Author Topic: hibernation would save a lot of time  (Read 29694 times)

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hibernation would save a lot of time
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 09:08:36 pm »
I am all for less cost / less consumption, but my intention with lmce was for a all-in-one solution to manage not only media but my home automation and voip as well.  Since I need those to be always on, is my only option to have my core on all the time and not benefit from this hibernation effort?

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 02:14:45 am »
I am all for less cost / less consumption, but my intention with lmce was for a all-in-one solution to manage not only media but my home automation and voip as well.  Since I need those to be always on, is my only option to have my core on all the time and not benefit from this hibernation effort?

Home automation and VoIP are run out of the Core, which probably has to be always on (though there are other lower-power levels that could probably still service those features offered by the same subsystem that offers hibernation). The MDs could hibernate into low (or zero, with some home automation power management) power mode when not in use. Which, if hibernate/restore were really fast (under 5 seconds, maybe 10), could be managed by presence detection so they'd be on only when someone was nearby to notice.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 07:35:49 pm »
This is the goal for me - to have the MDs switch on at the press of a button in less than 30 secs. Otherwise the system is a lot more annoying than using a normal TV, and my girlfriend won't be happy with it - quite rightly so!

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2008, 07:10:52 pm »

So this strengthens my suspicion that the AppServer somehow gets "out of tune" with the core during long periods of sleep. I'll see what I can find out, but I suspect we need to have someone with a better understanding of the AppServer/DCE router stuff to look into it.

It seems lmce is not properly tracking the state of the app server. When the process dies it does not restart and it is not possible to restart it manually as lmce still thinks it is running and does not allow it to initialise. See here:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4156.0

Any ideas (please post to other thread)? The web admin page says the app server is not registered.

Chris