Author Topic: Blu-Ray player problem  (Read 33743 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Blu-Ray player problem
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 02:34:45 am »
Hmmm, good question, I haven't checked out B3 yet. Waiting on my new Media Directors to arrive. Is there any separate documentation available on these tools? I'd be curious as well...

However, still, I've done research on the decryption and ripping of BD-HD discs, and I still have not found 1 article that references software yet that can do this successfully on a wide scale basis. So even if the tools are present, I kind of doubt that they could be used Out-oF-The-Box to decrypt and rip a BD disc. It's possible those tools were intended for "un-Encrypted" BD materials, I.E. HomeGrown movies or digital content burned to a PC BD-Disc.

Just a guess. ???

BD and HD DVD encryption was cracked over a year ago. Try looking at SlySoft's AnyDVD tool....

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 02:38:16 am »
wrong. It's not cracked. Some player and drive keys leaked.. no guarantee for future movies.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 02:52:50 am »
Right and that's what I was referring to... there isn't some end-all-be all software out there that will gaurantee a sufficient decryption of all BD-content material yet. Yes I know it was cracked in a small test case over a year ago, but like I said, doesn't work 100% of the time.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 03:48:57 am »
I was just working from things I read on various sites, including Wikipedia:

Wikipedia - "There is also a commercial software player (AnyDVD HD) that can circumvent the AACS protection. Apparently this program works even with movies released after the AACS LA expired the first batch of keys"

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070517-latest-aacs-revision-defeated-a-week-before-release.html

And the AnyDVD HD site doesn't make any qualifications about what it can decrypt - just BD and HD DVD. The links I was reading said that the revocation approach is futile because it takes so much effort and coordination to revoke old keys, and on the 2 occasions they have done it, the new keys were available even before the revocation happened! The text seems to imply that the keys in AnyDVD HD are good for any HD DVD/BD based on AACS 3, until they do another revocation, and when that happens, unvariably the new keys will be available either immediately or before it even happens.

I took this to mean that you can currently decrypt any HD DVD/BD with the latest version of AnyDVD HD, and if/when they update the keys again (necessitating all BD and HD DVD players to upgrade/update their machines) that the new key will be available very quickly with a simple update.

Is this not the case?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 03:52:42 am »
Quote from: tschak909

yes, but transcoding is currently not an option, the entire disc is copied over in wholesale (as a folder), and the EVO files inside are played (with the largest file triggered first). A typical HD-DVD/Blu-Ray disc will take up approximately 30 gigabytes on your disc.

-Thom

Would it be possible to transcode after the disc has been ripped, using mplayer or ffmpeg for example, from a command line?  Waiting for the entire dvd to be ripped and no option for use in a media library goes against my intent for linucMCE.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 04:41:46 am »
well, gee. I'm sorry it goes against your intent. The reality of the situation is that currently decrypting and playing on the MD is very CPU and I/O intensive for the current crop of PCs.

-Thom

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 05:01:17 am »
So it should work right??

it looks like it uses a combination of aaskeys and dumphd

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123111

dumphd has a gui a I got a little furhter

Code: [Select]

DumpHD 0.4 by KenD00

Opening Key Data File... OK
Initializing AACS... OK
Loading aacskeys library... OK
aacskeys wrapper 0.2 by KenD00

Initializing source...
Source is a file: using file mode
Content type found: HD-DVD Advanced Content Video
Source initialized
Identifying disc... FAILED
AACS directory not found

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 06:19:24 am »
well, gee. I'm sorry it goes against your intent.
No need for attitude...
The reality of the situation is that currently decrypting and playing on the MD is very CPU and I/O intensive for the current crop of PCs.

-Thom

I understand.  I actually didn't think I'd be able to use Blu-ray at all for a while.  The way this thread was heading I thought it might be possible to get the video transcoded to something reasonable sized for use in a library.  Hearing that it 0710 can play Blu-ray movies is great.  If I could rip a movie then let a transcode run for several hours I'd consider making taking the plunge.  I'm actually much more interested in the ability to transcode and store than using a MD as a DVD player.  Whether or not it can play without ripping first is far less important as I almost never do this anyway.  I buy movies, rip/transcode them, then play them via MythTV at some later date.  If there is no way to do this with linuxMCE/Blu-ray right now, no big deal.  I can wait until the functionality fits my needs.

tkmedia's post is interesting though.  It looks like I may be able to rip and transcode BR movies outside of lMCE and access them from a MD.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take from the time you put a BR DVD in a reasonably powerful MD, say an AMD 64 x2 4200+, until you can actually start watching it?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 09:13:57 am »
1 hour 15 minutes on average.

-Thom

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 04:01:53 pm »
Sorry to to get back on topic  ;)

I have made some progress evidently /usr/pluto/tools/aacskeys/extractkeys is trying to pass assckeys only one variable so the keysdb.cfg is not getting updated with the keys.

I modified the extrackkeys.sh and it now fills the cfg

more later. 
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 07:20:01 pm »
I actually didn't think I'd be able to use Blu-ray at all for a while.  The way this thread was heading I thought it might be possible to get the video transcoded to something reasonable sized for use in a library.  Hearing that it 0710 can play Blu-ray movies is great.  If I could rip a movie then let a transcode run for several hours I'd consider making taking the plunge.  I'm actually much more interested in the ability to transcode and store than using a MD as a DVD player.  Whether or not it can play without ripping first is far less important as I almost never do this anyway.  I buy movies, rip/transcode them, then play them via MythTV at some later date.  If there is no way to do this with linuxMCE/Blu-ray right now, no big deal.  I can wait until the functionality fits my needs.

Why do you want to transcode a blu ray? Any kind of transcoding (that saves space) will reduce picture quality. Isn't one of the reasons to buy Blu Ray or HD-DVD to have the best picture quality available? With disk space getting so cheap these days (about 24€ct a Gig), I don't see a need to sacrifice picture quality at all.

rgds
Oliver

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 07:27:49 pm »
I actually didn't think I'd be able to use Blu-ray at all for a while.  The way this thread was heading I thought it might be possible to get the video transcoded to something reasonable sized for use in a library.  Hearing that it 0710 can play Blu-ray movies is great.  If I could rip a movie then let a transcode run for several hours I'd consider making taking the plunge.  I'm actually much more interested in the ability to transcode and store than using a MD as a DVD player.  Whether or not it can play without ripping first is far less important as I almost never do this anyway.  I buy movies, rip/transcode them, then play them via MythTV at some later date.  If there is no way to do this with linuxMCE/Blu-ray right now, no big deal.  I can wait until the functionality fits my needs.

Why do you want to transcode a blu ray? Any kind of transcoding (that saves space) will reduce picture quality. Isn't one of the reasons to buy Blu Ray or HD-DVD to have the best picture quality available? With disk space getting so cheap these days (about 24€ct a Gig), I don't see a need to sacrifice picture quality at all.

rgds
Oliver

If it's possible to transcode without any 'distinguishable' loss in picture quality than why not save space?  I can't tell any difference between the picture quality of my dvd rips and the original nor can anyone who watches them.  Granted, mine are not typically the 700mb files you normally see, they are usually 1.2-1.5GB..  but considering the original dvd was anywhere between 3-8GB, I see a great benefit from transcoding them to save space.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 07:58:39 pm »
Well, watching a DVD on  a (fairly) large screen really shows differences between a DVD rip on a regular single layer DVD disk, and the original. I want the best possible picture quality while watching a movie in my home theater. Watching on a regular TV set does not show much difference, but once to you go into larger sized screens you see a difference. And it annoys the hell out of me.

So, by going down from 3-8GB of data to a 4GB movie, I save about 1€. I am willing to pay this price to get the best quality possible.

YMMV.

rgds
Oliver

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 08:58:23 pm »
Moreover, guys, when you transcode a DVD to make it smaller but without loosing too much quality, you are achieving this by using a much more efficient codec than MPEG2 (not hard!) such as xvid, etc.

What do you suggest as a more efficient codec to reduce bitrate without loosing significant quality than the codecs used in HDDVD/BD(eg H264/VC1)?? You certainly won't get the 5:1 ratio you mentioned here even using the same codec without dramatic reductions in quality, even on modest screens.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 12:58:59 am »
Isn't DRM wonderful? ;)  I found this great, short and easy to understand article about it recently: DRM - in a nutshell

For years now I’ve been trying to define DRM and how commercial companies use it to lock consumers into a buying cycle.  Finally I’ve found a definition that’s just perfect.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous