Author Topic: VFD front panel display (Antec Fusion)  (Read 34428 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
VFD front panel display (Antec Fusion)
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:02:48 am »
Have been searching the forums and wiki for info on how to get this working on my HTPC case. The only references I can find seem to talk about devices (eg /etc/lcd0) and conf files that simply don't seem to exist on my 0710b3 build. Did a lsusb ... nothing there....

Anybody any idea on how to get this going? I realise that at the moment only Myth (and VDR?) use this and the rest of the time it just shows a clock or something else, but at the moment it just permanently displays a line of _____ and then a couple of different height bars on the far right and never changes even when the system is off! Gotta be able to get something better than that!

Cheers.

Col.

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: VFD front panel display (Antec Fusion)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:16:00 am »
Oh my.. I just bought this case yesterday!

I'm gonna install it tomorrow, so it doesn't work well?

Head over to the ubuntu-forums, I know I saw a thread there which solved *all* the problems (that's why I decided to buy that case :))

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:31:35 pm »
Don't worry, guys, LMCE doesn't support VFD displays except a three models: Crystal Fontz USB/RS232, IRTrans - Dign VFD and Media Live LCD/Buttons. The rest can be just used by MythTV or VDR. IMHO it'd be great to have some generic VFD interface which will communicate with LCD server as a client. In that case it'd be doesn't matter what model of VFD you have.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 12:39:19 am »
Lol! Then what's not to worry!? :P

Now you're saying "yeah, tough luck, you bought a useless case" :P Well, I got the vfd to work now, still have nooo idea how to get that IR receiver to function, though...

*Edit: I got the VFD to work only on the system itself, so I can output my own messages to it, but nothing more (linuxmce doesn't support it, as he said...)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 01:32:12 am »
Lol! Then what's not to worry!? :P

Now you're saying "yeah, tough luck, you bought a useless case" :P Well, I got the vfd to work now, still have nooo idea how to get that IR receiver to function, though...

*Edit: I got the VFD to work only on the system itself, so I can output my own messages to it, but nothing more (linuxmce doesn't support it, as he said...)

should be easy to interface lcdproc from a GSD. iirc it only needs to implement two commands for basic usage (see the existing VFD code/device template)

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 02:05:18 am »
Don't worry, guys, LMCE doesn't support VFD displays except a three models: Crystal Fontz USB/RS232, IRTrans - Dign VFD and Media Live LCD/Buttons. The rest can be just used by MythTV or VDR. IMHO it'd be great to have some generic VFD interface which will communicate with LCD server as a client. In that case it'd be doesn't matter what model of VFD you have.

Michael I agree it would be good to have a more generalised way to support various VFD's
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 01:54:28 pm »
I have a soundgraph imon vfd screen on my case. Have it currently running "lcd-stuff" (weather and news feeds) when not watching tv, and myth tv outputs to it fine when tv is on.
You need to use lcd-proc to send to the screen though
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:50:49 pm »
How do you install lcd-proc? It isn't on my system now - tried apt-get install lcd-proc.... says there is no such package...

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:02:23 pm »
How do you install lcd-proc? It isn't on my system now - tried apt-get install lcd-proc.... says there is no such package...

Might be an incredible stupid suggestion but ... Have you updated your package list? :P

The first time you use apt-get on linuxmce the package list is rather empty... :)

I also believe it's called lcdproc

This thread really helped me, btw: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=306437&highlight=antec+fusion

At least I can manually print things out on the screen :D

When will somebody get to coding the thing, anyway? Does any developer want to SSH into *my* device (hey, they did this while developping plcbus drivers :))

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 10:36:37 pm »
Not a stupid question, I have no idea how to do that (nor that it needed doing!)

However, you are right, it is lcdproc, and when I tried that it worked fine.

I then followed the instructions in that link you gave... but it fails at:

cat imon-2.6.patch | patch
make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
sudo make install

Saying that the directory "linux" doesn't exist - which it doesn't on my system. In there there are "linux-headers..." and "linux-headers...-generic" and I tried both of those instead (problably screwing something up!) but still comes back with errors...

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 11:51:06 pm »
True, true, the original compile failed on my box too, but that's a pretty old thread, meant for a previous ubuntu version. If you read the entire thread (which is a pain, I know) then you can find a solution... Errr, hold on, I'll try to give you my method:

Install lirc and the lirc-modules-kernel version-generic

After this you need to load the lirc_imon module:

modprobe lirc_imon (add "lirc_imon" to your /etc/modules file to start it at boot)

Now it has made a /dev/lcd0 file, except I wasn't able to write to it... so I had to chmod it (and I have to do this after every boot):

chmod 666 /dev/lcd0

And now you can output to the display! (But only up to 32 chars, otherwise it'll give you some error)

echo -n "Hello" > /dev/lcd0

I'm using LMCE 0710 beta 3. I know I need to fix a lot more (like that knob or that infrared thing or the chmod thing) but that's for later

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:44:39 pm »

Run
Code: [Select]
apt-get install lcdprocIt'll install LCDproc for you. Sure if you have iMON VFD display you should install iMON IR driver (it's included into standard LIRC package).
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »
True, true, the original compile failed on my box too, but that's a pretty old thread, meant for a previous ubuntu version. If you read the entire thread (which is a pain, I know) then you can find a solution... Errr, hold on, I'll try to give you my method:

Install lirc and the lirc-modules-kernel version-generic

After this you need to load the lirc_imon module:

modprobe lirc_imon (add "lirc_imon" to your /etc/modules file to start it at boot)

Now it has made a /dev/lcd0 file, except I wasn't able to write to it... so I had to chmod it (and I have to do this after every boot):

chmod 666 /dev/lcd0

And now you can output to the display! (But only up to 32 chars, otherwise it'll give you some error)

echo -n "Hello" > /dev/lcd0

I'm using LMCE 0710 beta 3. I know I need to fix a lot more (like that knob or that infrared thing or the chmod thing) but that's for later

I did:

sudo apt-get install lirc
 - it asked for confirmation to install and I hit Y
sudo apt-get install lirc-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
 - it ran, didn't ask me to confirm, but did seem to complete with no errors, and said that there was 1 newly installed package
sudo modprobe lirc_imon
no error, just completed

But I do not have a device at /etc/lcd0 or anything beginning with L or l other than loop0 and log....

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 02:40:32 pm »
See this site:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc

I used this to get my vfd working.

Don't have to chmod after every boot, just:

sudo crontab -e

-and add the following line:

@reboot /usr/local/sbin/LCDd -c /home/mythtv/lcd/LCDd.conf

do this instead of the 'Starting LCD PROC from Boot' given on the link

AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:06:23 pm »
Ugh, rhis is all so very confusing, getting these to work on linux is one thing, getting them to work on lmce is something completely different!

Anyone having any thoughts about this?