Author Topic: n00b about to take the plunge hardware questions  (Read 2556 times)

D.R.

• First post!
    • View Profile
n00b about to take the plunge hardware questions
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »
Hi,

Fisrt off LinuxMCE looks great hence my imminent defection from M$ doze, I hope I'm not dissapointed.

I'm thinking of installing LinuxMCE on a collection of spare PC parts spare I'm currently hacking around into a living room friendly state. I've spent a lot of time messing about with various PC builds and loads of different HTPC software but always under M$ doze and I've not encountered anything I couldnt sort out after a swift session searching forums but I cant find any mention of the following so some advise would be apreciated.

Will my Marmitek PC remote http://www.marmitek.com/en/catalogus/product.php?subgroep=42&product=238 work with LinuxMCE? Due to the distance between TV and main PC I currently use the PC RF control to send simulated keyboard strokes to GBPVR via Eventghost. I'm not looking to buy another remote so I'm hoping I can make it work *crosses fingers*.

Can I set up LinuxMCE on an LCD monitor for testing then tell it to output over s-video when I'm happy to install it in the living room, or even better set up as dual ouput LCD monitor and TV (cloned display)?

Am I likely to endure hideous display driver problems with a old ATI 9000 (I think) graphics card?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: n00b about to take the plunge hardware questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »
Hi,

Fisrt off LinuxMCE looks great hence my imminent defection from M$ doze, I hope I'm not dissapointed.

I'm thinking of installing LinuxMCE on a collection of spare PC parts spare I'm currently hacking around into a living room friendly state. I've spent a lot of time messing about with various PC builds and loads of different HTPC software but always under M$ doze and I've not encountered anything I couldnt sort out after a swift session searching forums but I cant find any mention of the following so some advise would be apreciated.

Will my Marmitek PC remote http://www.marmitek.com/en/catalogus/product.php?subgroep=42&product=238 work with LinuxMCE? Due to the distance between TV and main PC I currently use the PC RF control to send simulated keyboard strokes to GBPVR via Eventghost. I'm not looking to buy another remote so I'm hoping I can make it work *crosses fingers*.

Can I set up LinuxMCE on an LCD monitor for testing then tell it to output over s-video when I'm happy to install it in the living room, or even better set up as dual ouput LCD monitor and TV (cloned display)?

Am I likely to endure hideous display driver problems with a old ATI 9000 (I think) graphics card?

1. Use a different remote. And for IR control, I am being very imperative on using the USB UIRT. It works with Windows MCE remotes, and acts as a blaster with IR learning capabilities, that works out of the box with LMCE. http://www.usbuirt.com/

2. Please use an NVIDIA card, 6xxx is the minimum recommended for a full UI2 blended experience.. The ATI will currently cause you much unneeded anguish.

also, PLEASE read the instructions on network topology, particularly that you must have two network cards, one connected to your modem, the other connected to your internal network. This box replaces your internet gateway and firewall, and provides whole house services, and was designed to be used this way.

-Thom