Author Topic: Volume leveling (auto)  (Read 5401 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Volume leveling (auto)
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:18 am »
Does anybody know (or feel may be useful) if there are plans to add auto-volume levelling for audio and video files?

This is where the system scans the audio data in a file, and does something like a 95th percentile volume average to estimate the perceived record level, then uses this to calculate a single gain/bias factor for that file and writes this into the database as a new attribute.

During playback, it reads this attribute and uses it to vary the internal volume level of the sound card. In this way it attempts to keep multiple audio/video files playing back to back at approximately the correct/consistent volume level so that you aren't constantly changing your amp's volume to maintain this. It would also be rather easy to have an override where the user can change and fix this value in the database based on their personal preference. This is already a feature of a number of media players available for PC/MAC....

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Volume leveling (auto)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:03:58 pm »
works fine when you use the squeezebox with lmce for playing correctly tagged audio files. You can add level information to flac files with metaflac.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:10:26 pm »
But that's not an answer for LMCE itself! Not everybody has or wants Squeezeboxes... the actual formula for calculating the volume level could be very simple indeed, but then it needs to get written into the database, or a tag (as you suggest) and finally, obeyed by Xine at playback...

bmac2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:45:20 pm »
I think it would be an excellent addition.  Rockbox/linux for your ipod does something similar. My MD pipes through a sony reciever/amp and it seems I am always turning the volume knob.

BMac2

augalex

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:58:35 pm »
It looks like, I'm not the only one who wishes (e.g. in the later evenings/ night) a kind of normalize for sound or movies...

Maybe I should mantis it, what do the others think?

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »
It looks like, I'm not the only one who wishes (e.g. in the later evenings/ night) a kind of normalize for sound or movies...

Maybe I should mantis it, what do the others think?
I'm also after such solution... Go ahead, post feature request....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

augalex

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:54:02 pm »