Author Topic: Hardware recommendation list.  (Read 4207 times)

ontiK

• First post!
    • View Profile
Hardware recommendation list.
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:56:29 pm »

All,

History;
Have just installed a Vista media centre attached to my 40" LCD and in about the same week inherited a PC capable of running Ubuntu quite happily.  I experimented with Linux ~4yrs ago and turned my back on it as it was driving me bonkers.  Ubuntu has been genuinely impressive.  So in my endeavour to learn Linux in a bit more detail, I've decided to tackle MCE duties as my reason get my hands dirty.  It's also a bit of a test because the Vista MC hasn't even been a challenge to get running and the results have impressed me significantly.

Major question;
Is there a key list in existence that details what hardware is recommended for LinuxMCE? 

I have TV tuner cards etc and in particular remotes (like 3!) for the job and want to know what challenges await if I try and use them.  Since having the Vista rig in place I'm mad keen to get an MCE box operartional in the bedroom as well and figure why not go the Linux route.

Cheers,
ontiK.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware recommendation list.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:14:07 pm »
you should check on the internet the compatibility between your hardware and linux. tv tuners are working very well in linux. there could be some problems with the remote controllers but not necessary. with a little bit of tweaking they can work.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

rcousyn

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:27:13 am »

Major question;
Is there a key list in existence that details what hardware is recommended for LinuxMCE? 

Hello All,

I have been browsing the forums looking for an answer to the same question...
It seems the suggestions in the wiki are "older" and not often updated...
Any more current hardware suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Remi

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:14:02 pm »
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Hardware is about as good as it gets.  In the end most harware can be made to more or less run LMCE (especially if it's already supported by linux) some will just need more effort then others.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:53:13 am »
I have 710b3 running quite well on an AMD 64, nvidia 7300 using HDHomeRun for TV.

From experience I can say the nvidia 6200 also works great, the 8400 gave me quite a headache and I would stay away from it at this point.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:54:56 am by jgaffney »