Author Topic: linuxmce and PS3  (Read 21841 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: linuxmce and PS3
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 11:23:54 pm »
btw, for the orbiter you also need the following:

libsdl1.2-dev
libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
libsdl-sge-dev
libsdl-gfx1.2-dev
libx11-dev
libXmu-dev
libxext-dev
libglib2.0-dev
x11proto-record-dev
libhid-dev
libusb-dev

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 12:12:19 am »
Hi devs,

as predicted by tschak there are problems with the endianess. The serialization routines need some patching.
I'll look into ppu-g++ for ubuntu to speed up compiling.

best regards,
Hari

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:47 am »
Sorry to say I didn't get further last weekend, but I seem to be having a serious problem getting the pchdtv HD-3000 (a card built specifically for linux)  to work with linuxMCE.  Previously I had it working under gentoo, but have since erased the partition where the mysql databases were residing.  I am thinking about trying a couple of other myth based distribution just to see if I can test the myth setup on the ps3. I am still very committed to this distribution as it is so comprehensive.  But I would like to ask if anyone has had any experience with similar distros? Or maybe even experience with the pchdtv line of cards?  On the pchdtv forums they name instantaneous compatibiliy with the other distros,  I will experiment with this and report back.  I'd really like to figure out why it doesn't work here in LinuxMCE, and subsequently fix this problem.  When I get the backend working I will continue on integrating the ps3 into linuxMCE.  Once again I appreciate all the replies that I have gotten from you and will report back with any findings.  Cheers!

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 03:54:43 pm »
Sorry to say I didn't get further last weekend, but I seem to be having a serious problem getting the pchdtv HD-3000 (a card built specifically for linux)  to work with linuxMCE.  Previously I had it working under gentoo, but have since erased the partition where the mysql databases were residing.  I am thinking about trying a couple of other myth based distribution just to see if I can test the myth setup on the ps3. I am still very committed to this distribution as it is so comprehensive.  But I would like to ask if anyone has had any experience with similar distros? Or maybe even experience with the pchdtv line of cards?  On the pchdtv forums they name instantaneous compatibiliy with the other distros,  I will experiment with this and report back.  I'd really like to figure out why it doesn't work here in LinuxMCE, and subsequently fix this problem.  When I get the backend working I will continue on integrating the ps3 into linuxMCE.  Once again I appreciate all the replies that I have gotten from you and will report back with any findings.  Cheers!

I assume you mean you put off working on PS3 to get your PCHDTV HD-3000 card working in a separate PC machine (because the PS3 has HDMI builtin). You might find the post about a hybrid with PCHDTV-5500 useful. If you get it working, would you add an entry for the HD-3000 to the wiki (an actual article, not just a link to this discussion)? Good luck.

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:00 am »
Okay while trying out some of the other myth distros to determine what was going wrong I noticed the card seemed to be sometimes in lspci and sometimes not!  So I cleaned the case out and blasted the dustbunnies aside, reseated the card and tried out beta4 finally.  I followed these instructions:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/PcHDTV_HD5500

and the card works flawlessly like it once did before under gentoo.  Ok, minor dustbunny disaster averted, who knows really what it was as it's a fresh install of beta 4 as well.  Anyhow on to ps3 fun. So in my experimentation with the mythtv centric distros I was able to get the ps3 to connect but video was always choppy, so I installed a minimal ubuntu mythtv setup using these instructions:

http://psubuntu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1805

edited /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt on the ps3 appropriately so it will use the linuxMCE installation as backend.

Code: [Select]
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
Now at this point I got sound but no Video, I didn't get the expected smooth video like the author of the external post claims, but maybe it's because I'm reading raw terrestrial broadcast DVB?  Maybe I should be transcoding these videos when they are done to a friendlier format?  Anyhow, I changed the ps3 linux's xorg.conf back to the original and I could actually watch SD and HD content, but it was choppy at best, frozen at worst, though the sound came through just fine beyond any initial hiccups in both versions of xorg.conf.  There's a wiki page dedicated to this topic at mythtv:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_on_Playstation3

That's where I found the link to the other post on the psubuntu forums.  There's even information about getting the controllers to work in both wired and wireless modes.  Which wouldn't it be nice to be able to use a ps3 remote as your linuxMCE gyromouse?  At least another option to pursue.

