Author Topic: Everything but my monitor is compatible!  (Read 5336 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Everything but my monitor is compatible!
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:34:47 am »
I'm so sad.  I've given up on linuxmce because my monitor REFUSES to work right and it use my internet connection right.  I have all but given up, but thought I would make a post anyway.  Someone might be able to help. 

I have a massive 32 inch crt monitor.  Yeah, it's a tubed behemoth.  The exact specs are at the bottom of the post.

I am unable to get a hold of a quick install dvd, so I have to install from the CDs.  This means installing Kubuntu fromt he alternate disc.  For some reason, none of the special options like safe graphics mode or change resolution will work in 640x480.  I guess it's just way too low.  Anyway, so I get kubuntu 7.10 or 7.04 installed (I've tried both versions of LMCE many times) and then go through the agonizingly long install process.  All the while, kubuntu is set to 640x480 res.  I finish installing MCE and reboot.  When the AV wizard comes up...BLAMO!  Resolution is off the charts and I can't see anything.  I try clicking ok a few times cause I know that the default choice is 640x480 res.  When I get to that point, the screen goes black, then the fast moving lines come back. 

So then, I follow several posts on this forum and check my xorg.conf file.  No dice.  Everything says what it should.  My resolution, refresh, horizontal... So, I grab a temporary monitor to try and get the settings right.  Video works fine on that.  But when I've set everything to 640x480, completed setup and gotten into the orbiter, I restart.  Plug in the monster crt and I get the same crap!  What is this?! 

BTW, I was completely unable to install any extra software.  Everytime I told it to install something, it said it couldn't download at this time.  I also never got any flicker background pics.  Obviously, something wrong with my internet, but when I logged out into the kubuntu desktop, I could surf just fine!  What the hell?!  Mind you, I can only do this with a temporary replacement monitor.  My main monitor won't show me anything. 

So long story short, LINUXMCE screwed me over.  I bought all compatible hardware and it freaks out.  Even when I got into the orbiter, I couldn't install libcssdvd, so no dvds.  I'm assuming that I need to by a new tv/monitor, but I'm still not sure LMCE will work.  What was up with the crappy internet?  Well, I'm done ranting.  I'm willing to keep trying, but I've spent so many days of actual tweaking time on this and have nothing to show.  Anyone know a fix to the non-downloadable software or freaking out resolution?

Specifications
Part number 7000053,MON031001AAWW

Specifications - Destination 31-Inch Monitor
CRT    Overall diagonal size is 33 inches, 32.5 millimeters (mm) neck size, 0.83 - 1.04 mm horizontal and 0.79 mm vertical stripe pitch, 110 degree diagonal deflection, tinted
Maximum Resolution    640 × 480
Display Colors    Unlimited
Scanning Frequency    Horizontal: 31 to 38 kilohertz (kHz)
Vertical: 60 to 72 hertz (Hz)
Aspect Ratio    1.37:1
Video Bandwidth    40 megahertz (MHz) nominal
Display Area
(H × W)    428 × 586 mm (16.85 × 23 inches)
Input Signal Video Sync    Analog: .07 Vp-p 75 Ohm
Separate sync: TTL level
Horizontal sync: positive/negative
Vertical sync: positive/negative
Power Input    90–132 volts alternating current (VAC) and 60 Hz, 3.0 amperes (A) (U.S.)
180–264 VAC and 50 Hz, 1.5 A (International)
Dimensions
( W × H × D)    780 × 701 × 580 mm (approximately 30.7 × 27.6 × 22.9 inches)
Weight    Net: 58.1 kilograms (kg) (128 pounds)
Gross: 72.1 kg (159 pounds)
  I have a massive 32 inch crt monitor.  Yeah, it's a tubed behemoth.  This page has the specs of the exact monitor I am trying to use.
Power Management    Meets Energy Star requirements:

* Suspend mode: 15 watts (W)
    * Active-off mode: 8 W

Fully Plug and Play    Bidirectional data channel
Certifications    UL, CSA, DHHS, TUV, FCC Class B, DOC class B, BZT, FDA CFR Subchapter J, ZH-1/61810.80, CPA, conforms to EPA standards.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Everything but my monitor is compatible!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:03:11 am »
I'm not clear what the interface on the monitor is. Can you give us the manufacturer and model number or at least what interface it uses? It looks like it could support 1024X768 interlaced. It looks to be either composite at a non-standard rate or component. But 31 KHz is VGA, not composite. Can you get the AV wizard to appear on the monitor? There are detailed directions for that step on the forums or the Wiki. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3931.msg22310#msg22310

I'm not sure how satisfactory a low res 31" display will be. I know how big they are and what an enormous pain they are to move.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:04:49 am by 1audio »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:06:58 pm »
change the timeout from 1 to 5 in add software helper script located in /usr/pluto/bin this should allow the download of the css software
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:31:44 am »
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model Number: DL31-1
Input: VGA only

And no, I cannot see the AV Wizard on this monitor.  It sets the resolution to something too high for my monitor, so I can't see anything.  I checked my xorg.conf and it's set to 640x480@60.  I tried using a different monitor and telling the AV wizard to run at 640x480, but my monitor still freaked out when I tried to use it after saving the settings.  I also tried editing the resolution through the web admin site (using a different temporary monitor) and that was set to 640x480@60 as well.  Everywhere I can enter a resolution, its set to 640x480@60 and it doesn't work.  Is there some other hidden setting that I'm missing.  I even went into xorg and specified the vertical and horizontal specs per the above info and no dice. 

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 02:48:02 pm »
See the wiki: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers for some info on configuring xorg.conf properly.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:16:15 pm »

i've been all over that wiki several times.  My xorg.conf file is fine. 

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:01:18 pm »

i've been all over that wiki several times.  My xorg.conf file is fine. 
Glad to hear you got it sorted then...
-- Anonymous

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:27:02 pm »
change the timeout from 1 to 5 in add software helper script located in /usr/pluto/bin this should allow the download of the css software

Sorry wrong script its CheckInternetConnection.sh

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 12:48:46 am »
Well, the issue is not fixed.  It's just that my xorg.conf is configured correctly and it still freaks out.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:35:53 am »
Well, the issue is not fixed.  It's just that my xorg.conf is configured correctly and it still freaks out.
Then your xorg.conf file is not configured correctly, it's either one or the other.

Try removing all modelines, set up the refresh rates (as you listed earlier in the specs) and set "Modes" to "640x480" (not "640x480@60").  You'll have to neuter the Xconfigure script to stop it from overwriting these settings automaticly (as described in the wiki).
-- Anonymous

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:27:51 pm »
You'll have to neuter the Xconfigure script to stop it from overwriting these settings automaticly (as described in the wiki).

How do I "neuter" it?  Where is the file located and what should I change within it?