Author Topic: VDR MythTV Addon or seperate TV system??  (Read 5656 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
VDR MythTV Addon or seperate TV system??
« on: November 01, 2005, 12:17:13 pm »
Hi I notice on .31 you have added something called VDR which deals with digital TV cards and so. This is of a lot of interest to me as adds functionaltiy I would like in the system.
However I am just wondering if someone from pluto could confirm weather it is a MythTV addon or a seperate TV system??

Also will it be compatible with more than one MD watching the same stream?? Ie can you pass the stream from it to VLC/VLS??

Cheers

Paul

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: VDR MythTV Addon or seperate TV system??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:02:56 am »
Quote from: "paulwaite"
Hi I notice on .31 you have added something called VDR which deals with digital TV cards and so. This is of a lot of interest to me as adds functionaltiy I would like in the system.
However I am just wondering if someone from pluto could confirm weather it is a MythTV addon or a seperate TV system??

Also will it be compatible with more than one MD watching the same stream?? Ie can you pass the stream from it to VLC/VLS??

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

VDR is an alternative to MythTV that is being developed in Europe (with a very strong German developer community as it originates from there). VDR is designed to integrate the European DVB digital TV standard although I believe it will handle analog TV as well with a plug-in. It will stream TV to multiple MD's (without the need for VLC/VLS).

We are just starting to test it VDR on our Pluto test system so it is early days but it does look very good.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 09:22:42 pm »
Quote from: "totallymaxed"

Hi Paul,

VDR is an alternative to MythTV that is being developed in Europe (with a very strong German developer community as it originates from there). VDR is designed to integrate the European DVB digital TV standard although I believe it will handle analog TV as well with a plug-in. It will stream TV to multiple MD's (without the need for VLC/VLS).

We are just starting to test it VDR on our Pluto test system so it is early days but it does look very good.

Andrew

Hi,

I'd love to give it a try - although I'll have to use analog plugin (pvr 350)...

I'd kindly ask if anyone more experienced user of VDR can give some more info on VDR & Analog plugin...

Also I'm not sure if Mythtv & VDR can coexist (at least for testing) or should we choose ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 12:24:03 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"

Hi Paul,

Andrew

Hi,

I'd love to give it a try - although I'll have to use analog plugin (pvr 350)...

I'd kindly ask if anyone more experienced user of VDR can give some more info on VDR & Analog plugin...

Also I'm not sure if Mythtv & VDR can coexist (at least for testing) or should we choose ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

You can check out the analog plugin here http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Analogtv-plugin

As you can see it does support the PVR350. I have no direct experience with the analogtv plugin yet...but we do have a need to take some analog tv into our Pluto system via VDR so I will report back when i have given that a try.

At the moment I do not think there are many Pluto users who are familiar with VDR - hopefully that will change quickly! At the moment (just upgraded to 2.0.0.32 lat night) VDR still needs a fair amount of manual installation (far less than MythTV though as far as I can see) and we are still learning. But get in contact if you need some help.

MythTV and VDR as far as I can see can coexist on the same Pluto installation. ie you could run the MythTV backend on the core and then have VDR on some MD's and MythTV on others. I suppose you could even have the MythTV and VDR backends running on the same Core as long as you allocated them different TV cards! The Core always runs the MythTV backend when you boot anyway... even if you don't use it. So our Core is actually running with MythTV & VDR backends running  - although our MythTV backend is not configured so it does not try to grab any TV cards on boot up.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 01:57:37 am »
So how do you setup VDR. There does not seem to be a setup screen within pluto? You said in post that it seems to me mostly manual config? How is this done?
I have a Hauppauge WIN-TV NOVA-T model 909 Any tips on configuring for use eith UK DVB?
How do you perform channel scan??

Regards

Paul

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:31:15 am »
So how do you setup VDR. There does not seem to be a setup screen within pluto? You said in post that it seems to me mostly manual config? How is this done?
I have a Hauppauge WIN-TV NOVA-T model 909 Any tips on configuring for use eith UK DVB?
How do you perform channel scan??

