Author Topic: Too high resolution to see anything  (Read 3315 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Too high resolution to see anything
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
Hi.  I just built a custom rig to run linuxmce and to my disappointment, it was not as easy as the video made it look.  My problem lies with my video card.  It's a gefore NX8400GS.  The quick install dvd didn't provide the proper driver to enable the highest UI.  So, I followed the steps outlined on the wiki for installing the nvidia driver.  That didn't work.  It kept reverting back to the vesa driver.  So then, I tried install 7.10 using the install discs.  I Installed the driver first before lmce.  It still is using the nvidia driver, but now my resolution is set way too high to see anything.  I checked the xorg.conf and the resolution is set to the the correct res.  (680x480)  I'm using a giant tube tv with a vga input.  It's native res is 680x480.  So, my questiong is how to get the resolution correct.  I can post my xorg file or anything else that is needed.  I'm so close, I just need my resolution to get down to 680x480.  Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs to my video card. 
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814127322

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Too high resolution to see anything
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:23:25 am »
Hi.  I just built a custom rig to run linuxmce and to my disappointment, it was not as easy as the video made it look.  My problem lies with my video card.  It's a gefore NX8400GS.  The quick install dvd didn't provide the proper driver to enable the highest UI.  So, I followed the steps outlined on the wiki for installing the nvidia driver.  That didn't work.  It kept reverting back to the vesa driver.  So then, I tried install 7.10 using the install discs.  I Installed the driver first before lmce.  It still is using the nvidia driver, but now my resolution is set way too high to see anything.  I checked the xorg.conf and the resolution is set to the the correct res.  (680x480)  I'm using a giant tube tv with a vga input.  It's native res is 680x480.  So, my questiong is how to get the resolution correct.  I can post my xorg file or anything else that is needed.  I'm so close, I just need my resolution to get down to 680x480.  Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs to my video card. 
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814127322

Can you get to the kde desktop? If the resolution is good enough for the kde desktop to show up then its probably not the video card. To get to the desktop - boot the core and hit esc to get to startup menu. Wait for prompt and enter password. Should be linuxmce for both user and password. Then type startx. There are settings that you can tweak on the pluto admin site to set your resolution. Did you see the AVWizard?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:25:23 am by lon22 »

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Too high resolution to see anything
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:24:35 am »
Don't worry about it.  I've given up on Linuxmce.  Apparently there is something wrong with my hardware.  I might try again when a stable version comes out, but I've run out my patience trying to make it work.  I'm just going to set up mythtv in Ubuntu instead.