Author Topic: Anybody get DVD install to work for 7.10 beta 3?  (Read 13585 times)

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Anybody get DVD install to work for 7.10 beta 3?
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:11:17 am »
Has anyone been able to get this install DVD to work?:
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3980070 - LinuxMCE Install DVD for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3

Will not boot for me.  I have ubuntu 7.10 running on:
Motherboard Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Green nVIDIA Socket Am2 ATX
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz
Memory 8096MB Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Video Card -  GIGABYTE GV-NX85T256H GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 
Hard Drive  - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD - SAMSUNG SH203N SATA

Any info appreciated.

Lightkeeper

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody get DVD install to work for 7.10 beta 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:06:21 am »
You don't need kubuntu installed if your installing off the DVD, it will install it for you, and now overwrite what you've already installed.  The DVD just puts an image on you disk.  Regardless, that's not your problem.  If the DVD won't boot, either check the boot order in your BIOS a(make sure your CD is the first boot device) or your DVD is bad.
I've install 710 B3 off the DVD many times, as have others.

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:32:44 pm »
Thanks for the reasurrance and suggestions. Must be bad DVD - or something wrong with it.  (This is a new hardware build so I installed the ubuntu because I had the install disk and it was an easy way to prove the hardware works after being dissapointed with the DVD install not working.)

-- I am not finding md5sums on on the download site or (preferably) on the linuxmce website that points to the official torrents:     http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_0710_beta_3

I think md5sums  came through with the download - I guess I just use those? (seems like there should be an independant source.)  I guess I should check my download anyway - and I guess you can also check the DVD after burning?

Burning Question:  It is a single .iso file.  Do I just burn this to DVD or are you supposed to unarchive and then burn?  (noobe here)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 03:28:18 pm »
Thanks for the reasurrance and suggestions. Must be bad DVD - or something wrong with it.  (This is a new hardware build so I installed the ubuntu because I had the install disk and it was an easy way to prove the hardware works after being dissapointed with the DVD install not working.)

-- I am not finding md5sums on on the download site or (preferably) on the linuxmce website that points to the official torrents:     http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_0710_beta_3

I think md5sums  came through with the download - I guess I just use those? (seems like there should be an independant source.)  I guess I should check my download anyway - and I guess you can also check the DVD after burning?

Burning Question:  It is a single .iso file.  Do I just burn this to DVD or are you supposed to unarchive and then burn?  (noobe here)

The Beta3 iso is definietely ok. So the problem you have must be local. Yes the iso is a single file and should be burnt to a blank DVD-R disc. I would suggest choosing a slow burn speed eg 2x and then you may find that the disc is fine.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:14:32 pm »
did you look at the contents of the dvd? it doesnt show a single iso file does it? you need to burn the image to the disc. just checking.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:41:56 pm »

The Beta3 iso is definietely ok. So the problem you have must be local. Yes the iso is a single file and should be burnt to a blank DVD-R disc. I would suggest choosing a slow burn speed eg 2x and then you may find that the disc is fine.

did you look at the contents of the dvd? it doesnt show a single iso file does it? you need to burn the image to the disc. just checking.

Hmmm ..  seems like conflicting advice re files on the disk --
Should it be a single .iso file or a bunch of folders and files? (its all new to me).

More of my history with this:
1. Built new pc.  I had no DVD burner so my son helped out by downloading the 7.10 beta3 install DVD AMD - for me. It started to boot - got the initial screen with the menu where you select install -- then ended up going to blue screen and never finishing. This DVD had a bunch of folders and files.

2. Wondered if hardware problem. Installed ubuntu from a CD my friend Tom had downloaded for me.  Works ok and now enables the DVD burner in my new pc. (the ubuntu CD had a bunch of folders and files)

3. Downloaded - http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3980070 - LinuxMCE Install DVD for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3  - burned single ISO file to DVD - wont boot.

4. Unarchived that single .iso file and burned DVD with a bunch of files and folders -- still wont boot.

5. Downloaded the CD installation: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3980064 - LinuxMCE Install CDs for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3    Get error message wrong architecture.  Maby I have to have kubuntu first instead of ubuntu?  Think I will try kubuntu download just to prove the burner is working.

So I conclude my problem is local - am re-down loading DVD - will burn at slow speed -- is it supposed to be a single .iso file or what?

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:51:24 pm »
Do not unarchive, just select "Burn Disk Image" in whatever burning software you are using, then give it that .iso file.  If you are using builtin windows burning functionality, it is stupid and will just burn the .iso as a file to a data disk.

Also, if it is giving you an error about wrong architecture, are you sure you are installing on a 64-bit machine?  If not, you need to use the i386 install DVD/CDs.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 07:22:27 pm »
i doubt you need to redownload it. you never did answered my question (or was that number 3?) so i will assume you burned it incorrectly. when you download it, it will be a single file (ISO). when it is burned correctly it will be unarchived as it is burned and you will have the correct files on the dvd. unarchiving renders the files unbootable. an iso file is not bootable. do like venom said and burn the image to the disk. you will need to find the correct way to do this. id have your son help maybe. you might want to look up burning image files with the burning software you have on google.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:24:15 pm by teedge77 »
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:54 pm »
I'd like to confirm that LMCE 0710 Beta 3 ADM64 DVD is ok. Problem maybe in not completed downloading, bad DVD or optical drive.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:18:01 pm »
Downloaded - http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3980070 - LinuxMCE Install DVD for AMD64 - 0710 Beta 3  - burned single ISO file to DVD - wont boot.

its not gonna do any good to try to download it again or change his drive if he doesnt burn it right.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:00:08 pm »
Yep, AMD64/DVD is perfectly fine and works. I have built my system 9 times with it. Pop the DVD in, make sure the BIOS is configured to boot from CD, press 3 buttons to choose the partition and walk away (for 10 mins).

