Author Topic: 710beta3 install problem  (Read 7233 times)

cboath

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
710beta3 install problem
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:02:54 pm »
I keep getting this.

Copying DVD to hard drive
cp: reading '/cdrom/lmce-image/./firstboot': input/output error
cp: reading '/cdrom/lmce-image/./linux-mce.tar.gz_00': input/output error

I would guess that it is a problem with the image and I have to redownload.  Can somone confirm that please or is it possibly the hardware?  I have been a windows person so long and am new to linux so I want to make sure my head isn't all messed up with windows logic or anything.

Thanks in advance.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 710beta3 install problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:03 pm »
It looks like it is complaining about not being able to read the DVD. dmesg should tell you why exactly, but generally you either have to burn a new DVD, re-seat the cables connecting the DVD drive to the motherboard, or if those don't work replace the DVD drive.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »
And don't forget to check the md5sum on ISOs before burning them.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

noob-untu

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:42 am »
im getting one of the same error code from the DVD i386 0710_Beta_3.3980072

so-far i've tryed reburning at a lower speed and now it seems i have 2 dvd costers to add to the pile of funky burns. the md5 seemed to mach the iso too. that is if it sumed right.

abdacf4fedadc2ece7bdab25a1162d52    LinuxMCE-DVD-0710Beta3-i386.iso

i got it off of the mirrors link
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3980072

so now im DL the cd's... i hope they work

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 12:34:03 pm »
im getting one of the same error code from the DVD i386 0710_Beta_3.3980072

so-far i've tryed reburning at a lower speed and now it seems i have 2 dvd costers to add to the pile of funky burns. the md5 seemed to mach the iso too. that is if it sumed right.

abdacf4fedadc2ece7bdab25a1162d52    LinuxMCE-DVD-0710Beta3-i386.iso

i got it off of the mirrors link
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3980072

so now im DL the cd's... i hope they work

looks to me like you eaither have a bad download of Beta3 or you are still not getting a clean burn. I know that the Beta3 base iso is good... we have burnt it and installed it many time... as have many others here too. So I would guess its a local problem with your download or hardware.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

R4yv3n

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:04:18 am »
I have the same problem, I have a couple of laptops and PC not to mention I went out and bought a brand new LG DVD DL writer to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Did I mention that I've downloaded the 710-beta3 DVD image four times in three days form different mirrors??

Ok enough grumbling..

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3546.msg20863#msg20863
I used the instructions listed in the link above to try manually installing 710 beta3. When I get to this part

cat /media/linuxmce/lmce-image/linux-mce.tar.gz_0{0,1} | gzip -cd | tar xvf -

it dies when trying to unpack the linux-mce.tar.gz_01 and says the file is not a gzip file. Going back to the downloaded image I find that the same file doesn't appear to be a correct gzip either.

So, as suggested a bad download might be the cause of the problem. I find this odd given that the md5sums both listed on the linuxmce site and which came with the download are the same, and it matches the iso doing a manual test.

So what happen? I'm not sure but I'm wondering if anyone could point me to a "good" copy of the DVD 710beta3.

I just can't bare to download another bad copy....... please help me keep what remaining sanity I have, not to mention hair.

Cheers!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:47:14 pm »
Sounds very strange - not sure what the mirrors are you are using, but why don't you try the bit torrents? These do check the integrity of every block downloaded as they go.

Are you saying that you have compared the md5 hash value against the md5 value calculated from the actual download? What about calculating it from the DVD you have burned? One of the most common issues is a defect in the burn process, especially from burning too fast. If the MD5s match the download from the bit torrent I can only assume you have a burn issue....

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:37:25 pm »
Those instructions are for beta2, does linux-mce.tar.gz_01 even exist on the DVD ISO you have?.
-- Anonymous

R4yv3n

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 05:22:29 pm »
Yes, in fact both linux-mce.tar.gz_00 and 01 but there in /home and not where the author of the instructions mounts it.

To see this in action just boot up the DVD 710 beta3 and when you get to the part where you need to choose your install hard drive, simply Ctrl + F2 to change virtual terminals. Then do "sudo /bin/bash" and cd into /home/lmce-image. That or losetup /dev/loop1 /dir/path/LinuxMCE-DVD-DL-0710Beta3-i386.iso then mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/somedir. Then cd /home/lmce-image.

When you use a tool like KDE's Konqueror it will say "unknown" under file type, curiously enough it will show that linux-mce.targ.gz_00 is type "Gzip file".

md5sum LinuxMCE-DVD-DL-0710Beta3-i386.iso
5bf3e57c8ec60a603ace07a645a1e175  LinuxMCE-DVD-DL-0710Beta3-i386.iso

cat LinuxMCE-DVD-DL-0710Beta3-i386.md5sum
5bf3e57c8ec60a603ace07a645a1e175  LinuxMCE-DVD-DL-0710Beta3-i386.iso

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:07:50 pm »
Instructions usually work better if you actually follow them.  And why are you using the upgrade DVD?  Maybe it is b0rked, I haven't tried that version myself.
-- Anonymous

R4yv3n

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 03:01:11 am »
Ahem, what I was doing was troubleshooting a problem not trying to follow the default install. I guess I was trying to install the "upgrade" cause, gee I dunno the file name give me a clue and says "upgrade" as opposed to "full install-710beat2.iso"?

Well this wasn't very productive, anyone else have something more constructive to say that doesn't involved the RTFM mentality?

Abekat

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 10:25:11 am »
Installing from the quick-install dvd, I got this as well:

I verified the checksum of the iso. I then compared the checksum of the file "linux-mce.tar.gz_00" from the dvd to that on the iso and they checked out too. Perhaps I just have a borked dvd drive, but it hasn't given me any grief before.

So please, let's at least entertain the possibility that something could be funky about the build. Unless of course my assumptions about the checksums are fundamentally flawed and can't be used to verify the validity of the files in question. (I which case I apologise for my ignorance).

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 03:20:27 pm »
Ahem, what I was doing was troubleshooting a problem not trying to follow the default install. I guess I was trying to install the "upgrade" cause, gee I dunno the file name give me a clue and says "upgrade" as opposed to "full install-710beat2.iso"?

Well this wasn't very productive, anyone else have something more constructive to say that doesn't involved the RTFM mentality?

Something more constructive, now let's see, how about... good luck!
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:22 am »
Installing from the quick-install dvd, I got this as well:

I verified the checksum of the iso. I then compared the checksum of the file "linux-mce.tar.gz_00" from the dvd to that on the iso and they checked out too. Perhaps I just have a borked dvd drive, but it hasn't given me any grief before.

So please, let's at least entertain the possibility that something could be funky about the build. Unless of course my assumptions about the checksums are fundamentally flawed and can't be used to verify the validity of the files in question. (I which case I apologise for my ignorance).

Ok... one more time. The Beta3 iso's work fine in terms of installation (that is not to say they are perfect... thats why their a beta right?)... but they do install ok. If you hit a problem with the iso then it is either a bad iso download, a bad burn of the iso (in my experience this is often the culprit) or your hardware is has some 'issues'.

Make sure your iso file is good, use the 'burn iso' option in your burner software... don't just burn the iso 'file' itself to a DVD-R. If in doubt burn the iso at a slower data rate... don't use the 'auto' setting us e say '4 times' or slower and see if that works.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Enigma55

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 04:52:05 pm »
I guess none of us know how to properly burn this iso because I am also getting the same error after burning mulitple copies and having them all fail.

cp: reading '/cdrom/lmce-image/./linux-mce.tar.gz_00' : Input/output error

What gives?