Author Topic: Linux destroyer  (Read 19856 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Linux destroyer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 02:10:40 am »
well that's a disappointment...based on the topic I was hoping that this would be about a cool new open-source warship...  :D

rofl  ;D
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 01:44:57 pm »
 :D   :D   open source warship
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64 3200, 512mb ram, Silverstone Lascala LC02B

3xMD
Biostar 200n, AMD Sempron 2300, 512

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 03:48:58 pm »
How that would be a cool app to write.

We could then all have an open source war ;)

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 05:36:23 pm »
I always keep Linux destroyers in my fleet, even after I get Linux battleships.  Their attack and bombard stats aren't as high as the Linux battleships, but they are useful for spotting the enemy Windows submarines.

The best is when you first get Linux destroyers and you can go around taunting all the Windows ironclads and fishing boats, not to mention whooping up on the Windows caravels.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:12 pm »
I always keep Linux destroyers in my fleet, even after I get Linux battleships.  Their attack and bombard stats aren't as high as the Linux battleships, but they are useful for spotting the enemy Windows submarines.

The best is when you first get Linux destroyers and you can go around taunting all the Windows ironclads and fishing boats, not to mention whooping up on the Windows caravels.

the funny part is that sadly...there is windows on submarines. Thank god its not for anything critical (since I was there) but it was still scary as a submariner to see the windows logo...you kinda want absolute faith in your boat!
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:20 am »
Why this thread isnt trashed (meaning deleted) by a mod is beyond me.
All threads like this is kept as a warning, just like car wrecks are left in the ditch for some time (some places), or tar-filled lungs are shown in 'stop smoking' campaigns...
In the hopes that some actually do read before they wipe their computer.

Heck, I knew Ubuntu would probably cope with a dual boot install by itself, but I still backed up everything and made sure I had the understanding I needed to before going into my first install. (wich worked flawlessly).
LMCE is an operating system... you don't install an operating system without backing up what you are afraid to lose.

And if you have ever had to reinstall windows you would know this...

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:04 am »
People are getting used to this kind of handholding
http://www.stage6.com/Mac-Vs-Pc/video/2083345/Security

This might also be 'interesting'
http://www.stage6.com/Lab-Rats-TV/video/1255449/Episode-73:-Backup-101
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:11:48 am by Hagen »

danielmayer

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 10:19:06 am »
Now... I try LMCE since some versions and I wouldn't have known that it uses the whole disk (DVD-Ed.)... I'm quite lucky that I read this thread before I tried to install it this evening... :/
By default, I agree with the opinion that it's kind of stupid *not* to ask for the partition. I e.g. use a high-speed SCSI-disk for system partitions (windoof, linux) and SATA-disks for data. I would be really angry if the whole SCSI-disk would have been wiped...

I'll use the CD-edition and take the unnecessary extra time for the double-install... But I petition for a useful installer on the DVD, too.

Greetings
Server: Ubuntu 10.04A2, 1xL5520 on Asus Z8-PED12X, 12GB, 300GB U320Raid0, 8TB HDDs@Adaptec 2820SA + 8TB@Perc 5/E. LMCE via KVM (running); other VMs;
Workstation: W7x64, 2xOpteron 2376, 24GB, 146 GB-SSD-Raid0, ATI 4850
MD: Asrock nv630i, 2GB

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 11:43:27 am »
The CD installer already gives you that functionality.  The DVD edition is there for a different purpose/set of requirements.  Stop trying to stick a square peg in the round hole and rtfm.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 06:24:50 pm »
I really cant understand why people have so many problems. As Hagen said, its folley not to back your data up, or in my case, start with a completely new (or old but wiped) drive.

Now you want to talk about sketchy, The Netgear SC101 reformats the HD when you add it to the enclosure...and DOESN'T TELL YOU. I lost about 200 gigs of data that according to the manual which I DID READ states nothing about wiping existing data. I had to go to their website under support and THATS where it tells you. But I wasnt installing an OS, it was supposed to be an external drive...

