Author Topic: Linux destroyer  (Read 19875 times)

sambadagio

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Linux destroyer
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:53:40 pm »
What a dumb did this install routine with just asking which harddrive and then starts the installation without any double check or whatever... Do you know the brand new technology called partitions? Hey, why do ask anyway? It would have been much easier to insert the DVD and install the data on the biggest harddrive, wouldn't it? Or even better, just take all harddrives just in case one crashes...

Hey, I do already regret it to even think of changing or trying once the linux version... One more good reason to buy Vista!!!

So, and now whish me luck to restore all my data which I just lost because yeah, linux is soooo easy to install... wtf...

Cheers

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux destroyer
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:58:14 pm »
There are two installers.. One for the DVD (which acts as an OEM install disk), and one for the CD.

If you had _READ THE INSTRUCTIONS_, you would have seen, that the DVD wipes the entire disk.

Sorry, about your troubles, but maybe this will be a life lesson to actually pay attention.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:08:56 pm »
What a dumb did this install routine with just asking which harddrive and then starts the installation without any double check or whatever... Do you know the brand new technology called partitions? Hey, why do ask anyway? It would have been much easier to insert the DVD and install the data on the biggest harddrive, wouldn't it? Or even better, just take all harddrives just in case one crashes...

Hey, I do already regret it to even think of changing or trying once the linux version... One more good reason to buy Vista!!!

So, and now whish me luck to restore all my data which I just lost because yeah, linux is soooo easy to install... wtf...

Cheers

Hmmm... you need to read the instructions on the wiki...
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

sambadagio

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:10:58 pm »
I disagree, there is no read me file on the DVD and yes, on the overloaded homepage I did find an install instruction link, but who is going to read it, if it should be so easy? Sorry mate, but every intelligent developer asks before it deletes the entire harddrive with all partitions on it. And if this 3 seconds check is too much for the developer, what about just say after listening all harddrives = Warning, your choice will wipe your HD, partitions, data everything without asking again?

Sorry but this is highly unprofessional...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 07:13:41 pm »
We are adding the warning on the next release of the software. But even before then, before I was a developer, I found the mention of THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA ON YOUR DISK from the Download Instructions....

I'm sorry, but you currently sound like a child who has skinned his knees. I have no sympathy for people who just blindly jump into something without regard of consequences AND THEN YELLING AND SCREAMING ABOUT IT IN PUBLIC.

Take this as a life lesson.

-Thom

sambadagio

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:23:42 pm »
Yes, I will take it as a lesson and yes I am yelling because I am pissed... ;-)

And it seems like also stupid, because I go to:
http://www.linuxmce.org/
click on "Download instructions"
click on "Mirrors 0710 beta 3"
And then I did choose the DVD version, looked to me like the best choice...

So, no text about deleting the HD... But doesn't matter, I am already very happy, that you will add it to the next release. You will help saving some time to other users like me :-)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 07:38:18 pm »

I'm sorry for your mistake, but when talking about those genuine Microsoft Vista(TM) features, I assume you used them to make some kind of backup? Simply restore that and use the CD installer.

Don't people backup their data nowadays?

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:47:34 pm »
I disagree, there is no read me file on the DVD and yes, on the overloaded homepage I did find an install instruction link, but who is going to read it, if it should be so easy? Sorry mate, but every intelligent developer asks before it deletes the entire harddrive with all partitions on it. And if this 3 seconds check is too much for the developer, what about just say after listening all harddrives = Warning, your choice will wipe your HD, partitions, data everything without asking again?

Hmmm... guess you are equally intelligent... and therefore would not blindly go ahead and install from a downloaded DVD without FIRST backing up your ever so valuable data...
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:55:16 pm »
well that's a disappointment...based on the topic I was hoping that this would be about a cool new open-source warship...  :D
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »
So I've been reading this forum for awhile and prodding along through the wiki before I dive into this project and every couple days some idiot gets on this board and complains that he just wiped his drive and lost all his data cuz he was too stupid to take 10 seconds to research what he was doing first.  Notwithstanding that he should have had backups, but the nerve of someone to complain on a message board about their own stupid mistake just floors me.

skip

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:43 pm »
So I've been reading this forum for awhile and prodding along through the wiki before I dive into this project and every couple days some idiot gets on this board and complains that he just wiped his drive and lost all his data cuz he was too stupid to take 10 seconds to research what he was doing first.  Notwithstanding that he should have had backups, but the nerve of someone to complain on a message board about their own stupid mistake just floors me.

skip

maybe we should force the users to type
Yes, I really know what I am doing and I _really_ have read the mAnUaL
with valid case to start the installation.

I've put additional warnings to the Wiki pages.

best regards, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

blackoper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
we could just put in a checkbox saying "have you read the wiki?" yes or no ... and then when they come on here moaning about their drives being gone we can make fun of them

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 12:29:54 am »
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I have never installed linuxMCE and while I agree that an install that wipes your entire drive should come with a big on-screen warning I do know the DVD version does exactly that, wipes your drive clean.  I *think* it mentions that in the demo video, I've read it in the forums, and I may have even seen it in the wiki.  It's actually an intended feature designed to make it easy to install.  While the last version of windows I actually installed was probably either Windows ME (what a flop) or Windows 2000, I suspect that if you use a recovery CD/DVD it will do the same thing to a linux partition, wipe it clean with little or no warning. 

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:32:30 am »
i personally find annoying all the hand-holding warnings that current programs mandate clicking through.  the original poster will likely never get linuxmce working well for him, particularly if he thinks it's "so easy".

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 02:09:33 am »

i know my response is a bit childish but...

maybe you should move back to vhs, pens, papers and filing cabinets. Obviously things like computers are beyond your comprehension. Why this thread isnt trashed (meaning deleted) by a mod is beyond me.

seriously. this is obviously a result of your lack of paying any attention. your comment 'on the overloaded homepage I did find an install instruction link, but who is going to read it, if it should be so easy?' says everything any reasonable person who need to hear to figure out you are a bit thick headed.

In the future, read the manual.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.