Author Topic: Setting up Dynamic DNS  (Read 2218 times)

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Setting up Dynamic DNS
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:20:16 am »
I am now ready for the next step and would like to set up a Voip phone using a Nufone.net account.

In reading the wiki I saw that since I do not have a static IP I will have to use a Dynamic DNS server.  So far so good...

The Asterisk page lists a method of changing the /etc/asterisk/sip_nat.conf file to connect to the DDNS server ( http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Asterisk )

Of course there is also the option of setting up DDNS on the admin page ( Advanced > Network > Dynamic DNS Settings )

additionally, my router (i am running an external network over eth0 and an internal over eth1) has an option for using DDNS.

So my question is, should i be using all/any of these?  will they interfere with each other or are they mutually exclusive?
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up Dynamic DNS
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:45:50 am »
You will need to first set up your account at DynDNS.  Once you have done that and it is active you will have to go to whatever device is acting as the router connected directly to your cable/dsl/modem and set up to connect to your DynDNS account from there as it will be that device that grabs the public IP address from your ISP.