't read your entire post... thought you were needing to switch arch types...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »
got it! cool...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:16 am »
Sorry that I forgot to mention that, but the after the reboot the MD should just try again, this time finding the vdr .deb files and install them.

I think maybe if you use mythtv that you don't have this problem as those .debs could be pre-installed by default, but I'm not sure.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous