Author Topic: simple MD / sound server on existing linux PC  (Read 2894 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
simple MD / sound server on existing linux PC
« on: November 13, 2005, 05:33:45 pm »
Hi,

I've been using some of the elements of the Pluto system at home for some time (e.g. MythTV / Motion) together with other HA focussed applications - e.g. Misterhouse.   I'm satisfied by the individual elements of my current set-up, but am very tempted to move over to Pluto to gain an integrated user interface and other advanced features such as VLC streaming to more than one location.

I have a question in relation to audio streaming.  I understand that the Pluto system will happily stream sound to Media Directors or slim-server box, but can the core  stream to a (linux) PC that isn't a dedicated MD running the standard Pluto PXE image.  I know Pluto is based on Debian, so I'm guessing it's possible, but has anyone done it in practice?

Alternatively, are their any other simple kludges (e.g. second sound card in a hybrid core)?

Thanks

Luke.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: simple MD / sound server on existing linux PC
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 06:17:29 pm »
Quote from: "lhc"
Hi,

I've been using some of the elements of the Pluto system at home for some time (e.g. MythTV / Motion) together with other HA focussed applications - e.g. Misterhouse.   I'm satisfied by the individual elements of my current set-up, but am very tempted to move over to Pluto to gain an integrated user interface and other advanced features such as VLC streaming to more than one location.

I have a question in relation to audio streaming.  I understand that the Pluto system will happily stream sound to Media Directors or slim-server box, but can the core  stream to a (linux) PC that isn't a dedicated MD running the standard Pluto PXE image.  I know Pluto is based on Debian, so I'm guessing it's possible, but has anyone done it in practice?

Alternatively, are their any other simple kludges (e.g. second sound card in a hybrid core)?

Thanks

Luke.

Hi,

welcome to the club. I went through same sttory few months ago... I'm now using both - and I'm working on some startup code for Pluto & Misterhouse integration. For more info please see :

http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=389&highlight=misterhouse

http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=391&highlight=misterhouse

code is not particularly well written, but it works... I think that if more MH users will be attracted to this combo, better solution we'll have... but I get almost no reponse on MH mailing lists - and I'm not sure why...

Back to your particular problem. I plan to try out to use MH multiple stereo outputs capability in connection with Pluto (I've done this in my previous MH installation). I'm also working on Xine audio only player (user could run more instances of it on one MD or hybrid), but have some problems...

So I think that Mh&Pluto integration and cooperation is not so hard to achieve - but we need more users interested for doing that...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:11:25 pm »
Hi Rob,

Thanks - yes I'd seen some of your MH / Pluto integration work on the respective lists. Time hasn't permitted me to try the integration yet, but I hope to at some stage.

I hadn't considered accessing aditional sound cards through MH, but my desire is probably to stream audio from MythTV etc to remote devises, so your audio Xine player work looks quite interesting to me.

Another solution for streaming audio may be the Hauppauge MediaMVP. It looks like a couple of people on the dev list are interested in developing the MVP into some form of Orbiter.  

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=8960874&forum_id=39055

It looks like the MVP developers already have the MVP working as a slimserver client, so we may be quite close to some form of Pluto compatible audio streaming device ahead of a bigger project to port the Orbiter code.

Luke.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 12:26:12 am »
Quote from: "lhc"
Hi Rob,

It looks like the MVP developers already have the MVP working as a slimserver client, so we may be quite close to some form of Pluto compatible audio streaming device ahead of a bigger project to port the Orbiter code.

Luke.

Hmm, AFAIK Pluto is using slimserver too... Squeezeboxes are supported plug'n'play....

HTH,

Regards,

Rob.