Author Topic: SCSI Drives not recognized  (Read 4168 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
SCSI Drives not recognized
« on: October 30, 2005, 03:12:05 pm »
I am trying to install from the kickstart CD ver 2.0.0.31 on an Intel server with an AMI megaRAID elite 1500 (467) controller.  I get stopped at the drive partitioning stage with the error "No partitionable media were found. Please check that a hard disk is attached to this machine".  The server is brand new and the drives and controller are verified to be working.  the machine will load Windows fine.  I ran the modprobe megaraid command but get the same error. Any suggestions?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:05 am »
Here's something that doesn't sound good regarding these controllers: http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2005-March/019975.html

Adapters with the following PCI vendor ID and device ID pairs are not supported by the megaraid_mbox driver:

vendor, device

0x101E, 0x9010
0x101E, 0x9060
0x8086, 0x1960

The lspci -n command can be used to display the IDs for adapters installed in a particular machine. Products with these IDs are known by (but not limited to) the following model names:

* Dell PERC (dual-channel fast/wide SCSI) RAID controller
     * Dell PERC2/SC (single-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller
     * Dell PERC2/DC (dual-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller
     * Dell CERC (four-channel ATA/100) RAID controller
     * MegaRAID 428
     * MegaRAID 466
     * MegaRAID Express 500
     * HP NetRAID 3Si and 1M

Both Dell and LSI Logic have indicated that they no longer support these models in the 2.6 kernel.

You can boot Knoppix and see if you fall into this category.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 01:30:45 pm »
Seems like I have the last one installed on my system. Is there a recommended RAID controller or do I have to abandon hardware RAID alltogether?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 09:21:02 am »
We're using 3ware cards, but somehow we have a boot issue with these too (driver loading order: it seems now the 3ware driver gets loaded before IDE - and before that it was loaded after IDE, so if you mix these, it doesn't boot).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 08:29:44 am »
I purchased an Adaptec 39320 dual channel SCSI card and the program installed fine.