Author Topic: USBUIRT now what?  (Read 9288 times)

Jimerson

• View Profile
USBUIRT now what?
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:18 pm »
I have purchased and will be recieving my usbuirt tonight.

Pardon my ignorance, but what next? Do I need to purchase anything else, or is it just complete the templates, and go from there?

If anyone can point me to some documentation, or send me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Venom986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:23:43 pm »
I'd also be interested in the answer to that, as well as the following:

I ordered two Hauppauge PVR-150's that come with the MCE remote and kit.  Will I have any trouble getting things set up for the transmitters that come with that kit to control my satellite boxes (2 identical ones, one installed on the core and one installed on the MediaDirector)?  Or, should I have gone with the plane-jane version of the PVR-150 and grabbed one or more USBUIRTs?  Can a USBUIRT control multiple devices?  Multiple identical devices?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:52:46 pm »
I have purchased and will be recieving my usbuirt tonight.

Pardon my ignorance, but what next? Do I need to purchase anything else, or is it just complete the templates, and go from there?

If anyone can point me to some documentation, or send me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

You will need a remote to use with your usbuirt. We use MCE remotes. Just plug the usbuirt in and it will be PnP... your MD or Core will auto-detect it and will auto-add an MCE remote too. Once the 'Adding software....' messages in the top left of the Orbiter screen have cleared you should have a working remote.

IR Blasting (ie controlling external IR equipped hardware) using emulated IR commands can be setup using setup Wizard.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Jimerson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:32 am »
Am I missing something or just setting up something incorrectly?

There was no template for my tv, so I created one, I had it learn the code for power and it appeared to do so successfully. However when I tried to test it, It did not work.

Thanks for your help,
Jim

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 04:01:29 pm »
Are you using an ir emitter or serial cable to control your tv?

Jimerson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:02:47 am »
My TV does not have serial. The only thing I have is the USBIRT, do I need something else?

-Jim

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
I just got my USBUIRT hooked up, and I'm also scratching my  head over this. It got detected when I plugged it in. Now, setting up a TV seems almost impossible.
 I get to the part where you can select "Learn Code" and nothing happens when I repeatedly press the power button on my remote.

There is absolutely nothing in the Wiki about getting this set up.  Can anybody write a decent tutorial?

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:45:38 pm »
Also, I have been through the A/V Equiptment wizard 3 times now. I fill out all of the information for my TV (no templates exist for it yet)..  Each time, i go back to the A/V equiptment page, and no records are listed (though I have created the same device 3 times now)

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:26:01 am »
Almost same problem here I had it learned the codes for my device but the internal emitter appears not to send anything. If i plug an external emitter it works
Any suggestions?

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT now what? MCE USB now what?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 05:48:25 pm »
Dear all,

i have the same experience with the MCE USB  receiver without the external emitters.
Does someone know, if that thing does work WITHOUT the ext. emitters?

btw... i'm running LMCE 710b4, and couldn't  teach LMCE to use tackle my Grundig TV
or Harman Stereo ;O(

Thx...

Patrick from Germany
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 06:01:07 pm »
Patrick

Yes it does, I tested with a win application and it learn any codes from my remotes and then transmit them without an external emitter.
I think the problem could be in some settigs lost some where.
the application if you want to try it is lrnhelper.exe.
I can't attached it here but you can google lrnhelper.exe and shure you'll find it. If not let me know and I send you the link of where I downloaded

Bodyhat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:38:03 pm »
I wrote this awhile ago http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4782.msg28013#msg28013 and the answer to my question was USBUIRT and now I’m exactly in the same place you guys are at. I plug it in but my tuner continues to change the channel but my cable box still stays in the same channel. I see the little red light turn on any time I use any of my remotes i.e. tv, receiver, cable box but nothing happens outside of that. The overall result is that I keep getting the snow I reported earlier. I have the latest ver of MCE and using Gyration mouse. Not sure if the mouse has anything to do with it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 01:59:29 am »
I have the same problem..  I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get my external satellite box to tune to channels from MythTV, but no matter what i do, the channel does not change (and my USBUIRT light does not flash, so it is not even trying to tell the channel to turn). My satellite box did not have a template, so I had to make one myself. I wonder if there is some setting that we are all missing in the device template when we create the device...  Does anyone know, as mythtv is pretty much useless if I can' change the channels from any room.

thanks
Jon

Bodyhat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 06:20:10 am »
@jondecker76

I haven't made a template and maybe that could be my problem (trying to be optimistic) can you direct me where I can find info on that. Thanks

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 05:52:55 am »
I'd also be interested in the answer to that, as well as the following:

I ordered two Hauppauge PVR-150's that come with the MCE remote and kit.  Will I have any trouble getting things set up for the transmitters that come with that kit to control my satellite boxes (2 identical ones, one installed on the core and one installed on the MediaDirector)?  Or, should I have gone with the plane-jane version of the PVR-150 and grabbed one or more USBUIRTs?  Can a USBUIRT control multiple devices?  Multiple identical devices?

Did you find an answer to controlling multiple identical devices?  I would like to get dish/directv and put at least 2 cable boxes in a closet with the core.  Then, have remotes on the media directors be able to watch/change channels and record what I choose.  Ideally, I could put the cable/dsl modem, core, cable boxes, whatever in one closed with a dedicated circuit break for that closet and AC to keep it cool. 

Anyone with a similar setup?