Author Topic: Fiire Station Boot issues  (Read 2516 times)

ratboydk

• First post!
    • View Profile
Fiire Station Boot issues
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:42:35 pm »
So my boss decided he wants linux mce in the office and goes ahead with purchasing the thing with the remote. All the boxes and everything that came with it are gone and he can't seem to get it booted so it has been passed to me.
From what i can gather, it requires a fiire engine to get configured is this correct?
I have tried booting linux from a bootable usb drive in order to get an OS on there but it looks like the phoenix bios doesn't allow that.

Am I right in thinking I am going to need to build a fiire engine on an old PC and use this to boot the fiire station via DHCP across the lan?

Needless to say support wasn't purchased either...

Your help is very much appreciated.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Fiire Station Boot issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:53:15 pm »
So my boss decided he wants linux mce in the office and goes ahead with purchasing the thing with the remote. All the boxes and everything that came with it are gone and he can't seem to get it booted so it has been passed to me.
From what i can gather, it requires a fiire engine to get configured is this correct?
I have tried booting linux from a bootable usb drive in order to get an OS on there but it looks like the phoenix bios doesn't allow that.

Am I right in thinking I am going to need to build a fiire engine on an old PC and use this to boot the fiire station via DHCP across the lan?

Needless to say support wasn't purchased either...

Your help is very much appreciated.

Doesn't sound like he researched very much before his purchase...  fiire stations won't do anything without a core/hybrid to connect to... and he's not gonna have much luck with a standard core install either as he will have problems with graphics driver..  he should have purchased the fiire engine...  not saying you can't build a core and get it to work, but it's going to be a pita

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fiire Station Boot issues
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:56:58 pm »
yes you're right you will need a linuxmce core. You have two options

1.) buy a FiireEngine from fiire.com and get everything preconfigured
2.) build your own core, using the DVD and old hardware

If you choose option 2, make sure, that you get the special drivers for the VIA graphic card and place them in the right directory (ask the support team of fiire for the download urls..). Or search in this forum and wiki for "VIA Unichrome", "VIA Openchrome", etc...

I can tell from my experience, that the FiireEngine and FiireStation are working out of the box (at least the FiireEngine and the set-top-box, the 1" made some troubles). But the FiireEngine is overpriced and too loud.

eNoodle

edit: ok, rrambo was faster