Author Topic: VFD front panel display (Antec Fusion)  (Read 34444 times)

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
Re: VFD front panel display (Antec Fusion)
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 11:34:58 pm »
If anybody is having trouble with the imon vfd, I just got mine working.

do an apt-get install lcdproc
goto /etc/LCDd.conf and change the driver which is set to curses to imon
then reboot
I have not tested the ir yet I dont have the imon pad.
but will keep people posted if need be.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:42:21 pm by matrex »
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55:15 am »
Colin, do you have the VFD display working on your Fusion V2?  If so, which install did you use?

Thanks

Got it working briefly, but haven't reinstalled it again since as without something to drive it there isn't much point in having it! I believe some have got it to display data from some devices (not sure, maybe for DVD's?) but realistically we need someone to tackle a real DCE device to drive it properly. The actual daemon is pretty smart, and you can create multiple "screens" with priorities and so on and it will manage how to display them and when. It would be really nice if we had a DCE device that drew information from the system (probably by intercepting media events and so on) and used them to construct screens that displayed information .... all perfectly possible... in fact as it is a TCP control interface, you could even create a single central DCE plugin on the DCERouter that would connect to all the remote LCDProcs and drive them all...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 07:21:11 am »
Already handled in the system, look at VFD_LCD and the LCDBase stuff. ;)

-Thom

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 08:29:08 pm »
Matrex, not finding the following:

apt-get install lcdproc

The VFW is working though, manually...

If I go to root/dev/ and edit the lcd0 file with Kate, the minute I save it, it shows up on the VFW.
Also if I reboot the machine, it works again like that, without me having to reload anything.
This beagn to work after lirc installed.
When I downloaded the Mythtv stuff and untared it, I could not do a make because it said nothing to make.
Have the tars changed?

I just don't have the lcdproc or the LCDd.conf stuff probably because I haven't successfully completed the above.
I also have the Fusion V2, which supposidly has the IR receiver built in.

Any suggestions?

Charles

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »
You should not have to untar and build anything. lcdproc is in the repositories. I just confirmed with synaptic.
I think you are going about it the wrong way.
Are you trying to install install mythtv ver .22 on top of the one that was installed with linuxmce?
That will not work. will probably break mythtv plugin.
As far as upgrading mythtv I can't help you with that.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »
No I'm simply at the Konsole of my diskless media director of which is in the Antec Fusion case.
This is what I'm doing:

root@moon77:/# apt-get install lcdproc

and the response:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package lcdproc
root@moon77:/#

I'm not that fluent at Linux yet.

Charles
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:47:33 pm by rocketlynx »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 10:25:12 pm »
Matrex, If I'm now following you, I don't have synaptic on this Media Director.  Going to add-programs, it is greyed out and not available to me.  This linuxmce 710, 2.6.22-14-generic installed with Adept instead and lcdproc is not found.

Charles

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 11:21:48 pm »
*wonders-why-nobody-is-actually-trying-to-code-a-proper-DCE-driver?*

*hmm*

-Thom

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:23 am »
It should show up with adept. Unless your repository list was changed somehow. I just mentioned synaptic cause that is what I use that I am acustomed to.

Thom,
       yeah somebody does need to start on codeing a proper DCE driver! But i'm not a developer.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 12:36:03 am »
Thom, I haven't done anything to the repository files or adept installer.  This a new clean install.  I checked both the adept on this media director and on the core add software and I can't find anything on lcdproc.  Can I obtain it another way to complete this?

Charles

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 05:18:27 am »
I humbly apologize for calling you the wrong name.  I won't use names again, please pardon the mistake.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:12 am »
*wonders-why-nobody-is-actually-trying-to-code-a-proper-DCE-driver?*

*hmm*

-Thom

There is a generic lmce-lcdproc interface which works fine with iMON VFD. I guess it should work with any generic VFD as well. It might be expanded instead of developing something from the scratch IMHO.

The Antec Fusion has iMON VFD display if I'm not wrong. It should work from the box using standard packages LIRC and LCDProc from Ubuntu repo. Just make sure that imon module is loaded because iMON IR and VFD use the same module. Then choose the proper driver (imon) in the /etc/LCDd.conf. That's it. You may switch on debug mode into syslog to see what's wrong if your VFD doesn't work. Then use lmcd-lcdproc to show LinuxMCE  info on the display.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:35:32 am by nite_man »
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:45 am »
Thanks for reminding me niteman, problem is the links in that thread are now dead. I have PM'd drikc asking him to post new links for his device....

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:20 am »
Don't worry, guys, LinuxMCE doesn't support VFD displays except a three models: Crystal Fontz USB/RS232, IRTrans - Dign VFD and Media Live LCD/Buttons. The rest can be just used by MythTV or VDR. IMHO it'd be great to have some generic VFD interface which will communicate with LCD server as a client. In that case it'd be doesn't matter what model of VFD you have.

Nite_Man,

I have a Dign case with the VFD/IR inside; I have even tried to get it going using M$ XP... I have not seen it even light up...
The IR reception part was working though....
I would feel much better if it would at least light up and indicate something...
Do you have any idea or pointer where to look?

Thanks a lot!

Erwin

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
Thanks for reminding me niteman, problem is the links in that thread are now dead. I have PM'd drikc asking him to post new links for his device....

I have both - i386 binaries and sources :)

I have a Dign case with the VFD/IR inside; I have even tried to get it going using M$ XP... I have not seen it even light up...
The IR reception part was working though....
I would feel much better if it would at least light up and indicate something...
Do you have any idea or pointer where to look?

Maybe it's broken somehow? If IR and VFD are put in one module then connection is ok if IR works. But check again the connection, power, wires and so on. Another possibility is driver. Did you install under XP specific driver for your VFD? Try to install lcdproc and lirc on your system, specify correct driver - imon, for example, in the LCDd.conf, switch on debug mode there and see the syslog. Also see dmesg output about your VFD device.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:05:35 pm by nite_man »
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru