Author Topic: Asus EeePC - almost network boots  (Read 5124 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Asus EeePC - almost network boots
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:35:54 pm »
I have an Asus EeePC 4G. I thought I would see if it would network boot and become a stand-alone MD.

The network boot starts, fut hangs after about 22 seconds!

Code: [Select]
[   22.588975] NET: Registered protocol family 17
ipconfig: no devices to configure
/init: .: 1: Can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf
[   22.594130] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

_

is the NIC driver just not loading?  I know there is a patch for madwifi that enables it..  Does this mean I have to recompile madwifi in the core to get it to work?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Asus EeePC - almost network boots
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:30:19 pm »
What I did to enable a none working NIC was, to modify /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modules and add the required module. Have a look at the wiki entrance. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_P5K. I still have to update the steps for the second boot, where it starts another initrd.img.

hth
rgds
Oliver

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:12 am »

3xca1ibur

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:04:07 pm »
Hi,

I am currently having a very similar problem and am very much a newbie to Linux as well as linux mce!

I am trying to network book a MD and it has the error above.  On the admin site it hasn't got as far as creating a template for the MD I am trying to set up.

Do i need to manually create a MD template for this mac address and then somehow edit it to include the network card? I think i might be able to create the MD template but have no idea about how to edit it to add to the /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modules. Also where can i find out what details i will need to add here?  I am using the motherboard that comes in the ASUS PUNDIT BBONE P2-M2A690G system, will try to find out what it is and post it up if that will help!  It has attansic Gigabit NIC built in.

Cheers,
R