Author Topic: DHPC server range?  (Read 2863 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
DHPC server range?
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:06:07 pm »
Can I set the DHCP server to only allocate IP addresses within a certain range, so that I have an area where I can use static IP addresses?

I noticed on the network settings page in the admin there is a setting "Provide IP address for anonymous devices not in pluto's database"
Does this mean I should check it, and it will give me a range of IP addresses I can use for static,

or

does it mean that the DHCP will still assign IP addresses, they just won't be scanned as Plug and Play by LMCE?

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DHPC server range?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:09:31 pm »
Can I set the DHCP server to only allocate IP addresses within a certain range, so that I have an area where I can use static IP addresses?

I noticed on the network settings page in the admin there is a setting "Provide IP address for anonymous devices not in pluto's database"
Does this mean I should check it, and it will give me a range of IP addresses I can use for static,

or

does it mean that the DHCP will still assign IP addresses, they just won't be scanned as Plug and Play by LMCE?

I changed my dhcp range to start at 80.10 for Pluto devices as I have several static addresses between 80.2 and 80.9..  I still let it assign ip addresses for non pluto devices.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:37:55 pm »
Be aware that if it has already assigned IP addresses in the range that you are about to exclude - eg. .2 - .9 in rrambo's case, the client will keep requesting to refresh that lease and the core will keep providing the same IP address even though it is no longer inside the range. Which can be confusing until you realise. Also, because it is now outside the range, if you remove that device from the device tree (assuming it is a file server) the pnp scripts will no longer detect it as it considers it to be outside the IP address range that NAS's/File servers are supposed to be in.

You have to edit the DHCP server's config file to remove the lease (I think this is /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf ??) and force your PC to a static address briefly, then back to DHCP assigned so that it forgets the old lease and stops asking for it to be renewed (this is specific behaviour for a WinXP machine and may not translate to other devices, but an ipconfig /release & /renew is not sufficient)

Col.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:42:28 pm »
Be aware that if it has already assigned IP addresses in the range that you are about to exclude - eg. .2 - .9 in rrambo's case, the client will keep requesting to refresh that lease and the core will keep providing the same IP address even though it is no longer inside the range. Which can be confusing until you realise. Also, because it is now outside the range, if you remove that device from the device tree (assuming it is a file server) the pnp scripts will no longer detect it as it considers it to be outside the IP address range that NAS's/File servers are supposed to be in.

You have to edit the DHCP server's config file to remove the lease (I think this is /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf ??) and force your PC to a static address briefly, then back to DHCP assigned so that it forgets the old lease and stops asking for it to be renewed (this is specific behaviour for a WinXP machine and may not translate to other devices, but an ipconfig /release & /renew is not sufficient)

Col.

True..  in my case however those devices in the .2-.9 range were already static and no dhcp addresses in that range had been assigned before making the change....