Author Topic: USBUIRT now what?  (Read 3265 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT now what?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 06:18:17 am »
to control more than one identical device, you either have to:

(a) get another UIRT, and have the second device as the child of the second UIRT device in the tree, or
(b) get a GC-100, and use two of its ports.

-Thom

Domodude

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 08:56:26 am »
I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get my external satellite box to tune to channels from MythTV, but no matter what i do, the channel does not change (and my USBUIRT light does not flash, so it is not even trying to tell the channel to turn). My satellite box did not have a template, so I had to make one myself. I wonder if there is some setting that we are all missing in the device template when we create the device...  Does anyone know, as mythtv is pretty much useless if I can' change the channels from any room.

I control my cablebox with a usbuirt. My setup is not working yet, but I am (I think) one step ahead because my usbuirt properly sends commands to the cablebox, which then responds by changing the channel.

1. Make a new template for the cable/sat box. Make sure you select IR control, not RS232 for example. When you get to the list of IR commands (on, off, 0, 1, 2 etc) make sure you select the correct IR device from the menu somewhere at the top of the page. This is important, and it is NOT always correct by default! Then update the page, after which you should be able to 'add new code'. You should have the remote REAL close to the usbuirt. Just keep the key pressed on the remote until LMCE pops up a window that says the code was learnt.
2. Go to AV devices, select your cable/sat box, and make sure that here, too, the correct device is selected for controlling it! If not, correct it, update/save the page. BTW, you can always get back to the IR codes by selecting A/V properties, on the right.
3. Go to advanced, click 'send command to device'. You should be able to select a command from step 1, for example 'off'. Make sure to get feedback on the command (little checkbox), and then send the command. The usbuirt should flash, your box should turn off, and the windows should say something like 'Command received OK'.'

Does your setup work to this point? Let me know if there are problems so far.

Cheers

Mark

rodercot

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 11:49:50 am »

A small tip for controlling identical boxes. With Bell Express Vu You can change the Remotes ID to allow it to only function with that remote and rcvr. IE so you would change the ID of the dish and the remote and then learn that remotes codes into LMCE for that ID then for the other rcvr and remote you would setup another device (Maybe a different name) and teach it the codes from another rcvr/remote id then each rcvr will only work with it's correct id.

The works with VU rcvr's so I would imagine it works with DishNet as well.

Dave

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:01:16 pm »
Thanks to all-

Dave- that is exactly what I was looking for

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:14:07 pm »
 :)
I use 2 Dish Network receivers. A 522 DVR (PITA with the fracking RF tuner) and a 301 single receiver.
First, on the receiver you are changing the code on, get up the menu, settings, remote code section.
Second, grab the remote, press and hold the "SAT" button, and then a number from 2 to 9 (its set at 1 currently) this changes the remote code, and after this is done, use your USB-UIRT and re-learn the codes. For instance I have a 522 template using code "1" and a 301 template using code "6".
After changing the remote code, using the front panel arrows and "OK" button, change the remote code number to correspond with for the above example "6". That should be it, to test, exit out of the menu with the remote.

After that is done, depending on which tuner is called, the UIRT will fire the right set of codes, and your issue is resolved  ;D

Happy watching and Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth