Author Topic: AVI plays in Kafine in KDE but not in media orbiter...Please help a noob!  (Read 4818 times)

magicboy123456

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
I seem to be having problems with AVI files...  I have installed Kubuntu MCE Gutsy and I think I have got all the codecs I need.  All AVI's play fine in Kafine when at the ubuntu desktop, all I get when I try to watch them in media mode is a black screen.  I don't even get any sound.  DVD's play ok in media mode, just not good old avi.

I am new to Linux, so sorry if this is a nooby question, but this is like learning computers all over again for me. 

Hope you can help.  Thanks for reading and any help.  :)

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: AVI plays in Kafine in KDE but not in media orbiter...Please help a noob!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:39:10 pm »
What is the file extension? Is it simply .avi? I had a problem like this before. My problem was that I had a special character (#) within the file name that once removed played.

magicboy123456

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:42:59 pm »
I think it might have... God I hope it's not that simple....Something I should have checked before.  I will test in a min and post back.  Thanks :)

magicboy123456

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:47:13 pm »
Funny, it works sometimes but not others? I have changed the filenames of all media to something nice and short with no special characters or spaces.  Any other ideas please?

The longer I play around with this the more questions I have.  I am having a nightmare with my ATI graphics card.  I think I will have to start a new post for that one.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:58:10 pm »
Will a particular file play sometimes and not other? or will one file never play, while another always plays?
.avi is just a container, it can be any number of actual codecs. Therefore it would be interesting to know if it was limited to certain files or seemingly random.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:47:08 pm »
Funny, it works sometimes but not others? I have changed the filenames of all media to something nice and short with no special characters or spaces.  Any other ideas please?

Another idea: check the Xine_Player logs (the DCE device that actually plays the video). The best would be to do two steps:

1) add/modify line in /etc/pluto.conf to contain "10" in LogLevels value. e.g. LogLevels=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10   then do a quick router reload

2) try to play the file and then post here the contents of logfile: /var/log/pluto/22_Xine_Player.log (note, if your Xine has different device ID, you will have something else instead of 22). 

This way we can look in the logs and see what the issue is.