Lightkeeper - you have just misunderstood the advice that totallymaxed and teedge77 are giving you. They are saying the same thing in different ways. The file you downloaded should definitely just be an .iso file. This is CD/DVD image format. Internally it contains all the files/folders that the DVD needs to have plus the info that makes the disk bootable. BUT once it is burned to DVD it shouldn't look like an .iso - that's the point, you need to use burning software that understands how to translate an .iso into the bunch of file/folders that make up the bootable disk.

As Venom986 says, if your software is dumb (and it would have to be REALLY dumb not to be able to do .iso's - for example Windows!) it will just burn the actual image file, rather than creating a DVD from the image inside that file!

Get PowerISO - free, and very easy to use. Just start it, chose Open iso, you will see all the files/folders in the window pane, then just hit Burn at the top. 5mins later its done. As totallymaxed says, it can be safer to burn at slower speeds to ensure no errors.

You haven't confirmed that you have set your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD before HDD. If you don't do this, no matter how good your burn is, you will never get any DVD to boot.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »
Yep, AMD64/DVD is perfectly fine and works. I have built my system 9 times with it. Pop the DVD in, make sure the BIOS is configured to boot from CD, press 3 buttons to choose the partition and walk away (for 10 mins).

Lightkeeper - you have just misunderstood the advice that totallymaxed and teedge77 are giving you. They are saying the same thing in different ways. The file you downloaded should definitely just be an .iso file. This is CD/DVD image format. Internally it contains all the files/folders that the DVD needs to have plus the info that makes the disk bootable. BUT once it is burned to DVD it shouldn't look like an .iso - that's the point, you need to use burning software that understands how to translate an .iso into the bunch of file/folders that make up the bootable disk.

As Venom986 says, if your software is dumb (and it would have to be REALLY dumb not to be able to do .iso's - for example Windows!) it will just burn the actual image file, rather than creating a DVD from the image inside that file!

Get PowerISO - free, and very easy to use. Just start it, chose Open iso, you will see all the files/folders in the window pane, then just hit Burn at the top. 5mins later its done. As totallymaxed says, it can be safer to burn at slower speeds to ensure no errors.

You haven't confirmed that you have set your BIOS to boot from CD/DVD before HDD. If you don't do this, no matter how good your burn is, you will never get any DVD to boot.

All good points Colin :-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:39 pm »
Thanks to all who helped diagnose my cockpit troubles with burning the download. However I am still stuck.  Here is what I have done:

Finally found the "how to do it right" info I needed for burning the download at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

namely: 
"In Ubuntu
1. Insert a blank CD into your burner. A "CD/DVD Creator" or "Choose Disc Type" window will pop up. Close this, as we will not be using it.
2. Find the downloaded ISO image in the file browser (available at Places $B"*(B Home menu on top of the screen.) Right click on the ISO image file and choose Write to Disc and wait for burning to complete."

So running ubuntu on the new pc I downloaded kubuntu 7.10 and linuxmce 7.10.
Both ended up on desktop as a single iso file.
I used procedure above to burn each of these, using the lowest speed setting available as recommended to me (4x): kubuntu to a cd and linuxmce to a dvd.
In answer to the qustion previously asked, yes I do have the bios set to boot from CD first.

Next to prove in the ability to burn useable boot disk I installed the kubuntu.
Encountered some problems with graphics - it boots up gives me the initial screen with the install choices, I press enter to go with the first choice, then get blue screen - graphics are gone.
Try to get into terminal mode with CTRL ALT FN1 - get weird display (looks like a monitor test pattern) CTRL ALT FN7 takes me back to blue screen.
Using KVM switch I flip over to windows box and back to kubuntu box -- for about 1 sec I  can see that I have a desktop in kubuntu then it goes all blue again.
By flipping back and forth and working in the ~1sec window when I have visibility into the kubuntu desktop I eventually get through the system, hardware, display  menus to change monitor settings until I get display.
Then continue with display working to click install icon on desktop, answer install questions, and kubuntu proceeds to install.
kubuntu working fine - remove cd, can boot from hard disk everything works.

So now I put new linuxmce 7.10 boot disk into cd/dvd and reboot from the dvd.
Yes the bios are set to choose the cd first.
It boots up gives me the initial screen with the install choices, I press enter to go with the first choice, then get blue screen - graphics are gone.
Try to get into terminal mode with CTRL ALT FNn nothing happens, try shift 1 to 0  (which I saw something about somehere in the linuxmce help) - nothing.
I try the trick that worked for me with the kubuntu installation namely: Using KVM switch I flip over to windows box and back to kubuntu box -- this time it dosen't work -- I just have a blue screen - no desktop.
This is exatly the same behavior I was getting with the linuxmce 7.10 boot dvd that my son burned for me.

Need some help for what to to next to solve this puzzle.

I can download and install kubuntu, cannot install linuxmce dvd - losing graphics.

Thanks

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 09:53:03 pm »
you dont need to install kubuntu first if you are using the linuxmce dvd to install linuxmce. it will install everything for you. just letting you know so you dont waste time installing extra stuff.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 09:59:30 pm »
You may want to take the KVM switch out of the equation.  I have had install problems in the past using a KVM, so I always just get rid of it for installs.  It may not be the problem but it doesn't hurt to try...

skip