Ugh, rhis is all so very confusing, getting these to work on linux is one thing, getting them to work on lmce is something completely different!
Anyone having any thoughts about this?
It's exactly the same thing to install LIRC and VFD under Linux and under LMCE. Note if you add "Infrared remote controls you will use" on the media director page and this remote is LIRC based then LIRC will install automatically and the file /etc/lircd/lircd.conf will be created with content from remote's property 'Configuration'. So, in that case you should just add proper remote.
In case of iMON you have to:
- create a new device template in category Peripherals --> Remote Control --> LIRC;
- add a new property - #59 Configuration for that template and copy there iMON LIRC.conf;
- add iMON remote to your MD;
- reload router.
If you don't see /dev/lirc0 this means:
- your IR receiver is disconnected (for example, it doesn't fit good in the USB port);
- you have some error in the lircd.conf (check /var/log/message or /var/log/syslog);
- kernel module for your IR receiver is not loaded (check sudo lsmod|grep <name_of_your_ir_module>. If you don't find it then try to load - sudo modprobe -v <name_of_your_ir_module>).
To verify that your remote works correctly you can use utility irw which displays everything you send from the remote.
In any case, please, see system logs and dmesg output of your core. It gives you the reason why your remote doesn't work. If everything works fine you can configure remote for MythTV or VDR.