Author Topic: Translations  (Read 17386 times)

abooreal

• View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:08:19 am »
hi guys,
   I am doing a translation to Chinese. I got the DB items translated and inserted following the steps found here, but I can't see my text at all (they all appear as square boxes).

Then I tried to use the HADesigner to edit my text, still no good.

I am guessing that this is a font related issue. Has anyone solved this issue yet?

I will try to share my research as I progress.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 02:31:50 pm »
Sounds like the system doesn't have all the needed fonts installed to display those characters properly.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

abooreal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 05:52:32 am »
O...K...
I spent some time trying to translate the GUI to use Asian fonts. Failed, but I'd like to post my findings here.

I converted the mysql db into utf8 format, it didn't do anything to the output.

I later wrote a small C++ function to see if my Chinese data can be displayed correctly, yes all the Characters are displayed correctly in the command prompt. (I tried with both mysql connector and db_wrapper connector, the results are identical)
The GUI still cannot display.

Then I looked into the OrbiterGen code and discovered that the OrbiterGen supports font file parameter input (-f fontFilePath).
The default path is "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts" and "arial.ttf" is attached at the end.

I downloaded the uming.ttf font file (apt-get install ttf-arphic-uming), changed the OrbiterGen.cpp so that it takes the file name alone with the path, recompiled it, copied it to the usr/bin directory, and changed the 2 .sh files that uses OrbiterGen (Sorry I don't have access to my linuxMCE now, and I have very bad memories... :-[ just do a "grep -r OrbiterGen *" in /usr/bin/ folder). Still no luck.

I changed back the OrbiterGen to the original one. Copied the uming.ttf to the default "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts" folder.

Backup my original arial.ttf, and rename my uming.ttf to arial.ttf.... reboot, regen the orbiter, still no luck.
THEN, it totally screwed up my system. Now I cannot boot up the system...  :-[
I am reinstalling the entire thing now. I guess my next attempt is to go with the c_str() functions.

Any comment?

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 08:41:39 pm »
abooreal,

I'm not sure what went wrong, but m1ch43l on IRC (chat button) has a utf8 conversion mostly complete. AFAIK Xine is not playing utf8 encoded files yet but the other apps are all working.

PS Is Chinese readable Left-to-Right? If not, that may be the next issue after utf8 & fonts.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 09:18:47 pm »
I think you're just supposed to put the fonts in there (without renaming them) and then go to the folder and run:
Code: [Select]
mkfontscale && mkfontdir
fc-cache

Not sure if that still works, but it used to be the way to add new fonts to X-windows (to resolve those squares).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

abooreal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 03:36:16 pm »
Thnx guys for the reply...
I don't have access to my MCE machine this week, I will try the method Zaerc talked about.

to danielk,
Chinese IS Left-to-right-able language.

my latest finding was the following:
I discover that the orbiter items are generated by the SDL lib.
It uses the SDL_ttf.h lib.
I did a grep and discover that the orbiter gen used "ttf_RenderText_xxxxx" while there is a "ttf_RenderUTF8_xxxxx" function available.
I was going to replace all the RenderText functions with the RenderUTF8 function, but I will try Zaerc's method first.

Once again, thanks for the quick reply!!!! really appriciated!  ;D ;D ;D

Cidikley

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:26:14 pm »
Hello Jeovane,

Please send your email address to marcos dot nogueira at ig do com dot br.

tks,

Marcos
Hello! I'm also interested in the translation into Portuguese, if I can help let me know something, if you can pass me so I try I also thank.
tks,
Cidikley

samir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:42 am »
hey guys,
has anyone able to use the chinese fonts in the database. The thing that I am trying to do is upload the audio files named in chinese to database. The files are uploaded with the mediasync but I see very wierd characters.even in mysql browser I see that. I changed the collation of pluto_media , file table to utf8_general_ci but still the same , any help ?
please thanks.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »
We need some help making sure that non-roman fonts, etc. can display properly.

-Thom

samir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »
I thought someone was already working on this... hope someone can help me out. I have finished new skin for my hotel project. Very soon I will post here the screenshots.
Thom, thanks for  the screencast.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:27 pm »
If you're doing this for commercial benefit. You must apply for a Pluto license. Furthermore, given the specialized nature of this, you'll need to apply for specialized license conditions.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 05:24:51 pm »
only if he sells it, not as "user" in his hotel
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

samir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:27 am »
it is for my own purpose.

samir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 08:39:53 am »
anyone able to read chinese characters in database or datagrid ?
I have mp3 files that  are named in chinese and whenever I try to copy it to database I get very strange characters. Collation for database (pluto_main and pluto_media both are utf8). I am only stuck with this last problem. Any help will be highly appreciated.
thanks

samir

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »
solved the problem... if anyone needs help for displaying chinese or asian character in linuxmce ... let me know !!

LINUX MCE ROCKS :D