Regards

Paul

Try the folowing:

Download the sources of w_scan from:
http://plutohome.becom.net/w_scan.tar.bz2

if you want to recompile it you need the kernel-sources, BUT the binary is included as well  

1. Stop the running vdrdevel-process with /etc/init.d/vdrdevel stop

2. then remove the orig. channels.conf in /var/lib/vdrdevel/channels.conf
3. go to the w_scan sources dir and make a new scan with:

./w_scan -o3 >> /var/lib/vdrdevel/channels.conf

4. after scanning restart vdr with /etc/init.d/vdrdevel start

The above should work for a hybrid Pluto 2.0.0.31 or 32 system and will probably work on non hybrid 32 systems early next week.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 04:38:32 am »
[snip]
I have a Hauppauge WIN-TV NOVA-T model 909 Any tips on configuring for use eith UK DVB?[snip]

We have Hauppauge Nov-t 90002 (connexant chipset) cards but I think the 2.0.0.31 or 32 Kernel has the drivers for your 909 as well... someone correct me if I am wrong!

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 04:24:09 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"

Hi Paul,

Andrew

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

You can check out the analog plugin here http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Analogtv-plugin

As you can see it does support the PVR350. I have no direct experience with the analogtv plugin yet...but we do have a need to take some analog tv into our Pluto system via VDR so I will report back when i have given that a try.

At the moment I do not think there are many Pluto users who are familiar with VDR - hopefully that will change quickly! At the moment (just upgraded to 2.0.0.32 lat night) VDR still needs a fair amount of manual installation (far less than MythTV though as far as I can see) and we are still learning. But get in contact if you need some help.

MythTV and VDR as far as I can see can coexist on the same Pluto installation. ie you could run the MythTV backend on the core and then have VDR on some MD's and MythTV on others. I suppose you could even have the MythTV and VDR backends running on the same Core as long as you allocated them different TV cards! The Core always runs the MythTV backend when you boot anyway... even if you don't use it. So our Core is actually running with MythTV & VDR backends running  - although our MythTV backend is not configured so it does not try to grab any TV cards on boot up.

Andrew

It seems like analogtv plugin requires changes in libdvd... does this mean that it cannot coexist with other VDR devices  ?

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 11:42:55 pm »
Hi Totallymaxed.

Thanks for the help so far. Seem to be getting somewhere. Not sure where.
You said works on hybrid and will probably work on .32 non hybrid in week or so. Does that mean there needs to be an update to get it to work on non hybrid?
I have got the card in a MD and did as you suggested in earlier post which did a channel scan and gave me the file but i still get NO EPG error when i click on the VDR watch tv link.
Any suggestions?
Also any idea how to make the tele watch on more than one md?

Regards

Paul

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 01:52:57 pm »
Hi
Still not quite got vdr working. My current setup is as follows.
Pluto Dedicated core with the NOVA-T capture card in it.
Network boot media director with vdr installed with no card.
When i install VDR on the md and tell it it has a Blackbird card it seems to load the required drivers onto the core so the core picks up the dvb card and runs the vdr program on core. I run the channel scan procedure listed above and get my channel list on the core. After rebooting the core i have some info in my epg.data file on the core and when i boot the media director and click on watch tv I get some epg data but no picture or sound.
Any tips on where I am going wrong would be appreciated. Should the DVB card be in the core or should I have it in the media director. Core is preferable for my setup.
I have tried running a hybrid core but have problems as Pluto does not seem to like the sound card in the machine im using as a core and will not play any media.

Regards

Paul

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Getting VDR working
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 10:36:09 am »
Hi
Still not quite got vdr working. My current setup is as follows.
Pluto Dedicated core with the NOVA-T capture card in it.
Network boot media director with vdr installed with no card.
When i install VDR on the md and tell it it has a Blackbird card it seems to load the required drivers onto the core so the core picks up the dvb card and runs the vdr program on core. I run the channel scan procedure listed above and get my channel list on the core. After rebooting the core i have some info in my epg.data file on the core and when i boot the media director and click on watch tv I get some epg data but no picture or sound.
Any tips on where I am going wrong would be appreciated. Should the DVB card be in the core or should I have it in the media director. Core is preferable for my setup.
I have tried running a hybrid core but have problems as Pluto does not seem to like the sound card in the machine im using as a core and will not play any media.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Have been very busy over the last 10 days or so. However I will try and put together some notes on our experiences later today or tomorrow. Essentially the the DVB cards can be in the Core or in MD's.

Cheers

Andrew