So the video issue is limping at the moment but growing stronger, and could have a promising future especially if Sony decided to release some documentation.  Sound is great! I'm using the optical connector and I'll see if I can't scare some surround content to pipe down the setup soon.  So far as in game OS support of upnp:  First off the mythTV in LinuxMCE at least shows up as a UPnP media server but results in error in all media I've accessed. I've been experimenting with media tomb and it works pretty well for pics and music, but video hardly ever works properly.  I'm going to continue to experiment with different encodings and post my findings soon.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:23:58 am by thoth »

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 11:33:44 pm »
Anyhow on to ps3 fun. So in my experimentation with the mythtv centric distros I was able to get the ps3 to connect but video was always choppy, so I installed a minimal ubuntu mythtv setup using these instructions:

http://psubuntu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1805

edited /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt on the ps3 appropriately so it will use the linuxMCE installation as backend.

Code: [Select]
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
Now at this point I got sound but no Video, I didn't get the expected smooth video like the author of the external post claims, but maybe it's because I'm reading raw terrestrial broadcast DVB?  Maybe I should be transcoding these videos when they are done to a friendlier format?  Anyhow, I changed the ps3 linux's xorg.conf back to the original and I could actually watch SD and HD content, but it was choppy at best, frozen at worst, though the sound came through just fine beyond any initial hiccups in both versions of xorg.conf.  There's a wiki page dedicated to this topic at mythtv:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_on_Playstation3

That's where I found the link to the other post on the psubuntu forums.  There's even information about getting the controllers to work in both wired and wireless modes.  Which wouldn't it be nice to be able to use a ps3 remote as your linuxMCE gyromouse?  At least another option to pursue.

So the video issue is limping at the moment but growing stronger, and could have a promising future especially if Sony decided to release some documentation.  Sound is great! I'm using the optical connector and I'll see if I can't scare some surround content to pipe down the setup soon.  So far as in game OS support of upnp:  First off the mythTV in LinuxMCE at least shows up as a UPnP media server but results in error in all media I've accessed. I've been experimenting with media tomb and it works pretty well for pics and music, but video hardly ever works properly.  I'm going to continue to experiment with different encodings and post my findings soon.

Can you get good video playback against your MythTV server if the client is an x86 running LMCE? How about using a MythTV client on an x86 running some other distro, like Ubuntu? If those are good, then have you tried the latest versions of the PS3 SPU video drivers under LMCE? I'm watching 1080p video with them flawlessly.

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 03:42:35 am »
Other myth-frontends are limited around here unfortunately,  one of the reasons I'd very gladly see the ps3 become one.

The first link you posted was the same forum post I had mentioned, though I have mucked around quite a bit since the "cli" install, I'll get a fresh install on the ps3 in soon and iron out these issues with the video.  Mathew, have you gotten surround sound to pipe thru? DTS or just Dolby?  Just curious as I do love my surround sound.

So far as the second link, it said I was denied access to that folder?  I even pasted into konqueror (I truly love konqueror for these kinds of tasks), and backtracked to above the pub folder and ended up here:

ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/iHDTV/

to no avail, still denied access to the MPEG folder.  Oh well, anyhow if video does play smoothly I guess the next step would be to set up cross-compiling and see if an image for the ps3 can be made?  And by that, of course, I mean start cataloging and exterminating the compiler errors that will flood the terminal.   I'll start on that as soon as I at least get video running smoothly on the ps3.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:57:14 am by thoth »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 08:13:02 am »
... Oh well, anyhow if video does play smoothly I guess the next step would be to set up cross-compiling and see if an image for the ps3 can be made?  And by that, of course, I mean start cataloging and exterminating the compiler errors that will flood the terminal. ...
you don't read my posts, do you?

regards,
Hari

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 05:37:13 pm »
you don't read my posts, do you?

regards,
Hari

Quite the contrary, right now I'm trying to assimilate the procedure outlined in the DEV FAQ, with the stuff you've pointed out here, in order to start building for the ps3.  I just really wanted to see that this stuff would actually work before venturing that far, that's all.

Is there anything specific I appear to be forgetting?  Once again, I appreciate your contributions!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:39:26 pm by thoth »

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 09:10:06 pm »
The first link you posted was the same forum post I had mentioned, though I have mucked around quite a bit since the "cli" install, I'll get a fresh install on the ps3 in soon and iron out these issues with the video.

I don't know why you'd have any trouble using the current SW, though it's the same post (the files it specifies using have changed - upgraded - since it was first posted). I'm using the current spu-medialib for problem-free 1080p HD video playback. Though when I installed last month, it was still necessary to run it outside of X (from commandline console, with X shut off) while the X drivers are being finished and a few bugs are still being fixed.

Mathew, have you gotten surround sound to pipe thru? DTS or just Dolby?  Just curious as I do love my surround sound.

I tested only with the HDMI to my stereo (2 channel) TV. I'd like to know whether full 7.1 audio can come from the PS3 with these videos. If you can find a 1080p/7.1 file, let us know the results.

So far as the second link, it said I was denied access to that folder?  I even pasted into konqueror (I truly love konqueror for these kinds of tasks), and backtracked to above the pub folder and ended up here:

ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/iHDTV/

to no avail, still denied access to the MPEG folder.

I'm sorry, the proper link is ftp://mpeg:mpeg@ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/iHDTV , with the username/password of mpeg/mpeg (or the basic URL I gave originally, then answer the login prompt with that tuple).

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:50 pm »
Is there anything specific I appear to be forgetting?
if i were you i would fix the endianess problems in SerializeClass (and maybe RA, have not looked at that in detail) first.. otherwise you won't be able to run DCE agains the core..

best regards,
Hari

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 12:06:26 am »
This topic has a lot of interest to me and while I'm no developer, I do have an interest to make my contribution to any interested developer, I have my PS3 running kubuntu already with bluetooth, wifi, 1080p, and all hardware working properly already setup.  I've been attempting to get LinuxMCE working, but really don't understand or know where to start.  So, I offer remote access to this console for any developer interested in having a crack at it that either does not have a PS3 or does not want to start from scratch.  Any takers?  I'm also interested in anyone who may have some step by step instructions they'd like me to test.

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 05:14:22 am »
Sorry for the delay in response been in west texas working on a project there.   I got myth working (under most conditions) from a psubuntu install.  So far as recompiling everything.  I got the compilation environment setup so far as I know how  (there's alot of good documentation on cross-compilations with the gentoo people, in addition to reading the linuxMCE DEV FAQ of course ;),  But so far as Hari's suggestion of changing endianness, I'm not even sure where to start.  I'm programming emdedded systems at the moment so I understand the concept of little endian vs. big endian, as bits and the ways they are organized is a good portion of what I deal with, however I'm a bit overwhelmed with the magnitude of code of here.   So right now I'm just trying to poke around and see how the DEV's are working together, and wrap my head around how I would commit my changes upstream to help everyone else if I were to actually figure out how to get this monster to compile (my usual compiles result in a 13k binary lol).  So try reading through the developer FAQ (it should sticky at the top of this forum), then try putting a psubuntu http://psubuntu.com/ install on your ps3, at which point you can install mythtv and at least acess certain media, I've had various success with upnp straight through the cross media bar in sony's OS.   If you make it that far post back.  I'm going to upgrade to 710 now that I'm back in Austin, and go back over everything and see if I can figure out this out.   If Hari's still listening maybe he can post some more hints about where the endianness is changed.

andybrauer

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »
After spending about two months on this I was wondering how to upload this via SVN

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 06:07:49 pm »
send us a patch via trac. ;)

-Thom