Author Topic: Internal Network Configuration  (Read 1142 times)

jpmswiss

Internal Network Configuration
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:19:51 pm »
Glad to report that I got my core up and running a while ago (A/V files OK)  ;D and am ready to take the plunge with other devices, such as the first media director. However - i am stumbling around with the network configuration and hope that some kind soul will help me.

network layout

http://picasaweb.google.ch/lh/viewPhoto?uname=jpmswiss&aid=5161636331329313553&iid=5161636344214215458

I want to keep my external the way it is - as there are a few other users/devices accessing the internet. DHCP is enabled. Please don't make me change to static IPs !

---> How do i configure the internal (red)?
---> Or any other recommendations?

I fiddled around with turning DHCP on/off but I can't seem to get the core connected.

Some infos....

- I have to keep the core in the basement due to the noise of the machine
- The ADSL must be accessed from the top floor

Maybe this will also help fellow rookies get a step further with their installation!   ;)

Thanks for all feedback.

John

rnmixon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Internal Network Configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:25:12 pm »
If I understand correctly:
  • The external network adapter/interface of the core connects via wireless to the external world through your WRT-54 router and ADSL modem.
  • The internal network adapter/interface of the core connects to the media director over a powerline connector.
  • It looks like the media director also connects to the WRT-54 router - so it must have two network adapters.

Given the above, with one exception,other than the convoluted connections due to location/wiring issues, thinks look pretty standard:
  • Exception: Letting the media director also connect to the WRT-54 is an unnecessary wrinkle to work through. Let the media director connect to the outside world (both the other parts of your home network and the Internet) exclusively through the core.
  • The core should be able to assign a DHPC address over its internal adapter to the media director without interfering with the rest of your nextwork. Let it keep the default of 192.168.80.x
  • The core can be set to obtain a DHCP address for its external network adapter from your existing DHCP server, the WRT-54 router I assume.

Are we missing something?
Core/hybrid: Antec Fusion case, Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD 64 x2 4400,  1GB RAM, Global Cache GC100, Streamzap remote, ZCU000 ZWave, Hauppage PVR-500 to cable box, HDHomeRun to two HD antenna's in Scottsdale, AZ; Akai PT50DL14 50" DLP, Global Cache

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:36:51 pm »
Leave your External Router (The WRT-54) the way it is (DHCP enabled).

Set the External Interface of your Core to obtain it's IP Dynamically.

I'm assuming you need the wireless capability of the WRT-150n as that is the only reason I can see having it there.  If that is the case then you need to disable DHCP at the least and if possible disable any routing capabilities at all.  Basically just turn it into an access point.  I would actually recommend eliminating that router and replacing it with a wireless access point.  Your Core is the router, putting another router between the core and your MD's only complicates the setup, there is no benefit.

Set the Internal Interface of your core's IP address statically, It should default to 192.168.80.1.  As long as that is not the subnet of your WRT-54 internal network then that will work fine.

The Core will handle DHCP for computers on the internal network and the WRT-54 will handle DHCP for the External network.  You can NOT have computers connected to both networks simultaneously, they will not work.

Here is an example IP configuration for your network:

WRT-54 Router
WAN address:  206.13.31.11 or whatever your ISP gives you.
LAN address:  192.168.1.254
DHCP Enabled

Core/Hybrid
External address: 192.168.1.xxx whatever the WRT-54 gives you. (DHCP)
Internal address:  192.168.80.1 (Default for LinuxMCE this is the interface the Core will broadcast DHCP)

WRT-150n
Disable everything router and turn this thing into an access point.   Definitely disable DHCP.
If disabling routing is not possible on this box you must replace it as DHCP can't travel accross a router and you will not be able to assign addresses to the MD's that are connected to this router.

Clients connected to the internal network will be assigned numbers on the 192.168.80.xxx subnet and clients on the external network will be assigned numbers on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Hope this helped.

Let me know if you need more info.

jpmswiss

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:33:12 pm »
Today I sucessfully flashed the wrt-150n firmware with dd-wrt and should now be able to configure it as a wireless access point!

Now i have the following network-newb question....if my existing WRT-54 Router IP Address is 192.168.1.xxx will it be in the same subnet mask as 192.168.80.1 ??? If possible please recommend me a range for the static ip addresses and subnet mask!

I've got a 4 day weekend ahead of me and rainy weather on the horizon - so it looks like I'll have some time!

Thanks a lot!

Happy Easter

John

rnmixon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:58:15 pm »
John, The 192.168.80.0 network also uses netmask 255.255.255.0. BUT its on a completely separate network from the 192.168.1.0 network (your main existing network). Your hybrid/core is the router between the two networks - letting anything on the LinuxMCE network get out to the Internet.

The netmask of 255.255.255.0 just indicates that all addresses on this particular network (e.g. 192.168.80.1->192.168.80.254) are available/accessible). There's a lot more to netmask that will let you create sub-networks and so on, but that's a bit more complex and not really relevant at this point.

Enjoy your Easter LinuxMCE workshop!
Core/hybrid: Antec Fusion case, Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD 64 x2 4400,  1GB RAM, Global Cache GC100, Streamzap remote, ZCU000 ZWave, Hauppage PVR-500 to cable box, HDHomeRun to two HD antenna's in Scottsdale, AZ; Akai PT50DL14 50" DLP, Global Cache