That being said, I suppose it would be good for someone when they have the time (i can think of many  things more important than this IMO) it should be done.

And Hagen I see your point about keeping the thread as a big warning to people who install stuff without paying much attention.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 07:13:17 pm »
Here's the thing...  The DVD install is not a typical OS install..  that is not what is was made for...  If you're going to go through the process of downloading media, burning it, and doing an install, have enough sense to read the instructions..  if you don't, and you lose your precious data, don't come whining here because you were too lazy to take another few minutes to read some simple instructions..  I don't have any sympathy for the whiners and even if a message has been added for the new 7.10 when it is released, there will still be someone who won't read the instructions and will go ahead and choose Yes to install and wipe their drive and then they'll post on this forum that they lost their data due to someone's poor design...

quityerbitchin

Nephus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 07:46:13 pm »
Actually, as a strange aside, I've found that MCE has been a Linux Repairer for me.  I have Kubuntu and WinMCE dual booting off a 180 gig SATA drive, and I picked up a 750 gig IDE drive on clearance to be my media storage.  After 3 attempts at reinstalling, because I couldn't get grub to work properly, I removed the big drive and it worked flawlessly... except that it refused to let me read anything off it once I put it back in.  I left it as ntfs so I could use it in both operating systems, and despite being able to read the other ntfs partition on the small drive, it absolutely refused to do anything with the big one.  I fought with that for quite a while before I gave up and went ahead and installed MCE.  During the setup process it detected the drive and set it up with full read/write access automatically!  I'm a complete Linux newbie, so there's no telling  how long that would've taken me to sort out.

So, there's the newbie perspective from the opposite side, just to balance things a bit.

edit: well crap, now it can't read either ntfs partition.  The joys of using beta software  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:11:53 pm by Nephus »

boyofford

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 10:56:06 pm »
should of done bit more research on installing LinuxMCE (thats what I'm doing at the moment lol),
I've found many posts/referances to the fact that the DVD is only used as a clean install method,..
and might of been better to try a more popular/common Linux version (I started with Ubuntu just over a month ago) to start with, at least till basic confidence in differences with windows is gained.

Just thought I'd post this in case this post puts people off Linux as this is a special case (from what i gather) of a new (ish) software.

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 01:47:46 am »
as if it matters, since everyone else has scaled you samb..whatever..

but you whine and complain about the authors of linuxmce not being good developers or professional.... you are a hipacrit... you know what? simple...

you didn't install linuxmce in a test environment first, which everyone in the development community knows is "best practice".  even I myself, my first time, used an old ass pc i had lying around before installing it on my main pc, and i'm an amateur... what an idiot...

besides... everytime i've installed any kind of operating system, i've played with the jasOS (macos X for intel/amd), all sorts of flavors of linux, and of course windows xp, and windows vista....

each time I proceed with the installation, i stop and ask myself "how is this going to partition my drive... is it going to make assumptions, or will it ask me... hmm maybe i should read the instructions first, maybe do a few searches in the forums... yeah i'll do my research first"

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 05:05:43 am »
as if it matters, since everyone else has scaled you samb..whatever..

but you whine and complain about the authors of linuxmce not being good developers or professional.... you are a hipacrit... you know what? simple...

you didn't install linuxmce in a test environment first, which everyone in the development community knows is "best practice".  even I myself, my first time, used an old ass pc i had lying around before installing it on my main pc, and i'm an amateur... what an idiot...

besides... everytime i've installed any kind of operating system, i've played with the jasOS (macos X for intel/amd), all sorts of flavors of linux, and of course windows xp, and windows vista....

each time I proceed with the installation, i stop and ask myself "how is this going to partition my drive... is it going to make assumptions, or will it ask me... hmm maybe i should read the instructions first, maybe do a few searches in the forums... yeah i'll do my research first"

in the same post you used the word idiot and "hipacrit". strangely enough....you werent referring to yourself as the idiot.  ::)
youre not an amateur guy...just a terrible speller. a true amateur would have no idea about anything you just said. to quote mr. cherryhomes.

nuff said.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P