Author Topic: Support for other mobiles (bluetooth)  (Read 21255 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Support for other mobiles (bluetooth)
« on: October 31, 2005, 08:49:17 am »
I have a bluetooth-dongle connected to my hybrid, and it detects my mobile phone, a SE K750i.

Though it ain't symbian or windows mobile, it would be nice to be able to
have it connected to the follow-me function. Since it detects it, it also should be possible to detect precense of it, or not.

Is this a good idea?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 08:59:53 am »
Hi,

Follow-me doesn't work this way, it's not so simple. Once the mobile phone is detected in the second room, bluetooth-dongle tries to connect to it. Only if it succeeds and follow-me for media for e.g. was activated, it moves the media playing in the first room to play in the second one.

The problem is that bluetooth-dongle cannot get the signal strength if it's not connected to the mobile. So, your phone might be detected by both bluetooth-dongles every 5-10 seconds, making follow-me feature a nightmare :) (imagine a movie playing 5 seconds in the first room, 5 seconds in the seconds room, again 5 seconds in the first room, etc). Right now, bluetooth-dongle doesn't disconnect the phone if the signal strength is strong enough and this makes the feature stable.

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:13:51 am »
Ok, thats a good explanation.

But how about connection to a different service?
Like fileexchange, or something like it.

My point is that the follow-me feature would be great/expected to have in such a great/advanced system, but not enough to buy a different phone. And seriously, not Nokia(Series60) or Windows Mobile ;) And I don't want to use my mobile as a remote. But thats probably just me.

And by allowing other phones to be used as well the supportet devices expand.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 09:53:33 am »
Hi,

It's possible to implement something like this, but I don't see it working in the near future... However, I would rather prefer to have mobile orbiter to run on a Sony-Erricson phone then to have bluetooth-dongle to connect to a application that might be or not be on that phone, behaving differently on different models of phones, etc.

Best regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Support for other mobiles (bluetooth)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:31:55 pm »
Quote from: "nomore"
I have a bluetooth-dongle connected to my hybrid, and it detects my mobile phone, a SE K750i.

Though it ain't symbian or windows mobile, it would be nice to be able to
have it connected to the follow-me function. Since it detects it, it also should be possible to detect precense of it, or not.

Is this a good idea?

Hi,

I also have similar idea. Although I think that follow me is not so badly wanted - but anyway it would be nice feature to just identify persons with bluetooth phones :

- so for the first time - you detect device - give it a name, and then recognize it afterwards.....

- also it would be nice feature to be able to track inhouse person's location

Another question:
- I get that we can get signal strentgh only when MO is connected to Core. But is this limitation of Pluto implementation of bluez modules? I could be wrong, but if bluetooth device is detected, isn't there a way to get signal strength without connection ?
I've read about RSSI, but I'm not sure on how many devices this is possible.

Also adding feature for MO to use Pluto core as IP gateway would be useful - although I don't know how much work it requires....

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 10:46:01 am »
Hi,

Indeed, it will be nice to mark some of friends mobiles as "friend's mobile" and treat them differently then ignoring them or trying to connect to a MO installed on them. Once the user will say that a mobile is the mobile of a friend, he will be able to go to a floorplan (security maybe?) and see in which room is that user (last detected). We'll brainstorm about it here and probably add it to our features list.

Thanks,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
OQO bluetooth
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 03:51:58 pm »
Is there anyway this would work with my OQO bluetooth XP computer? I no longer have or want a cell phone after modifying a Falcom Samba 56 cell phone into the device. It works with Cingular and Tmobile, but I was just wondering not so much about the Samba thing, but whether this device when I am at home can work with a bluetooth device such as the OQO.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:13:21 am »
Hi,

I read about OQO model (http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/) and I see that it also has a built-in WiFi and the OS is Windows XP. Why don't you try to install our Orbiter XP and see if it works. You will need to connect using WiFi to an access point in order to allow Orbiter XP to communicate with the dce router. You'll find Orbiter XP installer here: http://your_core_ip/pluto-admin/fdownload.php?filepath=installers/OrbiterInstaller.msi

Best regards,
Chris M.