Author Topic: Puzzled at total lack of progress  (Read 3540 times)

peterb

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Puzzled at total lack of progress
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:18:36 pm »
I saw the google video and thought I would try MCE
My PC: Asus Pundit witk P4 2.4, 512MB, 60GB, VideoMate DVB-T, Samsung 32inch LCD

Using Ubuntu Gutsy for Gnome I can have a working Mythtv within the hour.

Using MCE 7.04 I cannot get past the select resolution screen even though MCE is displaying to the screen OK.

Suggestions or is the google video a total fabrication. :'(

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled at total lack of progress
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:24:35 pm »
I saw the google video and thought I would try MCE
My PC: Asus Pundit witk P4 2.4, 512MB, 60GB, VideoMate DVB-T, Samsung 32inch LCD

Using Ubuntu Gutsy for Gnome I can have a working Mythtv within the hour.

Using MCE 7.04 I cannot get past the select resolution screen even though MCE is displaying to the screen OK.

Suggestions or is the google video a total fabrication. :'(

uhmm..  too many people here using it for it to be a fabrication...  I'm using a Pundit myself, however the AMD version (they make one for Intel cpu and one for AMD)..  I believe the Intel version uses an integrated ATI graphics chipset, is this what you have??  If so, you are probably having video driver issues...  My Pundit luckily has an Nvidia 6150 so it just works...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:29:31 pm »
I happen to be one individual who managed to build a system that just worked, as well, from the DVD. I used an NVIDIA 6200 the first time around with 0704, and when I went to 0710 beta 3, I upgraded to an 8500GT, and it just worked.

no, the google video is not a fabrication by any sense. I use all of the components in that video and then some.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:27 pm »
You don't say why you can't get past the resolution screen. If it is displaying OK on your LCD what is the problem? Do you mean that you choose a resolution that should work, but it comes up with a black screen for a while then reverts back to the original resolution screen?

If yes, then as rrambo says, you are having video driver/configuration issues.

1. Try the CDs instead of the DVDs - the CD's run a full build and so can cope with a wider range of hardware than the DVDs that are based on a specific piece of hardware and rely on pnp to correct the differences; or

2. Install a video card that is noted in the Wiki as working and try again; or

3. You will have to tinker with your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file - when you get the black screen X (windowing system) is trying to start with the resolution you chose, and either it can't handle your video hardware, or the default parameters it uses are not compatible with your screen, so a fails back. Have you tried lower/higher resolutions? Also, you may have to track down the right version of your video drivers and install them manually. in xorg.conf there is a (possibly 2) line(s) that say 'Options "UseEDID" "false"' you could try changing this to true. If your TV is well behaved it should report all the parameters it supports so that X can calculate a compatible screen mode for you. OR it could screw it up even further if your TV is badly behaved! But its easy to reverse.

To install stuff manually from the command line, you can hit CTRL-ALT-F2 and login. There are Wiki articles you can search for that tell you all the different logins and passwords you can use depending on your system, plus other that tell you how to install the drivers and edit the xorg.conf file.

Also, search for specific advice on this forum.

EDIT: PS. in the AV Wizard there are shortcuts to choose monitor output and resolution from the keyboard which can be handy. 1-5 chooses the output, 6-0 the resolution. When changing resolution or output from the keyboard or wizard, you have to wait at least 10-15 seconds before trying the next one as X has to shutdown, reconfigure and then start back up again
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:39:26 pm by colinjones »

peterb

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 06:54:23 pm »
The intel based Pundit I have has an onboard SIS651 video chip.
When MCE asks me to choose a resolution then no matter which combination I choose the PC thinks about it for a few seconds and then repeats the question. To get out of it I have to switch PC off.